Thread: St James’s Cemetery

Blog Entries

Default St James’s Cemetery

A dramatic vista with the Huskisson Memorial prominent. The descent from the Cathedral This Bank Holiday Monday, I took a couple of visitors around the Anglican Cathedral. Having marvelled at what I consider Liverpool’s finest building, we then wandered around St James’s Cemetery. It is really one of the most interesting places in the city [...]
    More...

To me its a nice hideaway, a haven where they can sit, rest and take stock. I think I prefer it as it is now - a place for quiet contemplation. It wouldn't be the same if, and this is the worst scenario, it had hoards of people chattering and snapping away.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    To me its a nice hideaway, a haven where they can sit, rest and take stock. I think I prefer it as it is now - a place for quiet contemplation. It wouldn't be the same if, and this is the worst scenario, it had hoards of people chattering and snapping away.
    You weren't sitting there yesterday about 1:15pm where you as there was someone doing just that when I walked through with my son?

No, I haven't been there for about week or so. I live just down the road and we sometimes take the dog for a walk there.

It's funny how we see things differently. I always think it's a bit depressing there. I find the steep sides and the cathedral towering above a bit oppressive. Can't explain why, it's not a place I like to linger.

Blog Entries

Weird how we see things differently, i've always been amazed how the Cathedral doesn't seem impose itself on the cemetery. It feels really special down there, I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    It's funny how we see things differently. I always think it's a bit depressing there. I find the steep sides and the cathedral towering above a bit oppressive. Can't explain why, it's not a place I like to linger.
    It's dramatic. I don't find it depressing. It might be Liverpool's counterpart to Edinburgh Castle on its rock above the Princes Street Gardens.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

I think it's being in the dell which is quite deep and surrounded by such steep walls - all a bit Gothic and something slightly unnerving in the atmosphere about the place.

( .. must be just me !)

The cathedral is wonderful - by the way

It all depends on the weather for me. I've been there in the autumn/winter and it is quite glum. Last Thursday, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and it was lovely.

I think it's time all Gothic sites got a new lease of life and were made cheerful places where the sun always shines... Birds could be imported too to help brighten things up a bit...

Others still seem to believe that a part of being Gothic requires a slightly unnerving element... but they're just miserabilists... Aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    I think it's time all Gothic sites got a new lease of life and were made cheerful places where the sun always shines... Birds could be imported too to help brighten things up a bit...

Others still seem to believe that a part of being Gothic requires a slightly unnerving element... but they're just miserabilists... Aren't they?
    I think that modern-day Gothic culture gives the idea of an unnerving element, following on Victorian lugubriousness (of course the time St. James's cemetery was extablished), but probably in the heyday of Gothic architecture in the Middle Ages it was meant to be more joyous and a celebration of God.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace