Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Islington House" (53 Islington)

Default "Islington House" (53 Islington)

Hello,

I am looking for any insights, information or even pictures of Islington before every thing was teared down (at least as Google maps suggests). My ancestors lived in 53 Islington which was sometimes referred to (in the newspapers) as Islington House in the 1860's and 1870's and were in the wholesale business. The name of the company was Doran & Co but their names were Kreinschulten (they anglicized their name to Schulten).

I wonder if anybody has pictures of the area or even the house from a later period of time or any information where the buildings might have gone.

Thank you very much

Blog Entries

My 'Guide To Liverpool 1928' is not much help, it points-up churches and the like only.
    While you are waiting you may find something on the site of one of our members (Ged)...

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7

On google street view,"New Islington" was the continuation of "Islington",alas there are no pics of this particular section of Islington because I also was looking for pics of this.

Islington ran from Churchill way to Erskine Street and I suspect the number of the property you are after,stood where there is all green and trees now reside.

The red brick building with the blue shutters is #52 to 54 Islington and #53 would have been opposite(red marker).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	21591  

Any Yo'ers could confirm this...I don't remember "New Islington" being called this so what was it called before the regen of that particular area? was it Erskine street in its full run to St Anne St?

Blog Entries

I'm also looking for old pics of Islington....145 Islington where Reay & sons had a tin works from about 1891 until 1960's

145 Islington was between Bidder Street & Canterbury Street

---------- Post added at 11:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

there's a map here
    http://liverpoolhistorysocietyquesti...ngton-row.html

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Ged,you got that ordenance map from the LRO? for this area

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

That map is too old,Mandy? we need one round about the 20's or 30's

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Any Yo'ers could confirm this...I don't remember "New Islington" being called this so what was it called before the regen of that particular area? was it Erskine street in its full run to St Anne St?

This should be interesting..

I cant wait to see what comes up about the old warehouses and bombdies I played in as a kid..
    Starter for 10...

Name the sweet shop that stood where the street light was in the google map view..?

And to win the chocolate frog ?

Name the pub that blew up in an explosion by the block on the right in the Google map view..

And to win a tour of the area.... by me....telling everything about the area..
    name the person who had the pub when it blew up...
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

I'm interested only because I used to work in Edmondsons Lemonade,when I moved to Cantril Farm I used to take various routes from London Road were I got off the bus and walked down Stafford St through the area of Soho St I certainly don't remember it being Called "New Islinton" nor was there a graveyard so me mind is a blank in that area hence me wanting to see pics as it was before clearence.

Ged,you got that ordenance map from the LRO? for this area

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 AM ----------

That map is too old,Mandy? we need one round about the 20's or 30's

As Mandy's map rightly states. Islington ran right from William Brown St to Shaw st. There's old pics of the lodging houses on Islington on my site. I'll dig one or two out later. Some fine old mansion houses they were at one time by the looks of it.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

New Islington George was only created in the 70s.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

I'm interested only because I used to work in Edmondsons Lemonade,when I moved to Cantril Farm I used to take various routes from London Road were I got off the bus and walked down Stafford St through the area of Soho St I certainly don't remember it being Called "New Islinton" nor was there a graveyard so me mind is a blank in that area hence me wanting to see pics as it was before clearence.

I remember it all..like yesterday..
    I grew up there... and still live there.. it was my playground
    and I know all about the area.... more than anybody on here..
    And thats from experience.. not books.. or the back of photographs..
    or from searching google all day..
    I dont get asked.. so I don't answer..

Hope you find what you are looking for...
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

I assume the original poster is asking anybody, you included Gerard. Come on, you're older, you're bound to remember more and living in the area. I used to love getting our bommie wood from those bombdies, it never seemed to run out year after year but i'm only talking 70s onwards, you'll be talking 60s.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    As Mandy's map rightly states. Islington ran right from William Brown St to Shaw st. There's old pics of the lodging houses on Islington on my site. I'll dig one or two out later. Some fine old mansion houses they were at one time by the looks of it.

---------- Post added at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

New Islington George was only created in the 70s.
    any pics further up by Canterbury st ?

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

I think so, internet running too slow in work to upload pics as i've all sorts of work applications open. Will try later though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I think so, internet running too slow in work to upload pics as i've all sorts of work applications open. Will try later though.
    thanks Ged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast