Thread: LNWR Bootle Branch

The Fat Controller Frank Savery's Avatar
    Tasmania, Australia. Previously lived for 15 years in Sydney,and 20yrs in Brisbane, Qld.

Default LNWR Bootle Branch

Hi all,
    I'm an ex-Pat scouser, born in Everton in 1945 and emigrated to Australia in 1971. I'm modelling a section of the ex-LNWR Bootle Branch Line as I knew it in the 1960's.
    First thing - at the back of his book " An Illustrated Survey of Liverpool's Railway Stations 1830-1985" Rob Gell mentions a book in preparation called "LNWR-The Bootle Branch" by J.W. Gahan and Paul Bolger to be published by Heydey Publishing Company,83 Crosby Road North, Crosby.

Heyday do not appear to have a phone number or presence on the www ~ does anyone know If they still exist and If the book is still a goer ~ or, has it sunk without trace ???

Second. With regard to the site of Breck Road Station on the Bootle Branch.
    The attached photo (by H.B. Priestly in the book Liverpool Corporation Tramways 1937-1957 Book Two) shows (unless my 40 year old memories deceive me) of the Townsend Lane railway bridge was taken with Breck Road, Anfield and Everton behind the photographer and looking towards Queens Drive.

Am I right in assuming that the actual Breck Road station site is on the RHS of the bridge ??? The Disused Stations website has photos showing the blocked up entrances on the road level, but I'm not 100% sure which side of the bridge they are on.

Thanx to anyone who can help.

BTW - For anyone trying to trace their way through the intricate maze of railway lines in Liverpool a vital book is "An Illustrated History of Liverpool's Railways" by Paul Anderson, published by the Irwell Press in 1996 (ISBN No
    1-871608-68-6). It's OOP but still available second hand.

Cheers,
    Frank Savery,
    Tasmania
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Townsend Lane.jpg 
Views:	4475 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	3817  

[QUOTE=Frank Savery;68986]Hi all,
    I'm an ex-Pat scouser, born in Everton in 1945 and emigrated to Australia in 1971. I'm modelling a section of the ex-LNWR Bootle Branch Line as I knew it in the 1960's.
    First thing - at the back of his book " An Illustrated Survey of Liverpool's Railway Stations 1830-1985" Rob Gell mentions a book in preparation called "LNWR-The Bootle Branch" by J.W. Gahan and Paul Bolger to be published by Heydey Publishing Company,83 Crosby Road North, Crosby.

Heyday do not appear to have a phone number or presence on the www ~ does anyone know If they still exist and If the book is still a goer ~ or, has it sunk without trace ???

Nothing showing in the Telephone directory for Heydey.
    I think John Gahan did a lot of stuff for the Merseyside Tramway Preservation Society you may be able to make contact via their website www.mpts.co.uk

Second. With regard to the site of Breck Road Station on the Bootle Branch.
    The attached photo (by H.B. Priestly in the book Liverpool Corporation Tramways 1937-1957 Book Two) shows (unless my 40 year old memories deceive me) of the Townsend Lane railway bridge was taken with Breck Road, Anfield and Everton behind the photographer and looking towards Queens Drive.

Am I right in assuming that the actual Breck Road station site is on the RHS of the bridge ??? The Disused Stations website has photos showing the blocked up entrances on the road level, but I'm not 100% sure which side of the bridge they are on.

I've attached a page pf the 1928 Liverpool Atlas which shows the stations and line at Breck Rd hope that helps.

Theres a nice video by Mike Delamar of the line on the Thread "Old Liverpool Railway Stations" which you should find if you do a search of the site.

Hope the above information useful

Kind regards

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map1.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	466.5 KB 
ID:	3818  

The Fat Controller Frank Savery's Avatar
    Tasmania, Australia. Previously lived for 15 years in Sydney,and 20yrs in Brisbane, Qld.

Thanx Rob,
    The atlas page is really helpful and shows that I was wrong in my supposition.

Can you give the details of the 1928 atlas (ie exact name, publisher) and I'll try and get hold of one on Abebooks ~ it looks as though it would be a really useful addition to my "Liverpool Library"

Cheers,
    Frank Savery,
    Ulverstone,
    Tasmania

PhilipG

Paul Bolger's address is:
    32 Birchdale Road
    Waterloo
    Merseyside
    L22 9QX

(Postal business only)

I'm not giving away any secrets.
    It appears in his books.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Savery View Post
    Thanx Rob,
    The atlas page is really helpful and shows that I was wrong in my supposition.

Can you give the details of the 1928 atlas (ie exact name, publisher) and I'll try and get hold of one on Abebooks ~ it looks as though it would be a really useful addition to my "Liverpool Library"

Cheers,
    Frank Savery,
    Ulverstone,
    Tasmania
    Hi Frank

Its from Bartholomews Atlas and guide to Liverpool 1928

I've copied most of the maps on an earlier post if you do a search

Regards

Rob