Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hope Street Area

Default Hope Street Area

The Hope Street Guide

www.hopestreet.info

Hope Street Hotel

Hope Street Hotel is Liverpool’s first boutique hotel. Centrally located in the city’s cultural quarter, between the cathedrals, across the road from the concert hall and surrounded by theatres and restaurants. Built in 1860 in the style of a Venetian palazzo - a delightful privately owned Design Hotel, passionately run with thoughtful service and comfortable contemporary interiors.

www.hopestreethotel.co.uk

Blog Entries

Thanks Howie Eek am I looking in the correct place for the areas history? I cannot see it.
    Last edited by Kev; 04-18-2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

60 Hope Street

60 Hope Street restaurant cafe bar is Liverpool's newest venue
    for fine dining at the centre of the Georgian heart of the city.

www.60hopestreet.com

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Thanks Howie Eek am I looking in the correct place for the areas history? I cannot see it.
    There's a bit of history, St.James's Cemetery, etc., in The Hope Street Guide here.

Hope Street, Liverpool

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Street,_Liverpool

The Hope Street Association

The Hope Street Association (HOPES) is a voluntary organisation which actively brings together and promotes the arts, business, community, educational and religious interests of the Hope Street Quarter. The Association builds on Livepool's strengths, bringing together physical, cultural and economic regeneration.

www.merseyworld.com/hopest/frames.html

Yeah, you're right Gnomie. It was a good around there in those days - 1970's 80's. I spent a lot of time around there with friends and their families who lived in Hope st, Faulkner st and other streets around there. I never went to the Casablanca club but I knew someone who was a regular.

I remember the Chauffers.

We used to go in the Crack in Rice st. The Caledonian and the Blackburn, and of course the Philharmonic pub. What was the name of the pub that was later called Peter Kavanaghs ? - originally it wasn't called that, it had another name. Was it the Grapes?? It's on Egerton st.

Do you remember the grocers on the corner of Faulkner and Hope st ? (not sure what year it closed tho' - could have been in the 70's). My friend's family used to get the shopping there.
    There was a general shop around the corner on canning st. It's still there I think. We'd go there for the Echo, cigs, sweets and stuff.

I used to go to art college in Hope place.

Margaret Simey lived in a lovely old house on the side of Blackburn House(girls school).
    Wonder why that school ever closed ?? It was a good school in those days.

Those huge houses are fabulous. What a shame that so many were demolished - I can just about remember those big 3 & 4 storey ones on Parliament st, Grove st, and around about. There are a few surviving thank God ! Imagine how fantastic it would have been if all those grand buildings had been renovated.

Liverpool School of Art & Design, 68 Hope Street

The school is one of the oldest Art Schools in the UK and provides quality relevant programmes of creative and critical study in Art and Design which are accessible to the widest possible range of regional, national and international students and which are appropriate preparation for a broad range of employment opportunities.

The main building of the
    Art School is a Grade II listed
    structure dating back to 1883.

www.ljmu.ac.uk/LSA
    www.ljmu.ac.uk/artschool

Gnomie

I wasnt there until 1984. i remember The Pilgrim and the Belvedere. The Blackburne was our regular.I knew Margaret Simey, what a great personality she had. My sister went to Blackburne School.

The Casablanca had a room for dancing. just a dark room with a juke box in the corner. but what a great place to go

The Initiative Factory (inc. The Casa), 29 Hope Street

The Initiative Factory was established in 1998 and its key objectives are to relieve poverty, sickness and hardship and to advance education within Merseyside.

The Initiative Factory operates in Liverpool and one of its founding purposes is to alleviate poverty and hardship amongst dockworkers and their families and dependants on Merseyside and to promote and support educational and training schemes. Those aims and objectives are now being extended to the wider community of Merseyside.

initfactory.gn.apc.org

Unity Theatre, 1 Hope Place

The Unity name is one of the last reminders of a national theatre movement that once played an important role in the theatrical and political life of the country. The Unity Theatre movement included 250 groups before the war, loosely linked in the Left Book Club Theatre Guild.

www.unitytheatreliverpool.co.uk

Hope Street Ltd, 13a Hope Street

Since 1988 hope street has been central to the regeneration of Merseyside's creative industries by training a new generation of dynamic, multi-skilled arts practitioners including actors, directors, designers, workshop leaders, community artists and technicians, and providing them with a springboard into the profession.

www.hope-street.org

Everyman Bistro, 5-9 Hope Street

The Everyman Bistro was founded 35 years ago by Paddy Byrne and Dave Scott – later to be joined by Tim Byrne our 3rd partner. In the basement of the old ‘Hope Hall’ with little more than a domestic cooker and a trestle table or two Paddy and Dave turned out food that had never been seen in Liverpool (or anywhere else) before at that time.

www.everyman.co.uk

Liverpool Everyman, 13 Hope Street

Founded in 1964 in the appropriately named Hope Hall (once a chapel, then a cinema), in an area of Liverpool noted for its bohemian environment and political edge, the Everyman quickly built a reputation for ground-breaking work. A succession of visionary directors, exciting writers, and bold young acting companies kept the theatrical flame alive for decades, and the Everyman was the crucible for an astonishing range of theatrical talent. Julie Walters, Bernard Hill, Antony Sher, Bill Nighy, Alan Bleasdale, Willy Russell, Barbara D!ckson, Matthew Kelly, Cathy Tyson, David Morrissey, several McGanns and the Liverpool Poets all considered the Everyman a formative home in their early years. The intimacy of the Everyman’s thrust space has wrapped itself around the reinterpretation of classics that characterised the sixties; the political drama and theatrical mischief that followed in the early seventies; the rich vein of new writing which bridged the transition to the eighties, and the ambitious theatricality which carried it into the nineties.

Since January 2004, the Everyman has been a producing theatre once again, and the cornerstone of its programme is the living writer. Whether it is the debut of a new Liverpool playwright, a new version of a world classic, or the British première of a major international play, the warmth and dynamism of the Everyman space embraces each of the stories that traverse its stage.

www.everymanplayhouse.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast