Thread: Hullo Old Home

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Life amd love in Lodge Lane

With the coming of autumn,Maggie and my Mum enrolled the girls in a dance troupe,I was mortified,I wanted to be on stage;was'nt I going to be a Hollywood star?If I was going to get some practise,I needed to be in that troupe.
    After much whinging on my part,everyone agreed that I could join.Those girls could smell talent and I knew I had it in aces.
    The rehearsal rooms were over a shop half way up the Lane;Madame Cox,the owner of the troupe,was a tall glamorous lady,quite unlike the women who frequented the pawnbrokers queue.
    The rehearsals were very hard work,having two left did'nt help,but I knew I would come good.
    We spent weeks practising the same steps,it could have been boring as hell but for the fact that there were some very beautiful girls in the dance group.I was five and a half(but six and a half for school purposes and four and a half on the trams)and I really liked girls,one girl that I developed a crush on,Brenda,had legs taller than me.She was gorgeous,and I was her slave;I dont think she knew I existed,but you know how it is when you're a kid.
    Our gang did'nt spend all its time rehearsing,there were still some days of summer left and we spent these in the park.
    One Saturday we were sitting by the lake watching the model yachts tacking to and fro,when one neared the bank where we were sitting.I pulled off my pumps and waded in to turn it round when all of a sudden I plunged into deep water.To this day I don't know how deep it was in that particular place,just that it was deep enough for me to sink without a trace.
    I watched the waters closing over my head, the sun, shimmering into nothingness.Down I went and a blackness came upon me,I gulped and and everything went silent.
    I came to on the bank with Jess and Chicken kneeling beside me, they had dragged me out and got help to give me artificial respiration.
    I was shivering because everything was wet through,there were no rides with our fat man that day.
    Everyone was sworn to silence because,we thought,if our mothers found out it would be the end of our trips to the park.I was O.K. afterwards,but I had a terrible fear of the water for years .
    Well,Christmas was in the offing and we were practising routines for a Panto at the David Lewis,we were dressed as soldiers,in sleeveless red coats,white shorts with a stripe of red and gold braid,red tap shoes and it was all topped off by a little red pill box hat.
    The 5 of us were taken by our Mums to a photographic studio on the London Rd. where we had several pictures taken.
    We were all so proud of ourselves and I wish that I had some of those pictures now,but they were lost in the mists of time.
    The troupe did a show at a military hospital before the Panto,it was great because the audience were special.There were a lot of men in wheel chairs ,with every kind of dressing,behind them sat the walking wounded,the hall was packed to the rafters and all I can remember is the sound of non-stop applause and cheering.
    The journey home on the coach was electric,if this was show business then roll on the Panto!
    The day duly arrived when it was time for the show,this time the mums and dads ,and aunts and uncles ,would be in the audience.This was the big time,watch out Gene Kelly,Daleys on the way!
    Being the only boy in the teenies line up ,as well as being the smallest child ,they put me at the head of the line to lead the dancers on.The orchestra struck up,we we went onto to our steps and,as we got half way across the stage,I spotted Grandma and some of my aunts,so I stopped to wave hello.The only trouble was,the rest of the line carried on dancing !!
    That scene got the biggest laugh of the evening........and I was'nt chucked out of the group.
    Christmas was just around the corner and New Year was going to bring us a big surprise.
    Til next time,
    BrianD

Last edited by brian daley; 07-07-2008 at 02:54 PM.