Thread: Jesse Hartley (1780-1860)

Question Jesse Hartley (1780-1860)

Not a born and bred "scouser" i know,( a yorkshireman) but his buildings,such as the Albert dock,Canada dock,etc, are now synonomous with Liverpool's national, and international identity! He lived in liverpool for around 40 yrs,and died in Bootle in 1860,where he was buried in st. Mary's church. This was bombed, and destroyed, in 1941,leaving only the cemetery. I came across his(and his wife's)gravestones,which had been moved,and sited, rather ignominiously, under other stones.I would have thought that a better place for these memorials could be found, now that his worth as an engineer, and architect, for Liverpool is recognised. Here's a few pic's which i hope turn out!(I also hope this is the right heading

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Not a born and bred "scouser" i know,( a yorkshireman) but his buildings,such as the Albert dock,Canada dock,etc, are now synonomous with Liverpool's national, and international identity! He lived in liverpool for around 40 yrs,and died in Bootle in 1860,where he was buried in st. Mary's church. This was bombed, and destroyed, in 1941,leaving only the cemetery. I came across his(and his wife's)gravestones,which had been moved,and sited, rather ignominiously, under other stones.I would have thought that a better place for these memorials could be found, now that his worth as an engineer, and architect, for Liverpool is recognised. Here's a few pic's which i hope turn out!. (I also hope this is the right heading.)
    Hello Steve

Fascinating photographs, Steve, and very interesting that you located the graves of Jesse Hartley and his wife. You are correct that he wasn't born a Scouser but his contributions to the city were substantial enough and residence long enough to make him a Scouser. Thanks for starting this thread, Steve.

Portrait courtesy of Wikipedia

Wikipedia has an entry on Jesse Hartley which states in part:

Jesse Hartley was born in Pontefract, Yorkshire, England 21st December 1780, died Bootle, Liverpool 24th August 1860. He was ‘Civil Engineer and Superintendent of the Concerns of the Dock Estate’ in Liverpool, England between 1824 and 1860.

Despite having no experience of dock building, Hartley was the first full-time professional dock engineer in the world. He had previously worked for his father, Bernard Hartley who was a stonemason, architect and bridgemaster, John Carr and the Duke of Devonshire.

Initially he was appointed Deputy Dock Surveyor to John Foster Jr. However, due to John Foster Jr. resigning three days later, he was promoted to Acting Dock Surveyor. During his service, he not only built new docks, but also modernised all of the existing docks, with the exception of the Old Dock (opened in 1715) which had become disused and filled in. The docks at Liverpool grew from 46 to 212 acres (19 to 86 ha) during his tenure.

In 1831 he was appointed to convert the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal to a railway line. He persuaded the company to keep the canal open and build the railway more or less along its route.

Between 1841 and 1843 he prepared a number of different designs for fireproof construction of dockside warehouses. In 1843, he made models of warehouse arches at the Trentham Street Dockyard, to test sheet iron lined timber floored building method and brick and iron building materials. Through fire testing of these models, he eventually convinced the Dock Board Trustees of the benefits of his iron framed construction method. These experiments proved the worthiness of his fireproof design and he designed the Albert Dock to these specifications.

Hartley’s improvements over earlier dock and warehouse design included the use of locks to keep the water at a constant level, so that loading and unloading of ships’ cargoes was not reliant on the tide and the enclosure of the dock with high boundary walls, to reduce theft from the docks. He also adapted and improved the design of St Katherine’s Dock in London, by incorporating high arches in the buildings to accommodate cranes.

Docks built

Clarence Dock – opened 1830
    Brunswick Dock – opened 1832
    Waterloo Dock – opened 1834
    Victoria Dock – opened 1836
    Trafalgar Dock – opened 1836
    Canning Half-tide Dock - opened 1837
    Albert Dock – opened 1845 (Officially opened 1846 by the Prince Consort)
    Salisbury Dock – opened 1848
    Collingwood Dock – opened 1848
    Stanley Dock – opened 1848
    Nelson Dock – opened 1848
    Bramley-Moore Dock – opened 1848
    Wellington Dock - opened in 1851
    Wellington Half-tide Dock
    Sandon Dock – opened 1849
    Huskisson Dock – opened 1852
    Canada Dock – opened 1859

Notable buildings

Hartley utilised an eclectic mix of styles and methods of construction in the various buildings associated with the docks. These ranged from the cyclopean to ordinary brick built methods and styles as diverse as Greek revival and severe Gothic.

Albert Dock Warehouses
    Wapping Dock Warehouse
    Stanley Dock Warehouses
    Stanley and Wapping Docks’ Accumulator towers
    Canada Dock Accumulator tower (demolished)
    Wapping Policeman’s Lodge
    Salthouse Dock Transit shed (rebuilt granite gable end survives)
    Canning Half-tide Dock Watchmen’s Huts

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Stanley Dock Warehouses
    This man is a true hero! He had so much influence over the docks, and his creations live on to this day.

Although it should be pointed out that the Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse was not to his designs (and was built 40 years after his death), the rest of the dock was all his. A good example too, as the pumping station and dockside features all survive in varying conditions. I'd recommend next time anyone is down that way on a Sunday they go into the market just to look at the buildings!

Hi Snappel

Thanks for that information on Hartley and Stanley Dock. Hartley definitely stands out as a leader in making Liverpool great.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Hi,

I've only just joined this forum but I've been a member of Yo!Liverpool group on Flickr for some time. I'm afraid I missed the original posting of Jesse Hartley's grave photos. Is there somewhere I can go to view them? I've been taking an active interest (and a few photos!) of the docks which are on my Flickr site (search for TWastro) and would like some info. on the graves whereabouts.

Cheers

Tony

Fascinating photographs, Steve
    Where? as far as I see,wsteve55 didn't post a link to the photies at the time.

Famous and Interesting gravestones

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4737car...673190/detail/

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Where? as far as I see,wsteve55 didn't post a link to the photies at the time.
    That's 'cause I inadvertantly deleted my previous photo's,some time ago!! I shall dig them out,and repost.

Just managed to find these pic's,showing the gravestone,and the church,(St.Mary's,in Rimrose rd. Bootle)before it's destruction,by bombing,in WW2. The other memorial,commemorates the "improvements"carried out at the cemetery,in 1960.

P.S. Welcome to Yo,Tony!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ST MARY'S BOOTLE 1910.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	21058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010209.JPG 
Views:	480 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	21056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010210.JPG 
Views:	470 
Size:	281.6 KB 
ID:	21057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010205.JPG 
Views:	504 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	21055   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010203.JPG 
Views:	521 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	21054  

Last edited by wsteve55; 05-07-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: addition