Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Museum question!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Old Museum question!

Hiya kids,

Sorry didn't know where else to post this question.

In the old museum, inside the entrance there used to be a massive long banner/poster of the Liverpool waterfront from centuries ago ( least i think it was centuries ) on the wall.

Question is - Anyone know where that went? I'd love to see it again.

I Used to love that and the old street on the left, the battleground scene with the periscope and sandbags....and the trains in the basement.

Anyone else miss anything that's gone now?

Peace and Happiness.....Gaz

Hiya Wato. With living just behind the Museum in the tenements, me and my mates were never out of the Museum and Art Gallery, especially sniffing around after girls. But you got to know all the exhibits and paintings respectively off by heart.

I remember the old cobbled street where you'd press the button and hear kids doing rhymes and talking/laughing. The trains in the transport section in the basement with the dummies at the windows of the carriages, the old fire engine, John Mason removal wagon, the lion loco, the green Ford Anglia that ended up at the MoLL etc.

From the basement, you would walk along the corridor that was the aquarium, dark and lined both sides with glass cases of all kinds of sea life, crabs, colourful fish, mini sharks, catfish, starfish - I don't think the modern day one compares at all.

The far end of that corridor contained the lizards, tarantulas, stick insects and snakes. Up to the mid 1970s, upstairs was a big glass case with a section of pinewoods, beach and the railway line in the freshfield area and you could press buttons and a light would come on in the model explaining what it was. Great memories.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hiya Wato. With living just behind the Museum in the tenements, me and my mates were never out of the Museum and Art Gallery, especially sniffing around after girls. But you got to know all the exhibits and paintings respectively off by heart.

I remember the old cobbled street where you'd press the button and hear kids doing rhymes and talking/laughing. The trains in the transport section in the basement with the dummies at the windows of the carriages, the old fire engine, John Mason removal wagon, the lion loco, the green Ford Anglia that ended up at the MoLL etc.

From the basement, you would walk along the corridor that was the aquarium, dark and lined both sides with glass cases of all kinds of sea life, crabs, colourful fish, mini sharks, catfish, starfish - I don't think the modern day one compares at all.

The far end of that corridor contained the lizards, tarantulas, stick insects and snakes. Up to the mid 1970s, upstairs was a big glass case with a section of pinewoods, beach and the railway line in the freshfield area and you could press buttons and a light would come on in the model explaining what it was. Great memories.

Nice one Ged..The big ship sailed down the ally ally o was one of them rhymes..
    D'yer remember the Lime green Ford Anglia in the Basement by the Trains,the 1st car of the production line,its coming back the museum.
    Great memories indeed Lad

Gnomie

I loved the shrunken heads and the mummies hand with the gold ring.

ring o`roses i think was one of the tunes in the cobbled street.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    I loved the shrunken heads and the mummies hand with the gold ring.

ring o`roses i think was one of the tunes in the cobbled street.
    I think your right Tony me boy.,
    Remember walking through the little bit that was about 20 yards long with a soldier in a lying down position and a 1st world war uniform on in a mock battlefield..
    The section was all about the 1st world war if I remember correctly.
    He had a big tommy gun with about 50 bullets coming out of one side on a long thingy..
    That frikened me the spooky mood in there..I wouldnt go in on me own mate..

There were also soldiers uniforms, dressed on manequins with just a mesh face, bright red tunics, then the savannah plains reconstruction with animals on them. The space room on the 3rd floor with the Planetarium, everything looked dead bright when you came out of there. That anthill in a glass case that looked like a wotsit, you know what I mean.

That anthill in a glass case that looked like a wotsit, you know what I mean.
    Thanks Ged, thought it was just me who thought that.
    Help find Madeleine

Gerard

There were also soldiers uniforms, dressed on manequins with just a mesh face, bright red tunics, then the savannah plains reconstruction with animals on them. The space room on the 3rd floor with the Planetarium, everything looked dead bright when you came out of there. That anthill in a glass case that looked like a wotsit, you know what I mean.

Arrrrrrrr thats right Ged..Thats why I was frikened..
    Them Red tunics like out of Zulu but no Michael Caine Gob..
    No Gob as yer mention in fact..just that spooky mesh thing under the white helmet..
    Nightmare Stuff from Sapphire and Steel
    Frighten the life out of any 23 year old.

Lol

Yeah, I miss all that....That's what I mean by the soldiers with the periscope and sandbags and all the medals etc....It seem's to be what people remember the most....Brilliant days. I just remember walking in and seeing that big fountain with all the money in and the model ships on the ground floor....then seeing this big massive long poster of our waterfront from oldy worldy times. fascinated me that.

Yeah mate we'd try chat the girls up too...but they always wanted to go the top floor to the cafe and make us buy them drinks on tick of a snog So if it wasn't looking promising on the way up...we'd lose em in the space rocket section

I'd love to get a print of that waterfront though...ahh well.

Raise your glasses for a 10p cuppa tea and a snog on the steps outside!!

Last edited by Wato; 07-04-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Wato View Post
    Yeah, I miss all that....That's what I mean by the soldiers with the periscope and sandbags and all the medals etc....It seem's to be what people remember the most....Brilliant days. I just remember walking in and seeing that big fountain with all the money in and the model ships on the ground floor....then seeing this big massive long poster of our waterfront from oldy worldy times. fascinated me that.

Yeah mate we'd try chat the girls up too...but they always wanted to go the top floor to the cafe and make us buy them drinks on tick of a snog So if it wasn't looking promising on the way up...we'd lose em in the space rocket section

I'd love to get a print of that waterfront though...ahh well.

Raise your glasses for a 10p cuppa tea and a snog on the steps outside!!

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the fountain with money in.Its all coming back now..
    Happy days eh Gaz

Hi All

We used to be involved with the Large Objects Store, don't know whether any of you visited it was a fantastic place.

A lot of stuff is now held in the Museum Store in Juniper Street Bankhall.

Was thinking i could possibly arrange a forum visit round the store with Sharon the Curator if anyone interested.

Regards

Rob

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Yes please, that sounds like a good idea.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

chippie

Default LARGE objects museum

I went round the large objects museum years back and loved that heavy stuff. I found it more entertaining than anything else in the museums. Do remember the fountain with the money in it, we,ve got one here but we call it the toilet.

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by MerseysideTransportTrust View Post
    Was thinking i could possibly arrange a forum visit round the store with Sharon the Curator if anyone interested.
    Count me in. I saw it on a program last week with some fella that has long hair, wore a leather'ette coat, waistcoat and stacky boots. Bloody awful dress sense, but a great programme. He went to a 'secret location' (you've blown its cover now ) where, basically, all the transport exhibits from basement of the museum were stored.
    Last edited by MarkA; 07-05-2007 at 03:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast