Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Liverpool Anglican Cathedral

Steven

It's not the two Cathedrals which impress me but the fact that they are joined up by a street called 'Hope.'

my son took this photo.

It's not bad considering it was taken in dim lighting conditions and with his mobile phone.

Whether it's the biggest cathedral or has the biggest bells or whatever - it's such a magnificent building, and especially when you get late afternoon winter sunshine on it. I love the way it's so prominent - I like going to somewhere overlooking Merseyside from a distance, like Helsby Hill, and still seeing it rising above everything else. I remember a few months back when little Rhys Jones's funeral service was there, I was quite moved looking up at it from the river at the time of the service. What a fabulous place.

Default To be or not to be Anglican

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Anglican means "of the Church of England", Curiously, that link you provide doesn't seem to mention the words "Church of England" either.
    Or, if it does, it's not obvious.
    Anglican doesn't mean "Church of England" in the Church in Wales or indeed elsewhere in the world.

Church of England is implied as its the established church. Hence you see many churches calling themselves so and so Parish Church eg Liverpool Parish Church. This can cause confusion too. The Liverpool A to Z map from the early 1990s use to label Liverpool Cathedral the C of E Cathedral. These days its the Anglican Cathedral.

If it's the Metropolitan cathedral in Liverpool why isn't it called the Roman Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral.

I wonder what happens in Armagh where they have two Metropolitan Cathedrals.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Anglican doesn't mean "Church of England"
    Tell that to my Oxford Dictionary.

in the Church in Wales or indeed elsewhere in the world.
    Did I mention Wales, or the rest of the world?

Church of England is implied as its the established church. Hence you see many churches calling themselves so and so Parish Church eg Liverpool Parish Church. This can cause confusion too. The Liverpool A to Z map from the early 1990s use to label Liverpool Cathedral the C of E Cathedral. These days its the Anglican Cathedral.
    I'm confused reading this because I don't understand your point.
    The A-Z maps have never been particularly accurate.

If it's the Metropolitan cathedral in Liverpool why isn't it called the Roman Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral.
    With your knowledge of local churches, it comes as a surprise that you haven't heard the word "Metropolitan" in connection with Liverpool's RC Cathedral.

I wonder what happens in Armagh where they have two Metropolitan Cathedrals.
    Taffy, I'll let you tell me.

My Collins dictionary also tells me Anglican means C of E, it being just another word for it.

It is taken as red that the Metropolitan, designed by a Protestant is Catholic and the Anglican, designed by a Catholic is Protestant as also seen in Warlock and Shepherds time here.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cadfael

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    my son took this photo.

It's not bad considering it was taken in dim lighting conditions and with his mobile phone.
    That's a very impressive photo if taken from a mobile. The interior of the Cathedral is so difficult to photograph as it's very dark and a flash doesn't help at all. I always pity people walking around with very small cameras as you know their prints are going to turn out really bad.

Yes, it's a custy photo, well done to him
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Yes, it's a custy photo, well done to him
    It's not often you're wrong Ged but you're right again. It's an excellent photo. Only last week, I stood in the same spot with Molly and Gerry from Ireland. I told them that when I start to feel 'too big for me boots.' this is where I come to stand for a while. It brings me down to size.

Thanks everyone, I'll tell him

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345