Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Reece's (Bakery?)(Brownlow Hill?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Thanks for the info John!

I've added a page on my website and have written off to both the City Council and SAVE to see if something can be done about saving the boiler house. A lovely small tourist attraction to see an original boiler house working!

Buildings at Risk
    I wonder why there has been such a delay in redeveloping the Reece's site?

I notice that in dronepilots post there appears to be concrete park benches on the roof!

John

Another old bakery in Knight Street established in 1844,the family had one at 13 Green St in 1785 and after 10 generations are still baking in Stamford as Hambleton Bakery,making organic bread with just the original 4 ingredients instead of the modern loaf of 8 and counting.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Default Reeces Bakery

Hello, I worked there for 7 years up to the time it closed 1978 I think, drove past there last night and they have started to demolish the building.
    Had some great times there started when I was 15 the manager was Joe Kelly and his assistant manager was Billy Webb there was a supervisor there called Lilly Porter, always wondered what became of the workers that I worked with.
    I used to park my motorbike in the boiler yard opposite the entrance that we all went in to clock on.
    Great memories.
    Hope this helps
    Kenny

Blog Entries

Thanks GD, a great pic and a fascinating bit of local history too. 1785 - the bakers would have been working hand-in-glove with the local windmails back then? Everything produced in the neighbourhood, for the neighbourhood.

Default reeces bakery

Would love to see more pics of this bakery or video's

Debra

My auntie May worked in Reeces too , we used to get the bus all the way to Netherly on a Sunday for a lemon Merangue pie !!

Question Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    All of the pictures.

All were taken from the outside but there were some broken windows you could stretch your arm in to!

Is there another site were these pics went would love to view them for old time sake

I'll have to put em up on a new account.

Went past here yesterday - they've started on the demolition. I doubt very much that the boiler house will be kept for any reason. Another strange land mark in Liverpool will go down the pan.

My Mum and Auntie used to work in the Hawke street site, I remember finishing school at St Nicks and pegging across the road to see them.

My cousin and myself snuck in there and we were by some pipes (must be the boiler room) and he pulled a lever (he still says I pulled the lever) and got scalded by steam and rushed the ozzy.

We never got in there again after that

Went past this site on the 79 bus on Friday and was saddened to see that most of the Boiler House has been demolished. The chimney was standing up until that point but I suspect that it too has now gone.

It's a real shame that this small building wasn't left standing and done something with to show our working past - but I suppose the council couldn't make any money from doing that.

Now the 79 bus route won't take in this building, nor the single white building at the back of the Royal Hospital.

Both were not major architectural feats, just another part of Liverpool History.

Default Reeces

Had a walk past the Boiler house and its gone.
    Most of the buildings gone now the canteen area is still standing.

Same all over the town really our heritage is slowly eroding for the more modern look which I dont really like.
    The Pier Head is a prime example of change, how different that looks today.

Default Reeces

Hi Mel
    I worked in Reeces in the early fifties on the bread vans Reeces was located in Hawke st behind the adelphi hotel they had a lot of cake shops around liverpool and made great cakes the custards and eccles cake when hot were great
    best wishes
    Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by melangell View Post
    Hello all,

Hope this is in the right section! I've been talking with my dad lately, and he was telling me that as a bakery machinery engineer/installer in the mid 60's, he used to visit premises he thinks were on Brownlow Hill (behind the Adelphi) known as Reeces bakery?
    I have found references to Reeces Restaurant in the city centre, but none to the bakery - I'm not even sure if they are associated.
    I've been to Liverpool last weekend to have a look if I could find where he mentioned - and there does seem to be some unused industrial premises on the left hand side of Brownlow Hill as you look up from the city centre - I am wondering if this could be the place he means? Looking through the broken windows, I really couldn't tell what it might have been, as it's been stripped out and is in a bad state generally.
    If any of you learned people knows anything about Reeces Bakery, or where it was, or if this is the right place or indeed anything associated, I would be really interested and would love to pass the info on to my dad, who is almost 80 now.
    We have a teaspoon with "Reeces" engraved on the handle which I presume came from the canteen or similar.
    Many thanks in advance!
    With all best wishes, Christine xx

I found this blog after looking up Reece's on Google because my Grandfather, who died in the mid-sixties, was a painter and decorator as well as a signwriter, and he told me he designed the Reece's logo.

Strangely, I live only seconds away from the Adelphi and the Hawke Street site, and never knew about the bakery, but have been watching the demolition of the site over the past months.

Thank you all so much for the information, and is it possible to see the photographs that have been removed/deleted anywhere else, please?

Debra

Hi Felicity , try Ged Fagans site inacityliving , he has some fantastic photo's on there ...

I spelled it wrong , it's corrected now .

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast