YO! Liverpool

Thread: Walton lane board school

Thanks

Default Walton lane board school

Hi guys, i wondered if any of you could help me on this? ive seen a pic of an imposing building called the walton lane board school date 1875, i know walton lane very well however i cannot imagine where this place once stood. does anyone know? ie which side of the road ect?
    Simon Harrison

PhilipG

It was on the corner of Fountains Road, opposite the church.
    By the 1930s it was called Walton Lane Council School.
    Could you post the picture, or give a link, please?

Thanks

Hi phil, purchased, the print off ebay, but it hasnt arrived yet, saved ebay image as my aviator,but i aint that technical, so if you like, i can send you a hard copy when i recieve it, send ur post address to siharrison_@hotmail.co.uk thanks 4 info, sorry Kev if ive broken any rules, i noticed you moved this,
    Simon Harrison

MarkA

Simon, you can just post a link to the ebay listing if there's a larger picture available to view on there.

Thanks

thanks mark i think ive got there
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	48036488_tp.jpg 
Views:	507 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	3835  
    Simon Harrison

The Fat Controller Frank Savery's Avatar
    Tasmania, Australia. Previously lived for 15 years in Sydney,and 20yrs in Brisbane, Qld.
    Thanks

Hi all,
    I attended this school in the mid-50's. It was used as an annrxe to Walton Technical College in Carisbrooke Road (opposite the Tram/Bus sheds).

At that time the front part (onto Walton Lane) had been replaced with a modern-built section where building trade apprentices did practical work.

The rear part (down Fountains Road)was pure 1850's inside, but we kids liked it as the discipline was slacker than in Carisbrooke Road. The ceilings in the classrooms must have been 25ft high.

Walton Tech ceased to exist around 1959/1960 when we became the John Hamilton Technical High School in a newly built school off Breckfield Road North in Everton. I'd guess that the remains of the original building would have been demolished soon after. I don't think I ever went down Fountain's Road again, but I believe it all went in slum, clearence.

Cheers,
    Frank Savery,
    Ulverstone,
    Tasmania

PhilipG

Thanks, Frank.
    That explains why it isn't in the 1968 directory.

Thanks

Default Billy Turnbull

Hi Guys ,
    I've just found this forum, I was at Walton Secondary Technical School from 1951 to 1956. I remember Mr Gordon (French teacher), Mr Finley (maths) and Mr Jones (geography), Mr Bradshaw(physics), anybody remember any others?
    Bill Turnbull.
    Last edited by Billy Turnbull; 03-26-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks

Default Walton Technical Schooll Carisbrooke Road

I Popped into Walton Tech School when I was last in Liverpool in 1987. I wondered around and nothing had changed since I had left in 1958. I believe it is now a junior girls school (or bulldozed!). Anyhow some things I remember.
    Mr Harry Im metalwork. Mr Prescott (I think) English (we used to stick potatoes up the exhaust pipe of his car. He had a lavatory brush moustache ). Mr Gordon French (He could speak six languages and was in a concentration camp in the war and he lived in Southport in a house with a tall chimney . He told us he could see the stars if he looked up it during the day (he was correct). Mr Jones geography. Mr ward was mathematics and sport. The history teacher (I cannot remember his name)had a full head of white hair and would occasionally go into shell shock from the war in front of us all. Mr Bradshaw had a habit of sticking his tongue in his cheek. I left in July 1958 and the headmaster Mr Clarke dropped dead one week later ! I still have my school report from 1953 to 1958 (it was terrible!). I was not allowed to take my A levels as they all said I was hopeless! I am now a scientist with four science degrees including a Master of Science and am just completing a Doctorate (I waited until I retired to do all this). So all of those teachers were right as I achieved nothing in my working life beyond being a hard working labourer. If you see Mr Bradshaw anytime, tell him I was a late starter and that I would like to tell him where to now stick his tongue!

Thanks

I'd guess you would probably have to go "upstairs" to bump into Mr.Bradshaw,now!

Thanks

Default Davo

I well remember Walton Tech. Jogger Jones; Jedd Toolan; Mr. Moses (to be suitably PC I'd better not say what we called him) and the most encouraging teacher for me, Jerry Carr (English). I also remember Mr. Greenalch (forgive my incorrect spelling), who sent me to the Staff Room on my first day in school because, when Brian Braithwaite asked me "What page did 'e say" I replied "32". Greenalch (Chemisty) sent me downstairs where Jogger jones caned me like he enjoyed it! Like a previous contributor, I also had a miserable attempt at O Levels, receiving only one!!! I now have a Masters of Divinity and a Doctor of Theology. Sadly, no thanks to Walton Tech. Great memories, though! For a kid fresh out of Kent it was great to join a classroom full of lads singing Orange Lodge songs at the top of our lungs... in Math Class!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    I well remember Walton Tech. Jogger Jones; Jedd Toolan; Mr. Moses (to be suitably PC I'd better not say what we called him) and the most encouraging teacher for me, Jerry Carr (English). I also remember Mr. Greenalch (forgive my incorrect spelling), who sent me to the Staff Room on my first day in school because, when Brian Braithwaite asked me "What page did 'e say" I replied "32". Greenalch (Chemisty) sent me downstairs where Jogger jones caned me like he enjoyed it! Like a previous contributor, I also had a miserable attempt at O Levels, receiving only one!!! I now have a Masters of Divinity and a Doctor of Theology. Sadly, no thanks to Walton Tech. Great memories, though! For a kid fresh out of Kent it was great to join a classroom full of lads singing Orange Lodge songs at the top of our lungs... in Math Class!

Thanks

I also went to Walton Tech as it was called in 1956,later becoming John Hamilton 1958-59.Mr Hogg took over from Mr Clarke he did'nt last long either then we had Mr Baxter as Headmaster.
    Teachers I can remember Lawrenson -Woodwork, Hall -History Joe Green-RE, Harry Imm -Metalwork, ( Elvis) Prescott -English, Ike Moses -French,
    Wally ?- Music, Jogger Jones- Geography,Jed Toolan-Maths and Football, Tyson - Physics.
    I left JH in 1961 it then went Comprehensive in the 70s Changing it's name to Breckfield Comp.
    It has now closed down awaiting demolition
    Once a blue always a blue

Thanks

Default Walton Tech

I also remember Walton Tech and was there from 1954-1959. I remember Jed Toolan as my name is also Toolan so we may have been related but not in any way I have ever been able to find out. By the way the history teacher with the shakes was Mr Shaw. One of my best mates in that period was called Michael McCarthy who, I think, became a surveyor in Ireland. I also made the move to John Hamilton and, after abysmal O Level results managed to get three decent A Levels - to the complete surprise of all the teaching staff. Like many others on this blog I went on to have a successful career and now live in London where I am semi retired.

Thanks

Default Walton Secondary Technical School

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Turnbull View Post
    Hi Guys ,
    I've just found this forum, I was at Walton Secondary Technical School from 1951 to 1956. I remember Mr Gordon (French teacher), Mr Finley (maths) and Mr Jones (geography), Mr Bradshaw(physics), anybody remember any others?
    Bill Turnbull.
    I attended this school from 1954 to 1959. I remember all those teachers together with Mr Wally, (science) and Mr Lawence (Building Costruction). I was called a Builder at first but when the head master (Mr Dunn) moved to a new school, the next head , Mr Clark, changed the set up and we moved to Carrisbrook Road.

My Gordan was nick named Ike because he was Jewish. Some contributors to this blog remember him as Ike Moses but that wasn't his real name. He wasn't a very efective teacher but he had the redeeming characteristic of not either using the cane or sending boys to the staff room to be caned by who ever was at hand, mostly Mr Bradshaw the deputy head. I particularly remember a crazed old teacher who said he used to be in the Royal Flying Core in WW1. He was totally demented but it could have true.

There was a famous scandal from before I attended when the head teacher, Dr Oliver, was alleged to have bogus qualifications insofar as he had no qualifications at all. He was denounced by his deputy and commited suicide by drinking acid in a teaching laboratory.

It was a cold, brutal place but some of the subjects such Mathematics and Science were well taught.

Thanks

It was the Head Master, Mr Dunn (Eddie to us boys ) who stuck his tongue into his cheek. Mr Carke came in as head Mr Dunn moved on to head of a new school in Woolton.

Thanks

Default My first post

I was directed here by a friend. I attended Carisbrooke Rd from 1952-57. Just some points on past posts.
    I firmly beleive Mr Gordon was a good teacher, I found French the eaiest subject of them all.
    Mr Whalley, of the broad Lancashire accent, taught Music as well as Science.
    Mr Bradshaw did place his tongue in cheek when trying to put over a humorous point.
    I don't recall the 6'6" Mr Dunne ever trying humour, we only saw him at Assembly or for a caning.
    I saw Mr Toolan's obituary in the Liverpool Echo some 10-15 years ago.
    Perhaps the young (in 1957) maths teacher Mr Murray is the only possible survivor. Unless there are some centurions around.
    I don't recall a crazy teacher from WW1 in 1954. Mr Dean, Science, was a fighter pilot in WW2, but he only stayed one term, he was very weak on discipline, and the students took full advantage.
    The 1952-7 classes have had a successful annual re-union since 1952. I encourage other years to do likewise.
    There is a Walton Tech box file in the Central library, containing School Magazines, the Admissions register, etc. From this box file and other sources I have put together a potted history of Walton Tech.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Sorryi I meant we've met successfully since 2002.

Thanks

You will probably find it marked on this map of 1893 Liverpool:

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/map.aspx?compid=55207

Thanks

Mr. Dunne (eddie) did indeed end up as headmaster of the then new, and now gone, Hillfoot Hey High School.

Thanks

Nice to hear stories from Walton Tech.
    Its a pity Mr Clarks replacement? Mr Hogg didnt die prematurely before he caned me once to often.
    Mr Lawrence was no better with his piece of wood!
    For years, I dreamt of meeting Mr Tyson [chemistry] in some dark place to see if he could still pull my hair ....... [his speciality, when the receiver of his punishment was half his size] .

All in all, just about the worst experiences of my life, the teachers, a motley crew ......that I would not have let anywhere near my kids
    I am so glad I forked out 10 and escaped at the age of 15. the best money I EVER spent in my entire life.

Thanks

where is Dave Connor who went to John Hamilton? He lived in Pelops St.

Thanks

Default Other teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Turnbull View Post
    Hi Guys ,
    Bill Turnbull.
    Other teachers included Mr (Joe) Green, English and Art, Mr (Jack) Horne, Science, Mr Shaw, History, Mr Richards, Mr Prescott, both English, Mr Whalley Music, Mr (Archie) Rawlins (was he the WW1 veteran mentioned in this post?) he retired in 1952. Mr Finlay retired in 1953, and they named a house after him. I was in the 52-57 class, pupils I recall from the 51-56 era include Nelson, Owen, Glascott and Cornmell.
    There was a bombed church behind the school up to 1953, when it was demolished to make way for the playground during the summer holiday. Dinner was served at Chalmers Hall, on Westminster Rd, next to which was a chipshop where the owner had a St Bernard dog.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    It was the Head Master, Mr Dunn (Eddie to us boys ) who stuck his tongue into his cheek. Mr Carke came in as head Mr Dunn moved on to head of a new school in Woolton.
    I remember Mr Bradshaw sticking his tongue into his cheek whenever he produced a witticism. Mr Dunne was quite young, almost baby-faced, despite the bald head, I think he must have been well qualified. I remember him as a kindly man who over-ruled a Bradshaw decision and allowed me a day's absence to go on an outing with my former school. Bradshaw, in Dunne's absence refused point blank. Fortunately for me the secretary informed Dunne on his return, and I got my day out in Southport.

Thanks

Hello, Brian Okie here. I just joined today. I am one of the Walton Tech boys from Carisbrooke Road. I usually attend the Class Reunion once or twice a year held at the Adelphi Hotel. People who do remember me often quote the fact that I often brought my dad's accordion in and played it, also that my pal Chris S. and I usually performed last night's Goon Show (and did all the voices too!) I was caned many times for laughing in lessons. Chris S and I were noted for not taking part in sports and we preferred to talk about Western films and especially Lee Van Cleef!

Thanks

Brian Okie and C Smith did indeed treat us to the latest new craze Goon Show the day after broadcast.
    As stated before the 52-57 lads meet regularly. I would recommend other years to get together before it's too late, 4 of our lads have passed away since our first meeting in 2002.
    Incidentally, a 53-58 lad who made it good was Kevin Dooley, lawyer to many Liverpool FC stars. He died some years ago, with many of his famous clients mourning at his funeral.

ADVERTISING