Thread: LNWR Bootle Branch

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Fat Controller Frank Savery's Avatar
    Tasmania, Australia. Previously lived for 15 years in Sydney,and 20yrs in Brisbane, Qld.

Default LNWR Bootle Branch

Hi all,
    I'm an ex-Pat scouser, born in Everton in 1945 and emigrated to Australia in 1971. I'm modelling a section of the ex-LNWR Bootle Branch Line as I knew it in the 1960's.
    First thing - at the back of his book " An Illustrated Survey of Liverpool's Railway Stations 1830-1985" Rob Gell mentions a book in preparation called "LNWR-The Bootle Branch" by J.W. Gahan and Paul Bolger to be published by Heydey Publishing Company,83 Crosby Road North, Crosby.

Heyday do not appear to have a phone number or presence on the www ~ does anyone know If they still exist and If the book is still a goer ~ or, has it sunk without trace ???

Second. With regard to the site of Breck Road Station on the Bootle Branch.
    The attached photo (by H.B. Priestly in the book Liverpool Corporation Tramways 1937-1957 Book Two) shows (unless my 40 year old memories deceive me) of the Townsend Lane railway bridge was taken with Breck Road, Anfield and Everton behind the photographer and looking towards Queens Drive.

Am I right in assuming that the actual Breck Road station site is on the RHS of the bridge ??? The Disused Stations website has photos showing the blocked up entrances on the road level, but I'm not 100% sure which side of the bridge they are on.

Thanx to anyone who can help.

BTW - For anyone trying to trace their way through the intricate maze of railway lines in Liverpool a vital book is "An Illustrated History of Liverpool's Railways" by Paul Anderson, published by the Irwell Press in 1996 (ISBN No
    1-871608-68-6). It's OOP but still available second hand.

Cheers,
    Frank Savery,
    Tasmania

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Townsend Lane.jpg 
Views:	4483 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	3817