Thread: Rocket Flyover

Blog Entries

Default Rocket Flyover

ONE of the key routes into Liverpool city centre is to receive a major facelift.

The project at the Rocket junction at the end of the M62 motorway is part of the wider Edge Lane regeneration scheme.

Work on the 20-week contract is due to get under way early next month and will be complete by the end of December, in time for the start of Liverpool’s Capital of Culture year.

The project provides safety and security improvements, and will involve cleaning and treating the Queens Drive flyover and the installation of new artwork and feature lighting.

The subways will be refurbished and enhanced with new security features, while the carriageways will be upgraded with new traffic signals, signage and road markings.

Enhanced crossing points, tree and hedgerow planting, the replacement of pedestrian fencing and improved street furniture are also part of the plans.

Liverpool Land Development Company (LLDC) has warned there will be some traffic disruption. Most of the work will be undertaken during the day, but some work will need to be carried out at night. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The Edge Lane regeneration scheme Is evil when you want to cross the road or are In yo brothers car. Too long on that road.

Will security features eliminate scallies? Some *******s round there.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Thumbs up rocket flyover refurb - good job me thinks

although I do my best to avoid edge lane at all costs, I had to use it at some point so when i approached via Thomas Drive/Queens Drive route I was pleasantly surprised to see that the flyover had undergone a pleasing facelift. The lighting features (Liverpool 08 branding) on the columns are backlit in blue against a terracota coloured column with the underside/sides of the flyover also terracota - the overall effect made for a short but uplifting feeling as you enter Edge Lane. I havent approached from the M62 yet so I'm not sure if the same feeling can be felt from that route. However, saying all this, I knew what it looked like previously so the refurb may not have the same impact on CoC visitors as it had on me.

Morgo444

I think it looks ace as you come off the end of the M62 now, especially after dark. A shame though the blue neon line across the top of the flyover stops about three quarters of the way over to the left ... it looks unfinished, for the sake of another hundred metres or so of lighting.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by iain View Post
    I think it looks ace as you come off the end of the M62 now, especially after dark. A shame though the blue neon line across the top of the flyover stops about three quarters of the way over to the left ... it looks unfinished, for the sake of another hundred metres or so of lighting.
    I think it has something to do with the houses on the Stonycroft Queens Drive side - perhaps they didn't want a constant blue light reflecting in to their windows?

Default community spirit?

lack of community spirit, i live opposite a field which is constantly in use for all age groups of football so the cars parking on thomas lane at these times can be a 'mare but the social aspect of those taking part or supporting is by more far important than being inconvenienced by a few cars so if the reason why the blue light isnt running the full length of the flyover is becuase of local resident protest then the 'for' debate obviously wasn't proffered well enough. Some times its a case of the sheep syndrome.

Looks good in the evening now.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Just think,this was all that was there in 1914!

Pic' courtesy of L.R.O.

My girls love going over the flyover! Looks good at night! Can't say I'd like to live there, I'm such a light sleeper but I guess you get used to it!

Quote Originally Posted by LiverbirdLou View Post
    My girls love going over the flyover! Looks good at night! Can't say I'd like to live there, I'm such a light sleeper but I guess you get used to it!
    We decided to catch up with the rest of the 21st century and get double glazing

Personally I think flyovers are ugly looking in the urban landscape and should be torn down and a tunnel link be put in place.

Take a look at the walton flyover,the ground is already dug,it being the public walkway under the flyover and a large round about in place on the road this would be far more nicer looking than a croncrete pile of c r a p visible on the landscape.

Oh,and hardly anyone uses that walkway under the flyover so its taking up valuable space.