Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hullo Old Home

Blog Entries

Default Hullo Old Home

My name is Brian Daley,I was born 65 years ago in Stanley Rd.Hospital,and
    started out in life in Kirkdale.We lived in Medlock St. and then Fountains Rd.,spending a short with Grandma in Eton St. before moving to Toxteth.
    We seemed to be one step ahead of the rentman all my young life.In 1952 we moved to Speke Rd. Gardens in Garston,the first place we could really call home.We lived in a 3 bedroomed tenement,which my mother kept spotless.My elder sister and I were given household chores,which meant polishing the brasswork and furniture ,we earned our pocket money by helping to make the house a home.
    We lived in Garston until 1960,by which time I was in my second year at sea,and the family moved to Kirkby,to an old ROF house.It had a garden,our first,and the road was so quiet after the "Tennies" that it took the family some time to adjust.
    I was at sea when they moved in and,although I knew they were moving to Kirkby,they omitted to send me the address.
    I found them by asking in the first pub I saw when I got off the train,The Railway,yes they knew my Dad and pretty soon I was back with the family.But not for long,I left Liverpool in 66',shipping out of London and the Continent for a while.After meeting a beautiful young lady at a shipmates wedding in Oswestry,I ended up moving to Birmingham,where she lived.That was in December 1968,we were married in February !969,and are still together. We now live in Tamworth in the middle of England,this our thirty first year in the place and we love it down here.
    I am still a Liverpudlian,I was made in those streets,taught in Tiber Street and Gilmour Heath Rd. schools.The city,my teachers,my parents and family gave me my dreams and aspirations.I was a paper boy,an Appletons delivery boy,worked on Garston market,all while at school.My first job after leaving school was with W.E.Kearns,the butchers.All of those jobs were just filling in time until I could go to sea.Which I did in '58.
    I have a lot to thank Liverpool for,and I now take my children,and grandchildren to the land of my chidhood and they are beginning to love it too.
    I've just realised that I have gone on a bit long ,so I will say goodbye for now and post some more in the future.
    BrianD

Blog Entries

Bloody 'ell Brian

Terrific to read and a warm welcome aboard mate, this is the perfect place for such a fine fellow

Kev

PS have you checked out the Liverpool Houses section in the Liverpool Past area of the forum? You might find some piccies or put a request in.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Hi Brian welcome to Yo
    I went to Tiber Street school,what years did you teach there?

Mandy
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Hi Brian

Great to read all this. Welcome to the site. That's quite a "Scouse Story" you told.... Much enjoyed. You didn't go on too long. I'd like to hear more of your memories, mate.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Welcome Brian.

Very interesting story.
    I think you meant you were taught in Tiber Street.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Welcome Brian.

Very interesting story.
    I think you meant you were taught in Tiber Street.
    Oh yes, sorry I misread that
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

chippie

Welcome Brian, what a story, I hope you enjoy the forum, they could use walking bookshops like you.

Blog Entries

Default Thanks

I'd like to thank you all for such a warm welcome,sorry if I led you to believe that I was a teacher,it was a grammatical error.But I was at Tiber St. from 1946 until 1952,the year King George V1 died.
    I'd love to catch up with some of the kids I went to school with,Ikey Harris,Tony and John Sproule,John Gerrard,Billy Duncan and the whole pantheon of kids who peopled my life in Lodge Lane.
    It's easy to view life through rose tinted glasses,but I loved it all,the impetigo,boils and warts,we were all bloody poor,but we had fun.
    Come May Days,when we had our own little procession,dressed in rags,true back entry diddlers.We had what a lot of kids today dont have,hope!!!!
    Our teachers,having come through a war,some of them two wars,used to fill our heads with dreams of a better world,little raggedy arsed mites being taught that there was a field marshalls baton in every privates knapsack.
    We still had an Empire where we could go and make a future,our classrooms had posters of liners in foriegn ports,maps of the world all covered in pink,as Arthur Daley would say"The World really was our Lobster"
    I'll be back up there tomorrow,28th of July,thats where my daughter wanted to go for her birthday present!
    We used to believe the words to Land of Hope and Glory,you should,if you live there.If you should come across a bald ,bearded,fat geyser wearing glasses and a hat,walking about town with a young lady and two grandchildren,grinning manically,that'll be me ,'cos I'm home.
    BrianD

Hi'ya. Nice to meet you on the forum. keep posting

Hello Brian,

Lovely to read your posts, you will enjoy it here the people are very friendly,

Look forward to more of your postings,

Jacky x

Gerard

Hello Brian and welcome

Blog Entries

Smile Liverpool,land of my childhood

Well,we got to Liverpool on the 28th.No disappointments to report.
    We drove in through from Runcorn,so that we could see the Airport and Bryant and Mays,both of which played a big part in my childhood.
    It was free to go into the airport then, and we children would sit on the balcony for hours,watching and dreaming.We would wonder where those silver birds were flying to,they were all propeller driven and glamorous.
    Bryant and Mays was where Mum and big sister worked,we lived in the tenements across the road,and,when the works hooter sounded a flood of green overalled,white turbanned women would spill across the road and through the gates.I cannot watch Chigley with my grandchildren without being reminded of the matchworks.
    We drove on through Garston and Grassendale, where I had my first job as a paperboy.I delivered to all those beautiful big houses in the Serpentine and surrounding avenues.
    As we passed along Aigburth Rd.,on our way to Sefton Park,I called to mind a time when I was an errand boy for Appletons hardware store in St. Marys Rd. in Garston.
    I had one of those bikes with a basket in front,and one very cold winter Saturday, my boss Mr. Moore,told me he had a big order for the Nurses Home in Grassendale;a 2 trip job!
    Well,I loaded up for my first trip,the basket was so full and my load so heavy that I had to stand on my pedals just to keep moving.The bitterly cold wind was biting into my cheeks and I was frozen stiff by the time I got there. The cooks were busy getting lunch ready for the nurses as I cycled back for my second load.The second trip was even worse, for the wind had strengthened and I was really at the limit of my powers................
    I arrived in a cold and frozen heap,the kitchen window was opened and through it came the aroma of steak pudding,boiled potatoes,gravy and carrots etc. etc.
    The cook took one look at my frozen physog and asked " Are you hungry son?"My heart leapt! "Yes" I replied.She disappeared into the kitchen and my head filled with visions of a steaming feast.She returned,"ere yar"she said ,handing me a single spring onion!!
    Back to Saturday,we went on through Sefton Park and I was thrilled to see that the houses surrounding the park were being refurbished.My memory of them was of dereliction and decay.The last time I was in the Park was as part of a contingent of Birmingham Trade Unionist's,taking part in the start of the Peoples March for Jobs.Days of Hope eh!

You know,I've got so many memories from that park alone that I fear I will bore you all rigid ,so I'll stop right here,because if I move beyond those Park gates and into Lodge Lane,I'll end up being barred from the site.
    Geez, my head is spinning with so many stories that want to be told.
    Thanks for reading so far
    BrianD

Oh Brian ,
    What lovely memories , I really enjoyed reading them ,
    My dad was at Tiber 1943/49 as were his sisters & brother , surname Minton , They also lived at 69 Tiber St, (small world hey ,)

Take Care ,
    i look forward to reading more of your posts,
    Love Karen

Great posts. George Melly said that Liverpool marks its children (in a good way), and your posts demonstrate that.

DaisyChains

welcome aboard !!

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast