Thread: Feather Street

Default Feather Street

Hi There,
    Do any of you kind people know anything about feather St Liverpool.My mother lived there when she was a little girl with her family.She attended St Josephs R C school so I take it that Feather St was not that far from her school.She would have been at this school about 1921.
    Regards

Hello luketom. My ancestors and I are from that area too so i've taken a particular interest in it and included old photos of the area in the books I have written.

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?g=27070864

You will find Feather Street circled on the map below (faintly in red just above the middle slightly to the left). The Spice Mill mentioned was within sight of my mams family's house on Kilin Street (also shown) - my dad lived just across the road.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And here is Feather Street itself in 1927 as recorded by the City Engineers Dept. It's your lucky day

This is Downe St showing the Spice Mill on Feather st.

This area was one of the most over populated areas in the city after the arrival of many Irish fleeing the potato famine around 1847.

I too went to St. Josephs school (real name Bishop Goss)

You may see more about this on www.scottiepress.org
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Bishop Goss (St. Josephs) original school - entered from Cazneau Street.

The red brick school was added later. (pic by Joe Devine) This was addressed as Rose Place.

St. Josephs, Grosvenor Street is the church your mum would have gone to, that is the Presbytery next door which is still there. The small building was the club. The club later moved to the basement of the red brick school.

My dad was born in 1920, my mam in 1922 and both went to that school as did my older brother, myself and then my 3 children until it closed. My grandparents were married in that church.

You can see the old school on this aerial pic, the building with the red door. You can see the newer school to the left of it and the presbytery still standing on the other side of it. I lived in those 3 high flats next to it in the 1990s. All those flats have now gone and only the Denbigh Castle pub (the white building) and the schools remain.

If you need any further help, just yell.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.