This was taken on 18th July 1966 during that crazy summer of World Cup football and World Cup Willie.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Mirror news board reads 'Last Nights big games: Full reports', however, there were no games on 17th so the poster must be at least a day old.

There were games on 16th including England beating Mexico 2-0 with goal in either half from Manchester United's Bobby Charlton and Liverpool's Roger Hunt, staged at Wembley Stadium in front of 92,000. This win found them leading their group from Uruguay, Mexico and France after their 3 games.

On the same day West Germany fought a 0-0 draw with Argentina at Villa Park in front of 51,000 leaving the group standings as W.Germany, Argentina, Spain and Switzerland.

Also playing that night was Portugal who beat Bulgaria 3-0 at Old Trafford in front of just 26,000 fans, Eusabio getting on the scoresheet as he was to do regularly during the tournament.

The last group finished with the Soviet Union topping it from N. Korea, Italy and Chile, with the Soviets having beaten Italy 1-0 with a goal from Chislenko at Roker Park in front of nearly 28,000.

By 1985 I, myself was to have been to all of these grounds following Everton.

Also in the picture, the Taxi premises were to become Las Vegas amusement arcade within a few years, providing pleasure to a number of the Gerard Gardens kids I could name and of course the well loved Ribble Bus Station can also be seen.

World cup Willie. Our only mascot to have come up trumps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us