Thread: Liverpool Post-war Development

Blog Entries

Exclamation Liverpool Post-war Development

The Second World War dealt a major blow to Liverpool, but it was the most important factor influencing the replanning of the city. 8 days of enemy bombing raids on the city, in May 1941, left widespread devastation across the central area of the city in particular. Despite the grief felt at the loss of human life and the terrible damage to some of the city?s most treasured buildings, the city?s planners saw it as an opportunity to rebuild the city.

One of the first jobs after the war was to find temporary uses for the bomb-damaged sites in the city centre. A report by the City Engineer?s Department in 1951 listed around 1,500 war-damaged sites in the city. The report suggested that some of these sites could be used as temporary children?s playgrounds and others as car parks.

Liverpool collaborated with a number of private enterprises in rebuilding the city, slowly rejuvenating the blitzed areas with new shops, offices and other commercial buildings. Many shops had to close for business whilst they carried out repairs and in some cases major rebuilding work, as was the case for the famous department stores Lewis?s. Some of the city?s finest cultural institutions also had to be rebuilt. The William Brown Public Library and the Bluecoat Chambers on School Lane were both badly damaged in May 1941. These buildings were restored in the 1950s.

LRO
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

How about a list of buildings built on these sites. I know a lot of the top end of Lord Street was rebuilt - the 50s architecture is a bit bland for me, a sort of art deco without the trimmings (I like art deco)

Incidentally, quite a bit of that end of Lord Street bit the dust for L1.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

Incidentally, quite a bit of that end of Lord Street bit the dust for L1.
    I know, Quite a lot of decent buildings made way for it. wish i had took photos now.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Im not sure what is war buildings? as this city keeps getting knocked down and rebuilt. but an interesting thread.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE