Thread: London Road at Fraser Street - 1966

Default London Road at Fraser Street - 1966

So much to see here for those familiar with it.

John Collier - John Collier - the window to watch. There were quite a few tailors and clothes shops on the once bustling London Road.

Sampson & Barlow's Peppermint Lounge is on the opposite corner and had an upstairs function room, the club part of it having been called Gullivers and Trophies at various times in its lift-time. The window cleaners cart, Anglia Estate and Austin Cambridge add to the flavour, oh and those old overhanging road signs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Liverpool Photographer Gerard Fleming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    So much to see here for those familiar with it.

John Collier - John Collier - the window to watch. There were quite a few tailors and clothes shops on the once bustling London Road.

Sampson & Barlow's Peppermint Lounge is on the opposite corner and had an upstairs function room, the club part of it having been called Gullivers and Trophies at various times in its lift-time. The window cleaners cart, Anglia Estate and Austin Cambridge add to the flavour, oh and those old overhanging road signs.

My sister had her wedding reception upstairs in Sampson & Barlow... got a few pics somewhere, I remember the day well.. it was in the same room apparently that was The Peppermint Lounge...The Beatles played there when it was The Cassanova Club....
    on 11th,14th,16th,21st & 28th Feb & 7th & 12th March 1961 by all accounts..

Trophies night club and pool hall was owned by my good mate and fellow Merseyside county pool team player Les Oulton...
    I got free practise when I was captain of the Merseyside pool team...Les also played for my pool team in The Pontack outside Gerard Gardens.....the nightclub part was great, the opening night was a fantastic night...I literally played pool all day in there and then made myself at home in the night club later.... courtesy of my mate Les of course..

The place on the left next door to the club in the photo later became the Yan-Yan...
    the place to go for a chinese meal after a night on the town..
    a regular haunt full of the same faces every week....all the lads and gals from Gerard Gardens
    and the 4 squares on Soho St... happy days with great memories of them places....

Thanks for showing the pic Ged..

Liverpool Days... << my website of Liverpool images

Great memories Gerard.

Blog Entries

I remember getting my made to measure suit in Burtons, just down below on the same side !

Montague Burtons shop where demobbed soldiers were issued with the 'full monty suit' which is where the saying come from (as oppossed to stripping it all of as in the film)

Seen here in 1949 (LRO)

If my memory serves me right, was'nt there a Burtons on the corner of Norton Street and London Rd as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Samp View Post
    If my memory serves me right, was'nt there a Burtons on the corner of Norton Street and London Rd as well?

That was Colliers. And a few doors away was L&C Weatherwear, which was vacated in about 1974 when it moved to St Johns Precinct. I remember this as my mum was the manager there. I worked not far away in St Anne Street. There was also an opticians called Walsby next to Colliers. I think Burtons took over Colliers in the mid-70s so you're not far off the mark!

I remember sometime in the mid 70s there was a refurb at Sampson and Barlow. To save closing the restaurant, all of the material from the rip out of the function suites was dumped on the top floor which was then sealed off. Because of the weight, the ceiling below had to be supported with acro props which were boxed in to look like ornamental pillars. It looked a right cowboy job and fire hazzard.
    I haven't been that way in a long while, is it still standing?

There will always be people who take things the wrong way.
    Click HERE to hear a clicky sound.