Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: Hullo Old Home

Hi Brian,fancy us both remembering that accident,she was ok but was off school for a long time.
    My family left Lodge Lane and went to live in Bootle about a year or so after that.

Blog Entries

Really enjoyed your little bit of family history Brian...

Blog Entries

That's it I'm not reading any more of this!
    I've got as far as 17, & my wife thinks I've left home.
    You've been told may times to get it published. How many more times must it be said?
    I've sent you a PM. Please read it.
    If Jeff Pearce managed it the so can you Brian.
    I'm ready to place my order right away.

Blog Entries

Hi Mickey,
    I never received your pm, I would have replied .Well what can I say,I have'nt got the mental energy to try and flog this story to some publisher,I would'nt want to change it so that it might sell.What makes me happy is the messages I get from people who have read it.Part of it has been published by the Gaston Historical Society and it is on two other websites as well,so it is geting read,my biggest fan is a maritme novelist who lives in Estonia,he's a few years younger than me and is still at sea. I get a kick out of,he is published in the States but he still reads my little effort. Thanks for your kind words,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mickeydoolan View Post
    You've been told may times to get it published. How many more times must it be said?

I'm ready to place my order right away.
    Me too ! I'd buy a copy

Blog Entries

The memories of an old sea-going fart - who'd buy that?

OK, maybe I would.
    ;-)

IYABrian lad only a true scouser could use such turn of phrase ,cheers joe

]

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

[/COLOR]Hi Brian!!! Really enjoyed reading your memories about the tennies in Garston, you really brought my memories flooding back!!! I was born at home which was 40c speke Road Gardens back in 1955. Which block did you live in? We lived on the 3rd landing facing vineyard street. Our living room and bedroom faced the square. My mother also kept our flat spotless, and my weekly job was to brasso the two brass wallplates that hung either side of thefireplace. I too remember when we got modern fireplaces to replace the old black hob style with side oven. My mam kept that old fireplace//hob polished to the highest degree! She was forever scrubbing our part of the landing. She scrubbed it so much that it turned white!You lived in the tennies same time as me! My brother attended the same school as you, Gilmour on Heath Road. My dad worked permanent nights at the mersey tunnel when we lived in garston.....Every sunday afternoon during summer months, we would pack a picnic and go to either Speke Hall, Clarkes Gardens, Calderstones park, Otterspool prom, Springwood park, sefton park or get the ferry to new brighton and chuck bread to the seagulls who followed the ferry boat! I used to save up my 6d pocket money to buy the Beatles latest singles from a shop called Diables in the village. We used to shop at Lennons supermarket, they had their own brand of Starkist chocolate bars which my mam loved and she d buy at least 10 bars at a time and store them in the cold larder which was a small walk in room where she kept cheese, marje,eggs and stelly milk.Do you remember the 2 shops just around the corner from the Gay Cav... Frank Dunns grocery and Josie Caines tiny sweet shop? I always bought penny arrows on my way home from school everyday. School was Banks Road which was at the end of the cinder path and across the road..

Blog Entries

Hi Genten,
    I really enjoyed reading your post,it was chock full of memories and brought some flooding back to me. I remember those little shops,especially Josie's sweet shop. The younger assistant did'nt have a tooth in her head and she always had her hair in rollers! I remember the Gay Cavalier being built,I started drinking there when I was 16 and it was very well appointed,posh carpets and moquette covered lounge chairs. I was going to sea by then and was never asked how old I was. We left the Tennies in 1960 when the family moved to Kirkby . Your brother was about four years behind me so he would'nt of known who I was.
    When I think of my childhood Garston is the place I remember as "home". Write some more,I would enjoy reading about your life in Speke Rd. Gardens ,
    BrianD

Last edited by brian daley; 02-21-2012 at 02:23 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031