When I visited my gran in Vulcan St, there would be a man with a cart shouting out "rags, bottles and ?????" can't remember what the last word was. Everyone would run out with old coats and bottles and he would give us a few pennies in return. This would be in the 1930's to 1940's.
Loved the street singers who would come around, usually had an accordian and would sing at the top of their voices. Some of them could really belt out a song. Back then I remember how everyone looked out for each other. Those where the war years and we sure as hell did not have much, as kids, we where seen but not heard, we always showed respect to our elders. We all seemed so happy and stress free. Going to Garston Park or over the Iron Bridge was always an adventure. Loved to play on the landfill (tips) that used to be off Horrocks Ave. Sliding down the hills of rubbish I was as happy as a lark, that would be until I got home and my mam would see how filthy I was.
Do the street singers still come around? Do neighbour's look out for each other like they used to in the old days?