Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool FC New Ground

Angry

Yet another delay! We have gone from the stadium not happening, to it actually being built, to it being stopped again. The people that are losing out yet again are local residents. This delay in building the stadium has also delayed any regeneration that can take place in the surrounding area.
    Warren Bradley confuses me. When the takeover was announced he said that the council where pleased and where eager to get started on regeneration works in Anfield. Then yesterday he throws in this proposal which will innevitably delay regeneration and the stadium further.
    I personally think that the fans have made there stance on this issue very clear, we don't want a ground share. I think that Everton fans are starting to warm to the idea of moving to kirkby as it is still the Liverpool City Region and is seen as Liverpool by many peolple. I just hope that the new owners throw out this idea and press ahead with the new stadium.

If Everton move out of Liverpool, then I can just imagine the taunts from Liverpool fans that Everton have deserted the city. Kirkby and anywhere else that doesn't pay Council Tax to Liverpool City Council, are clearly not in Liverpool. The funniest place I could think for them to move to would be 'Anfield' after Liverpool move out.
    Last edited by marky; 03-29-2007 at 01:38 PM.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    The funniest place I could think for them to move to would be 'Anfield' after Liverpool move out.

No chance!!!

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Just how many times do the Blues need to be told to get the message -LIVERPOOL ARENT INTERESTED IN A GROUND SHARE.

It was a councillor speaking not the Everton fans, dont care if he is an Evertonian. he dont speak for us.

Just how many times do the Reds need to be told to get the message- WE DONT WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU LOT.

Exactly Tony. I thought the message you replied to was a bit conceited. Us Blues don't need to be told anything. At the end of the day it's up to Hicks and Gillette, they'll do what any developer does, think of their own pockets.

For me, Kirkby, which is approximately 2 miles from Goodison is nearer than many other places in 'Liverpool' that could be touted. It's full of ex Scottie roaders, try telling them they're not in Liverpool just because admin boundary changes occurred in 1974 and they pay their taxes to Knowsley now.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

There is a feature in today's Echo about it. Both sides have played down the suggestion and Liverpool seem pretty sure they don't want it.

I'm glad to hear it,we have two big teams that deserve two great stadiums.

TerryB

Think Bradley is out of order myself. He's clearly abusing his position to try and influence the Americans. He knew what impact the piece in the Echo would have and is desperatly trying to keep the option open.

Rick Parry has told him on more than one occasion that we will never share with Everton "over our dead bodies" in fact.

Sorry Ged, Kirkby is at least 4 miles from Goodison. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I think the Blues should jump at the chance of their own stadium with better facilities. The traditions of the game have long gone anyway.

Gnomie

Quote Originally Posted by TerryB View Post
    Think Bradley is out of order myself. He's clearly abusing his position to try and influence the Americans. He knew what impact the piece in the Echo would have and is desperatly trying to keep the option open.

I agree and im a Blue.

I think he should pack it in and start shouting for the council to get behind Everton`s new ground the way they supported Liverpool`s. lets do up Goodison and stay put.

TerryB

To be fair, they did give you a lot of support with the Kings Dock stadium. Not sure what went wrong there.

There's only so much they can do for you without any real funding or a business plan for a stadium in the city. Tesco have obviously targeted that specific site in Kirkby, and without any real investment to build on a site offered by Bradley, that's about your only option.

Yes, measured it in my A-Z, it's 3 miles up Wally Hall Avenue to Gillmoss ind Est and a further half a mile to the M57 Kirkby. As the crow flies though to the new site 3.8 miles. Imagine for arguments sake they bought Aigburth cricket ground they'd be moving over twice as far but that would be alright because it'd be in ''liverpool'' wouldn't it.

I think the road and rail links to Kirkby would be great, far better than what both sets of fans have to put up with currently. I see cars parked as far away as Lambeth Road and Fountains Road for Liverpool games and in Bootle and by the old Mons at Everton games.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

I wonder if Bradley is making a veiled threat that if Liverpool want council planners to consider an increase in capacity then they'll have to be willing to share. I'm sure the people living in the area will be made up with that - 80,000 every week instead of 60,000 every fortnight.

TerryB

Don't think he's any position to make veiled threats, or he could end up having no football clubs in the city at all. I doubt the Americans will be as easy going as Davy Moores and Rick Parry.

It angers me to be honest. If this was any other city in the world the stadium would have been built now, especially for one of its prized assets. The Red tape we've had to go to to get to this stage has been unreal, and it's still going on.
    Last edited by TerryB; 03-29-2007 at 11:11 PM.

Gillett wants 'expandable' new stadium
    Apr 1 2007

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett wants room to expand when the Reds go ahead with their plans to build a new stadium.

Former chairman David Moores and the board had gained planning permission to build a new stadium in nearby Stanley Park, but Gillett and fellow co-owner Tom Hicks are looking at ways the stadium can be improved within the accepted proposal - most crucially that there is an option to increase capacity should they want to in the future.

Gillett said: "To be competitive we must be patient because any decision we make today will have to last for 50 or more years. And so with this in mind we want to be very cautious. What I am asking for is that everyone shows patience and gives us a little time. We have to be very mindful and respectful of the planning process."

He added: "There is a plan in place for which approval has already been granted and we have to operate to the extent we can within that process and approval. Decisions about modifications will be taken very carefully. What we want to do is build a stadium that will comply with the seating capacity approval but be expandable. As the fans demand more seats we want to be able to give them to them."

The original proposal was for a 60,000-seater stadium, but Gillett clearly has in mind a desire to eventually have a ground rivalling Old Trafford in size.

Story continues...

It makes sense to ensure that whatever they build doesnt have a finite capacity considering it'll still only be 75% the size of Old Trafford.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast