Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool FC New Ground

Will be a sad sad sad day the day we leave, wonder if they'll let us in with screwdrivers to remove our seats

New stadium looks stunning, mind the internal pics are definately rush jobs.

I disagree with giving away public park-land to any private business. If L.F.C. can't make it's way in this economic world then it deserves to go bust, the same as any other business. It's the thin end of the wedge as more and more park-land is given away. Any other private organisation will expect the same consideration. It does prove one thing, though ...don't expect Liverpool Council to be the custodians of anything that was donated for the benefit of the people.

Spot on.

Why couldn't they build it in 'Kirkby'???

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    LIVERPOOL FC wants to raise £100m in a deal that will see a corporate sponsor awarded naming rights to its new stadium, it emerged last night. Read

A NEW train station needed to allow Liverpool FC to have an expanded 76,000-seater stadium can be ready by the time the ground opens in 2010. Read

In 5 - 10 years every stadium in the Premier League will have corporate names like in the USA. Personally i've got no problem with it.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL FC’s new Anfield stadium will have a “skywalk” at the top of the Kop offering views across the city to Wales, the Daily Post can reveal. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I disagree with giving away public park-land to any private business... ...It does prove one thing, though ...don't expect Liverpool Council to be the custodians of anything that was donated for the benefit of the people.
    The 'park' at this point was a run-down sports centre, a sea of broken tarmac and some scruffy grass and has been from many, many years.

Council sold a lease to LFC at a nominal rent (how much would you have paid for a couple of acres of tarmac?) and will reap the reward of regeneration of swathes of Anfield from funds generated by the development.

Good management of assets and a good deal I think and one the council should be congratulated on.

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I disagree with giving away public park-land to any private business. If L.F.C. can't make it's way in this economic world then it deserves to go bust, the same as any other business. It's the thin end of the wedge as more and more park-land is given away. Any other private organisation will expect the same consideration. It does prove one thing, though ...don't expect Liverpool Council to be the custodians of anything that was donated for the benefit of the people.

this is mostly a car park and the park has been run down for years, this will give a well needed lift to the whole area, you must be a blue nose.
    Last edited by Kev; 08-10-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the pool08 View Post
    this is mostly a car park and the park has been run down for years, this will give a well needed lift to the whole area, you must be a blue nose.
    I am a former Anfield Road season ticket holder and I don't agree with them building the new ground in the park.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

I'm a Kemlyn Road side standy type seasie holder and if it wasn't for LFC and the new ground then Anfield would never have any chance to make any kind of recovery.

So some peoples' argument seems to be, that if any land in the custody of the Council becomes run-down, then it should be given away to a private company. I know this is the Councils' policy, but they aren't honest enough to admit it.
    I thought the Council had a duty to protect green-spaces...but I guess that's just another duty they neglect.

The area has been maintained by the city with precious little funds from the likes of us.

There has been a car park on this site for at least 30years used only on match days. Others days you might see one man and his dog and hypodermic using the space.

Council have not given it away but have leased it LFC and have got substantial funds for regeneration of the area. There will be new homes and reviatilised areas (currently a gangland of yobs and arsonists). The vernon sangster centre will have a new home in the stadium. The park as a whole will be refurbished and maintained.

Hundreds of thousands will enjoy the new stadium and millions will be generated in rates. A great stadium and a great image of the city will be beamed around the world.

But, no; you prefer to have a few acres of scrubland so that you can have something to moan about.

The parks of Liverpool are not a land-bank for private development (or schools or hospitals) but belong to the people of Liverpool and future generations.
    Other considerations come second to that important point.
    As I remember it, L.F.C. intended to expand by purchasing local houses...until they suddenly noticed a "run down park" over the road.

A park that we are mainly building on the car park section as well as sorting out a new Vernon Sangster sports facility. A park thet LFC are paying a rent every year to the council, a park that LFC will ensure is kept up to scratch. A park that has been left to rot and decay for years without either the locals or the council that arsed about it.

Hundreds of millions of pounds will now be kept in the local economy.

If LFC had moved to say speke, then the whole of that part of North Liverpool would decay even further as it would take many many years to get any half arsed investment to do anything in the area.

The fact that the train line will now more than likely reopen to passenger traffic to give more transport options also will help.

Maybe we should ask Knowsley council if they have any space for us as well?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast