Thread: The Hitlers of Liverpool

Blog Entries

Default The Hitlers of Liverpool

Upper Stanhope Street, 1930s Bridget and Patrick Hitler in America I know Liverpool tourism officials are always on the lookout for interesting news stories yet the extraordinary claim that Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech was written at the Adelphi Hotel is quite staggering. A guide to an event entitled “Liverpool Discovers”, contains [...]
    More...

Blog Entries

I read, through the course of today, that Hitler's brother's house was the last to be bombed by the Germans. Where's a crazy person to get his shrines these days?

During some genealogical research,I discovered that I had relatives living in Stanhope st,around that time! Strange to even comprehend, that they might have come across Adolph,at some point!!

I thought it was well documented that Hitler couldn't have been in Liverpool as official records show him being in Austria at that time.

http://www.btinternet.com/~m.royden/...nliverpool.htm

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

In November 1912, a dishevelled draft dodger arrived at Lime Street station. From then until April 1913, he idled his time away until, notified of his father’s death, he returned to Austria much to Bridget and Alois’s relief.

I stand to be corrected but didn't the father die in 1903?

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Years ago when Trivial Pursuit came out, I got the question...which British university did Adolph Hitler attend.....................I said he didn't go to any but as my friend Roddy said I of anyone should know the answer I said Liverpool....but I did not agree!!!. I have still never found anything to change my mind.
    I have read his Liverpool cousins changed their names. I also read they had themselves sterilized so no children would ever have the shame of being related. I since read the sterilization bit is not true.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Blog Entries

To answer the various points raised:

Re. Ged's point - there is no record of where Hitler was during that period. It is not 'well-documented' as suggested. Hitler was just an unknown citizen, a loner and drifter. Why would anyone keep tabs on him? If I asked where your great-grandfather was for six months in 1912, could you find any record? Nearly all aspects of Hitler's younger life were systematically destroyed as the Chancellor of Germany remodelled his image to suit him purposes.
    Re. Lizzie 1: his father did die in 1903 - but his will was finally resolved in 1913 and Hitler returned to collect his share. Sorry - it reads like he had just died - I'll correct that.
    Re. Ronijayne: What happened to William Patrick in America is a large part of the story of the book. Although he renounced the name Hitler (and talked against Nazism), he adopted the new name of a White Supremacist writer who had greatly influenced the Nazis. His own sons took a more robust line and pledged not to have children so that the Hitler name would die with them - although they were not sterilised. As for Hitler attending a British university - he couldn't speak English and was only here for six months.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Thanks Colin.. thats a very enlightening post.
    Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

I will try to find the site from where his name appears in a register whence he was 'allegedly' in Liverpool.

I don't suppose he was traceable just because they expected one day in the future to need to find out where he'd been but more like somebody has thoroughly investigated his whereabouts afterwards to try and see if he could have been in Liverpool and came across his true whereabouts simply like you might indeed find out a long ago relatives whereabouts if you knew where to look such as military or workplace records as I have done with my own past.

An interesting post.

---------- Post added at 12:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

This BBC link mentions him being destitute in Vienna at the time. A previous link i'd seen had his signature in a Viennese hostel's register.

This link here also mentions Upper Stanhope Street as being the last street to be bombed by the Luftwaffe which would be ironic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Yes, I put a lot of research into the university thing, it was before we all had computers too. Never found anything to suggest he went there. I did find he had Liverpool cousins Although I never saw anything else regarding the sterilization, all accounts I found say they had no children Oddly the trivial pursuit question is only in the English addition. Can't find it in mine which is the American one.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/myths_..._1_index.shtml

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

I stand to be corrected but didn't the father die in 1903?
    Yes,dunno where you have been reading what you posted vut...1913 was when hitler recieved the last part of his fathers legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/legacies/myths_..._1_index.shtml

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Yes,dunno where you have been reading what you posted vut...1913 was when hitler recieved the last part of his fathers legacy.
    It is on Colin's website.

Yes well maybe Colin will correct it?

Hitler was far from being a draft dodger,in fact hitler revelled in being part of Germanys army in WW1, he was a runner in the trenches.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

These paintings suggest Adolf was in Austria/Germany between the years of 1912/13 as they're dated by his own hand.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...%3Disch&itbs=1