Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Wonderful photo, Dave.

Kev, the Anglican Cathedral itself says: "The Cathedral is the largest Cathedral in and is the second largest Anglican cathedral in the world. It occupies a total area of 9600 square metres."

See http://www.liverpoolcathedral.org.uk...ForPupils.aspx

That's a bit mixed up but I think they must mean "The Cathedral is the largest Cathedral in the United Kingdom and is the second largest Anglican cathedral in the world. It occupies a total area of 9600 square metres."

-- You might phone 'em up to make sure that statement is correct.
    I'm confused
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Slightly OT, but I love seeing peoples' reactions when they first enter the cathedral. I took my sis in law and hubby there in 2005. Hubby's jaw dropped and my sis had an asthma attack, I kid you not. It looks big on the outside, but nothing can prepare you for when you first enter.

Magnifico..

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I'm confused
    You're not the only one.
    I've just done a Google, and St Peter's in Rome is a church, not a cathedral.
    Whatever, I think it might still be the biggest religious building in the world.

St John's in New York City is said to be the largest cathedral in the world, but it isn't finished.
    It's Episcopal, which is the Church of England in America (ie Anglican).

PhilipG

Taffy.
    I should have said the Church of England as we know it today was created by Henry VIII, who broke from the influence of Rome in order to marry one of his wives.
    Subsequent British Monarchs have always been the Head of The Church of England.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    Slightly OT, but I love seeing peoples' reactions when they first enter the cathedral. I took my sis in law and hubby there in 2005. Hubby's jaw dropped and my sis had an asthma attack, I kid you not. It looks big on the outside, but nothing can prepare you for when you first enter.

Beautiful photo Dave; but I don't think photos will ever do the interior of this Cathedral justice, they would ever get the enormity of it! Nothing against your photo BTW!

In work, I sit facing it all day, though there was a much better view before the Q Park got in the way. We used to have an unwritten rule where if the cathedral's obscured by fog, we don't have to do any work. If the rule still stood then 'd have done very little this week!

As I understood it, Washington Cathedral is the largest Anglican cathedral in the world. It plus 3 other catholic cathedrals are bigger than ours (St.Peters in Rome, Milan and Seville Cathedrals)
    Willing to stand corrected though!
    Julie

From Wikipedia, so probably a load of toss:

The cathedral is at the intersection of Massachusetts and Wisconsin Avenues in the Northwest quadrant of Washington. It is the sixth-largest cathedral in the world and second-largest in the United States (the largest being St. John's Cathedral in New York).[1] It is, however, not the tallest or longest church in Washington; that distinction belongs to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, the national patronal Roman Catholic church on the northeast side of the city that is also the largest church in the Western Hemisphere.
    The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is a prominent basilica of the Roman Catholic Church located in Washington, D.C., honoring the Blessed Virgin Mary as Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, the Patroness of the United States.

It is the largest church in the Western Hemisphere and seventh-largest religious structure in the world [1]. Millions of pilgrims from around the country and the world visit the basilica each year. The basilica is located on Michigan Avenue in the northeast quadrant of Washington on land donated by The Catholic University of America. Nearby is the Pope John Paul II Cultural Center.

The church began to be built in 1920 and was completed under Philadelphia contractor John McShain and opened in 1959. It is designated as a National Historic Landmark on the National Register of Historic Places.
    Who was the greatest of them all?
    Little, Curly, Alan Ball.
    R.I.P. Bally.

Lightbulb

As I understand, the Anglican cathedral is the tallest and largest anglican cathedral in the world and the second tallest/largest cathedral of any type in the world.
    It also has the highest peel of bells and the largest church bell in the world.
    It's certainly the UK's biggest cathedral.

PhilipG

It's rather confusing the issue to add tallest to the criteria, and it's been accepted that it isn't the largest cathedral in the world.
    Read through this thread (if you haven't already).

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    As I understand, the Anglican cathedral is the tallest and largest anglican cathedral in the world and the second tallest/largest cathedral of any type in the world.
    It also has the highest peel of bells and the largest church bell in the world.
    It's certainly the UK's biggest cathedral.
    It doesn't have the largest church bell in the world. It does have the 2nd largest church bell in the UK, with St Paul's 'Great Paul' weighing in at 334-2-19 cwt (16 ton in new money).

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    It doesn't have the largest church bell in the world. It does have the 2nd largest church bell in the UK, with St Paul's 'Great Paul' weighing in at 334-2-19 cwt (16 ton in new money).
    Largest church bell by radius. Anyway, it's all very confusing. All I know is it's a bloody big cathedral!

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    Largest church bell by radius. Anyway, it's all very confusing. All I know is it's a bloody big cathedral!
    Ah I know what you mean. It has the heaviest full circle bell in the world. 82-0-11cwt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    Ah I know what you mean. It has the heaviest full circle bell in the world. 82-0-11cwt.
    That's it!

It is supposed to have both the highest and the heaviest peal of bells in the world. Doesn't a peal mean more than one? That could explain why there's an individually larger bell. Also largest may not necessarily be the same as heaviest.
    The bells, the bells ......

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by julieoapw View Post
    It is supposed to have both the highest and the heaviest peal of bells in the world. Doesn't a peal mean more than one? That could explain why there's an individually larger bell. Also largest may not necessarily be the same as heaviest.
    The bells, the bells ......
    A peal of bells is normally 6, 8, 10 or 12, really any number above above 2.

The Liverpool Cathedral does have the highest and heaviest peal of bells in the world, they are based on the total weight of the bells and all the bells are to travel 360 degrees full circle.

In the centre of the ring is a single bordon bell, 'Great George' which does not move, only the clapper can be moved.

You can read all the history at:

http://www.liverpoolbells.moonfruit....rpoolcathedral

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast