Thread: St. Oswalds Social Club

Question St. Oswalds Social Club

I'm not sure if i've put this in the best place,but....!? Anyway, I was driving past St.Oswalds church in Old Swan,and i took a quick pic' of this building while i was stopped at the lights. I've always been curious about it's original use, as it's among various religious buildings,including the church itself, but looks to be of a totally different style! To me, it looks like it may have been some sort of theatre, or cinema,but it's position would seem to contradict this? Anyone clarify this

That's where my oldies got married. Before the war I believe

Default Wesleyan Chapel Old Swan

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I'm not sure if i've put this in the best place,but....!? Anyway, I was driving past St.Oswalds church in Old Swan,and i took a quick pic' of this building while i was stopped at the lights. I've always been curious about it's original use, as it's among various religious buildings,including the church itself, but looks to be of a totally different style! To me, it looks like it may have been some sort of theatre, or cinema,but it's position would seem to contradict this? Anyone clarify this
    It was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel. Built 1845 and sold to RC church in 1866

Mystery solved! thanks

Steven

Many's the pint I have there with father Gerry Wharton.

MarkA

Canon Gerry was a fantastic priest, unlike the soon to depart megalomaniac they've got now.

The old school/Montini club and I think the convent too, has had planning permission submitted to turn them into apartments.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    Canon Gerry was a fantastic priest, unlike the soon to depart megalomaniac they've got now.

The old school/Montini club and I think the convent too, has had planning permission submitted to turn them into apartments.

I knew him well and his sister Wendy. I organised a trip for us all to go to Lourdes, many years ago.
    What a great laugh we had. The manegeress from the Volunteer Arms (think her name was Vera) fell in that ice cold river.
    Last edited by Steven; 08-19-2007 at 12:06 AM.

Default st oswalds social club

this was the very first boys club I joined , although at that time there was not boy clubs and girl clubs, that was left to Girl Guides & Scouts. Iremember we payed a penny a week, but we could use a GREAT snooker table and dart board. That is what great days are about

That is the school I attended (notice I attended, and not thats the school
    I went to) joking I'm still common. Great memories of -----Peter cropper,
    Peter sadler, peter pope, john bingham, Bernie Torrington, Tommy Corner,John Roscoe and many many more i remember. If this jolts your mind please reply
    or get in touch with me at lesdanmon @yahoo .co.uk

Steve, check out Mart's old swan site, Mart is a member here.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.