Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Funnel Line.

Default Blue Funnel Line.

Does anyone have any information on this at what date did it start to operate and where exactly did the Seamen come from was it always China or not.. Very interested to know..

Caterina..

Caterina :-
    Try this link. It may have your answer >>>>>>

http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/blue_funne...unnel_home.htm
    Good luck with what you are looking for.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

" If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Default Re Blue Funnel Line

Pfredd and John thanks for your kind replies will try what you have suggested.

Thanks Caterina..

chippie

Default BLUE FUNNEL LINE

Caterina, why are you interested in the Blue Funnel Line. You amaze me sometime.

My dad and all his brothers served in the BFL at one time or another, and maybehis dad and uncles, I don,t know. Not too sure when it was set up. I do have a poster in my den in honour of my dad and his adventures on the high seas.

There is a book in the records dept. at Central Library on the BFL if you were interested to go and have a browse round for an hour or two.

By the way Caterina, where do you live, in what area?

Default Re Blue F lIne.

Hiyah Chippie only just seen your message well lovei live on the East Coast of Yorkshire butall on my mums side come from Liverpool generations you know i have just found my family well the bfl thing is connected with that my late step father Yue Leung. Trying to find anything out formy sisters thought it would be nice. You and i are on the same wavelength we have a connection but you know this already..

Caterina..

chippie

Default photos and files equal family tree

Hi CATERINA, with the information that I,ve given already, you can see that the bfl was not run by the Chinese. Mind you my uncles all came home looking like they lived in the Mediterranean. So bronzed and healthy looking. I,m still collecting data and photos from my unks at the present time. My last visit to them netted me with forty photographs that I am copying for my files on my Immediate family. I,s giving my files all to the Central Library,s record office so as anyone can view them....after my death. I hope some future nephew or grand neice will add to it in the years to come. I,ve just found a mouse bitten photo of my gt grandma,s second marriage (i think) and she was 66 at the time and still begging for it. Excuse me. and still going strong.

Default Re Blue Funnel.

Hello Chippie thanks for your reply sorry a bout the mouse would you like me to send one of my three cats over...

Caterina..

chippie

No thanks Caterina, the dog might eat it

Default Re Blue funnel.

Chippie Hi there what sort of a dog have you ? i have a lovely Jack Russell what a guard dog...............................
    Also have three cats only the 17yr old is the mouser..
    Do you live in Liverpool my rellies live in Halewood and Croxteth.

Caterina..

chippie

Hi Caterina, no I don,t have a dog yet, but if I had it would be a little Jack Russel. I was having a laugh about the dog and your cat before. And no I live in Nantwich near Crewe. Been here seven years, retired like.

Default Re Blue Funnel.

Hello again Chippie oh i thought you lived in Liverpool .My son and i are so looking foward to coming to Liverpool next year. Untill 1 yr ago i did not realise what a big family i come from on my Mums side alsoto find i have 6 siblings too and i am getting to know them it is something money cannot buy i feel so lucky. My little dog is called rowan[ means delight to the eye and she is so pretty she is tri colored my shadow.

Bye Caterina

chippie

Default liverpool is the gear

Caterina, you will love Liverpool. I was there recently and sat in Williamson Square and some old timer chatted to me for ages about this and that. I felt so humble when I got up to go for my bus, he said it was nice to talk to you mate. terra. Thought it was Ged off this forum for a minute ha ha.

But I hope you and your son really enjoy yourself catching up with your folks and all.

Default Re Blue Funnel

Chippie yes when my dau and i came for a day trip over 4yrs ago i was taken by Liverpool the beautiful buildings they were fantastic and of course cos all my maternal side were born and bred there.I think next year will fantastic for everyone and for Liverpool to be real proud..

Caterina [ Honary Scouser]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by caterina View Post
    Chippie yes when my dau and i came for a day trip over 4yrs ago i was taken by Liverpool the beautiful buildings they were fantastic and of course cos all my maternal side were born and bred there.I think next year will fantastic for everyone and for Liverpool to be real proud..

Caterina [ Honary Scouser]
    Blue Funnel were known as the China Boats. They did the Far East, so trips were very long. They were also know as the Welsh Navy, as many of the crew were Welsh. BF had a training centre in Wales. My cousins were on the China Boats and said the Welsh were useless - some could not speak English. He said they were highly clanish keeping themselves to themselves. They tended to have a few good sailors who held the rest up. There was an incident when one of them left the sea cocks open and a ship bottomed in Gladstone Dock.

BF ships would unload at Birkenhead and move over the river to Liverpool, mainly the Gladstone Dock, and load up. Occasionally some would berth at Bromborough Pool (now filled in), if berths were not available in Birkenhead or Liverpool - yes, when berths were not available the port was so busy.

The ships were very elegant and good looking, with gently sweeping wastelines. The stock standard wide funnel was used, even in the 1920s making them advanced looking vessels, setting the trend for others.

Alfred Holt, the founder, a steam engine engineer trained at Edge Hill Goods Yard, improved the steam engine, implemented them on his ships, of which he had a big hand in the design, making it feasible to take steam ships to India. Before that they could only go to the Med at most, and sail only for long haul. Then they broke the cartel of the London based East India company, who were the only line allowed to ship to India, and pushed them to one side and virtually out. There was the Holt Line and the Blue Funnel Line.

The blue funnel came about as that was the only paint they had when painting the funnel of the first ship they bought.

BF still exists being taken over by a French company. Containers ships killed them, although BF did go into container ships. The problem was that it took a huge amount of money to buy and operate container ships and one company could not do it alone, so mergers were inevitable.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast