YO! Liverpool
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Reece's (Bakery?)(Brownlow Hill?)

Thanks

Default Reece's (Bakery?)(Brownlow Hill?)

Hello all,

Hope this is in the right section! I've been talking with my dad lately, and he was telling me that as a bakery machinery engineer/installer in the mid 60's, he used to visit premises he thinks were on Brownlow Hill (behind the Adelphi) known as Reeces bakery?
    I have found references to Reeces Restaurant in the city centre, but none to the bakery - I'm not even sure if they are associated.
    I've been to Liverpool last weekend to have a look if I could find where he mentioned - and there does seem to be some unused industrial premises on the left hand side of Brownlow Hill as you look up from the city centre - I am wondering if this could be the place he means? Looking through the broken windows, I really couldn't tell what it might have been, as it's been stripped out and is in a bad state generally.
    If any of you learned people knows anything about Reeces Bakery, or where it was, or if this is the right place or indeed anything associated, I would be really interested and would love to pass the info on to my dad, who is almost 80 now.
    We have a teaspoon with "Reeces" engraved on the handle which I presume came from the canteen or similar.
    Many thanks in advance!
    With all best wishes, Christine xx

ADVERTISING

PhilipG

Reece's were better known as a dairy, but checking the 1936 directory reveals that, in Hawke Street (behind the Adelphi Hotel), were their "Chief Offices, Dairy and Bakery".
    Yes, the building (or part of it) is still there.

Thanks

Default Thanks!

Thankyou for that info! and taking the time to look it up for me, I really appreciate that! I wonder if that's the actual building he worked in - it looks 60's-70's date - but walking round the back by the loading bay I saw there was an older part over the road too. Also you can see tiled walls inside, which tallies with food premises I assume.
    Very interesting!

Thanks

Yes, that'll be where he worked. The bit across the road is the power house, and would have once housed the boilers. Part of the premises is used as an undercover carpark whilst the rest remains derelict, and in some areas very bad condition.

Thanks

I've just walked past there on my way into town, I'm surprised that such a large site has remained undeveloped for such a long time. It must have been the late 70's when it shut which was only just after a new system was put in place to freeze their cream cakes (IIRC it used liquid Nitrogen)

Thanks

I remember the dairy.

The smell as you went past!!!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast