Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Liverpool FC New Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    A stadium share will be a totally new arrangement with other interested parties (council, Tesco, etc). ..and probably a new location. Anfield/Walton are poor for transport infrastructure - a predominantly residential area that should not have a large stadium near it.

Kings Dock was a Council initiative. They approached EFC. It was to be a multi-purpose arena and two club's using it would have precluded other events. EFC were in no position to bring in LFC.

EFC could have afforded it - poor management. the cost went up to £50K plus, but still a bargain. Banks would throw money at you for that project.

It was a good thing as that stadium would have been totally out of place on that waterfront. The smaller arena is out of place and an eyesore right now. God knows what it would have been like. A blessing in disguise that the project fell through. Imagine all the litter in the docks and river!!!!
    I can't see both clubs going back now, they are too far down the line to rip everything up and start all over again, even if it is only stubborn pride that takes Liverpool in particular close to the abyss.

As for the Kings Dock and other events being precluded, that would have been well funny if Everton had to call a game off because of a Spice Girls concert

I think you're right Ste, that neither club will want to lose face in going back to a shared stadium scenario, though I never thought LFC were in favour of that at all anyway. However, putting silly prejudices aside, and possibly before the new arena was built, I always maintained personally that this was the sensible option. If both the old stadiums with all their past history are going to be razed to the ground anyway, I didn't see the problem. Man Utd have relaid their pitch twice already this season, teams used to play on it every week anyway when the reserves would play on the saturday when the A team was away from home. Milan do it, of course it is possible, it is only the factor of retaining seperate identities that would get in the way as far as the fans are concerned. Perhaps in an ideal world both clubs could have a world class stadium to call their own but I just don't understand why the yanks asked for 700M, what are they building, a new Wembley? It seems to me they were taking out a much larger, substantial loan on the back of LFC and on other sites already, fans are saying they have shifted some of their U.S. debts onto the club.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Perhaps in an ideal world both clubs could have a world class stadium to call their own but I just don't understand why the yanks asked for 700M, what are they building, a new Wembley? It seems to me they were taking out a much larger, substantial loan on the back of LFC and on other sites already, fans are saying they have shifted some of their U.S. debts onto the club.

Thats right Ged the personal cash that Hicks and Gillett put in they are now trying to add to the total debt the club are going into for the stadium, something they promised wouldnt happen back in February, and which I suspect would have stopped David Moores selling to them.

Government yes to Liverpool stadium plan
    Jan 8 2008 Nick Coligan Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL FC were today told the stadium plan they shelved last month could be built on Stanley Park.

Government minister Hazel Blears confirmed she would not “call in” the futuristic proposal approved by councillors last year for further investigation.

But her decision came three weeks after the club’s American owners ditched the scheme because costs had spiralled to more than £400m.

George Gillett and Tom Hicks ordered a redesign of the club’s original ground scheme after taking over at Anfield last year.

The second plan was approved by the council, but it had to be rubber-stamped by the government before work could start.

Liverpool’s latest ground proposals - the third to be drawn up in four years - are being presented to Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry and club owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks in New York tonight. JAN 8

In a letter to the council, Ms Blears said the second plan, which included the Anfield Plaza development on the current stadium site, did not meet the criteria for a call-in.

She said: “Local planning authorities are normally best placed to make decisions relating to their areas.

“It is right that in general, they should be free to carry out their duties responsibly, with the minimum of interference.”

With over 400 days having passed since Tom Hicks promised to have the first spade in the ground within 60 days when he took control, the Spirit of Shankly decided to lend a hand last night and started digging themselves.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/...boardroom.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/juanito...7604659130338/

HANDBRAKE!!!!!! (AGAIN)

If an additional 25,000 seats could be built at Anfield (without disrupting the football season) at less cost/debt, would anyone prefer to have a NEW stadium?

I think its in everyones best interest for Gillett and Hicks to sell the club to DIC. DIC have far more money and drive than them two. If DIC bought the club, construction on the stadium would probably start immediately.

These two clowns really sold Liverpool down the river:

Rick Parry David Moores

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112