Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Old Pictures of Liverpool

These photos are brilliant...I like the Crosfield road ones..I was brought up around there and remember going into that shop.

Thanks to everyone who posted
    Last edited by Klaatu; 08-14-2008 at 01:54 PM.
    "Such Power Exists?"

omg Ged just seen the picture you put on of the Abbey Cinema in Wavertree it brought back great memories, Saturday mornings, a gang of us would scrat around for enough money for one of us to pay to get in, normally from collecting empty pop bottles and taking them back to the shop for the money, then when that person had gone in they would go and open fire escape door and let us all in, it was great and before the days of alarms going off at the mere touch of a fire escape watched some great films and cartoons plus had a good time winding up the ice cream woman, we must have been nightmare kids in there but fun anyway funny how although we were right scallies in them days it was all harmless fun, like sitting in the laundrette on freezing cold evenings getting a warm until we got too loud and the attendant chasing us out with her sweeping brush!!

George

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

St. George's Place 1960 before that lack lustre parade of shops and Concourse House. A ribble is negotiating the curved incline towards its terminus.

The site of what was St. Domingo Pit, a lake which when covered in ice, provided a rink for local skaters. It is the junction of Mere Lane with Breckfield Road North and Robson St. Seen here in 1937, the picture house is still in existence.

blimey! the road sweepers certainly done their job way back then.

y first Cinema encounter was that one on Mere Lane...Flash Gordon and Zorro's adventures,....wonder if the Fire escape exit door is still there well it was the only way in for us when we did'nt have a tanner.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

y first Cinema encounter was that one on Mere Lane...Flash Gordon and Zorro's adventures,....wonder if the Fire escape exit door is still there well it was the only way in for us when we did'nt have a tanner.
    glad we werent the only scallies!!!!!!

GED, your pics are amazing, thanks for sharing. I was taken right back into nostalgia-land with them, and was suddenly surprised to see one of Towson Street.......I was born there in 1939 Are any of those photos available for sale anywhere? I'll spend many happy hours browsing your photos now - thank you

Ged I have to say your photo's are amazing and have brought back some very very happy memories for me......you mentioned the Probe record shop....and looking at the photo has taken me right back in time.....that I can almost see myself in there.....there used to be a fabulous clothes shop near it....although it may have been part of it......they sold loon pants..any one remember them...flared they were with a type of stitched chevron at the knee....in the most flamboyant colours..I remember having a red pair with blue stars on....

The photo's of the Royal Liverpool Infirmary.. well what can I say......I did some of my training there..and one of your photo's shows one of the the round wards..they were called the Florence Nightingale wards and were quite unique.

One thing that has intrigued me is the David Lewis Theatre....I did not know of its existence I am shamed to say....or maybe I just forgot...but it is an exact duplicate of the David Lewis Northern Hospital.....my main training hospital......just seeing the photo and the likeness has brought a lump to my throat..... so many happy memories once again....

So my thanks to you for yet another glorious trip down memory lane

George

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie May View Post
    Ged I have to say your photo's are amazing and have brought back some very very happy memories for me......you mentioned the Probe record shop....and looking at the photo has taken me right back in time.....that I can almost see myself in there.....there used to be a fabulous clothes shop near it....although it may have been part of it......they sold loon pants..any one remember them...flared they were with a type of stitched chevron at the knee....in the most flamboyant colours..I remember having a red pair with blue stars on....
    Hahahahaha hahahahaha hahahaha hahahaha oh lord i remeber that shop indeedy twas where a mate bought his coat of many colours and I a shirt that was loud and snazzy until I looked in the mirror with it on

Those were the days we all looked a prat. pmsl

George

Quote Originally Posted by carole1000 View Post
    glad we werent the only scallies!!!!!!
    Scallies these days don't know nuffin,we used to clamber over the pub back walls,grab a few empty crates with bottles and take em back to the same pub for the deposit money.

John(Zappa)

Scallies these days don't know nuffin,we used to clamber over the pub back walls,grab a few empty crates with bottles and take em back to the same pub for the deposit money.
    You too. I used to do that with the Lemo bottles at the back of the offy

Great photos.. I was thinking exactly the same thing.. HOW clean the area was ... Bravo to the Road Sweepers of that era..!!!

We used to do the same in the back of Minsters in Wellington Rd, Wavertree!!! do you still get harmless scallies now!!!! you can bet your life they would not do that for the few coppers we used to get!! god I sound like my dad now and I am only 44 years young

mrs zappa

Default pics wanted

Hi Guys
    does anyone have any pic's of Kirkby Street or any idea of where it was, my theory would place it around William Henry Street please help if you can
    Debz

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrs zappa View Post
    Hi Guys
    does anyone have any pic's of Kirkby Street or any idea of where it was, my theory would place it around William Henry Street please help if you can
    Debz
    spot on Debz.....it was between William Henry St & Langsdale St

source: Edwardian A-Z & Directory of Liverpool & Bootle pt 2 Paul Bolger
    Last edited by robbo176; 01-15-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: removal of map
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

George

mrs zappa

thanks Robo i didn't look at the map it was just by what i've heard. that just leaves the photo
    Debz x

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast