Thread: Family Tree and search for relatives.

Default Family Tree and search for relatives.

Hello all,
    Several years ago I started tracing my family history. Unfortunately just after I started my dad passed away so it became a struggle, plus I live and work in germany and dont get back to the UK very often. So here are a few details which hopefully will help me find more relatives around Liverpool.
    My Dad, Patrick Thomas Quinn born. 22 March 1932 at Alder Hey Hospital and lived at 89 Becket Street, Liverpool.
    Grandad and Grandma, Martin Quinn ( Merchant Seaman) born. 23 October 1908 at 29 St Silvester Place, Liverpool - Mary Quinn nee Reigh, born 20 October 1906 at 58 Orwell Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool.
    My Dad also had a brother, Martin and a sister, Maureen. Martin emigrated to New Zealand and Maureen married John Myers then emigrated to Canada.
    My Grandma, Mary, passed away about the time that aunty Maureen was born. Martin remarried in or about 1940 to Joshephine Elsie Bristow, they had, I believe 2 maybe 3 children named Raymond and Sylvia ( Irene, who married a George Quilliam in 1958 )
    I think that is enough for now. I have, of course, hit a few brick walls and hopefully can find out more through this site.
    I have noticed on another post, when looking for details of my Grandad, that a member of this site, Arque, mentions they are related to Martin Quinn. I have sent a message to them but have noticed they have not been active on here for a few months.

I would like to thank all in advance for any assistance in my search.
    Best wishes
    Tony

Blog Entries

It may help to say something about your father for there are a few of his contemporaries that are members here. Good luck.

As advised I will put a few more details about my Dad.
    As stated above he was born in 1932, his parents were Martin and Mary Quinn. I believe after the death of Mary, his Mum, he and his siblings were placed in a home, I think this was from just before the outbreak of the war till after. my Dad would not talk about this so it was difficult to get any info from him. My Mum thinks that the home was near the Aintree race course but not 100% sure and was run by Nuns. I can not say how long he was there but I think it was till after the war. During National Service he served with the ACC and was stationed in Aldershot and Chilwell in Nottingham, this is where he met my Mum. After he was demobbed in approx 1951/52 he returned to Liverpool where he worked for a while for a large Bakery. In 1953 he returned to Nottingham where he married my Mum, Grace nee Davies. Mum did tell me that before this she had been to Liverpool with dad and met Martin on several occasions, however, on the last time my dad and Grandad had a falling out after which he left and never returned to Liverpool for many years, sadly, after a short illness my Dad passed away in 2004
    I dont really know what to put so I will leave it at that
    Tony

Blog Entries

Thanks for that Tony, you never know it may ring a few bells. Given your father's attitude to the home he was in you may find something following this link that could provide insight into his thinking...

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...=nazareth+home

Not sure it's of any help but as your granddad was a Merchant Seaman, have you tried Royal Liverpool Seaman's Orphanage which was in Newsham park.

http://www.rlsoi-uk.org/RLSOI/Contact.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/conte..._feature.shtml

Blog Entries

Hello Tony. I hope this message finds you fit and well. I, too reside and work in Germany and I know that being so far away from Blighty, can have its disadvantages, especially where family research and the like is concerned. I've been doing research on my family now for the last 5 years and I, too have hit some brick walls. The main thing is (and I'm sure you know that yourself) to keep plugging away. In this instance, I suggest the following (if you're not already doing)... (1) Use the FreeBMD Home Page and have a play around 'til you're familiar with its working. (2) Search the web for other forums in the areas where your family resided as I (and many other people) have. I don't know how, but there are individuals in these forums who have access to information and has therefore helped me enormously and I've therefore been extremely grateful. (3) Refer to local newspapers, either online or get family to post copies out to you perhaps? I discovered my half-brother whom I'd never met beforehand by putting an online message (board) into the Manchester Evening News (his cousin who lives in London read it and answered and the rest is history). (4) Consider joining genesreunitied.co.uk. If my memory serves me right, there's a 3-day trial so you can look around the website. To be a member is not cheap, but that all depends on what you want to get out of it. But it can pay off if you dig deep enough. I've been a member now for since May and I've already discovered family going back to 1755; not to mention finding and exchanging information with other members who've built family trees, which include members of my own distance family. Again, it all depends what you're looking for and how far you want to go into the past. (5) I've purchased copies of certificates in the past, which has provided further clues about distant family and has therefore lead me down other avenues, which is also a Brucie-bonus. I would advise on one though, and that's to document your findings (i.e. making up a folder and putting all your notes in order so everything's crystal clear). This is something, which can be passed on to the kids or other family members so they have all the references they need to perhaps continue where you left off - that sort of thing. Anyway, I won't waffle on anymore as the above points should suffice for the time being. Let me (us all) know how you're progressing. There are members also in this forum who've certainly got their finger on the pulse, who'll lend a hand, too I sure. Take care and keep in touch. As they say in Germany "Mach's gut und schönes Wochenende"! Gary

Hi gary,
    Thanks for the reply. I will certainly try some of the tips you have given. I have been reseaching for a couple of years but took a year off so I could get rid of my headache...... Its certainly hard going, especially when not living in UK. Thanks again mate and take care

Tony