Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: River Mersey Ferry History

Default ROYAL IRIS

A few years ago a friend of mine in the Mersey Ferries Office told me that the Royal Iris's hull was very thin which may cause great poblems with any restoration attempts. Do you remember a ferryboat from the Baltic which was moored around Collingwood dock a few years ago ( may still be there!). they were also looking into converting it for cruise use but it wasn't suitable

Regards Rob

Grins at fish and chip boat remember that too!

Wink

Fish and Chip boat !!!!
    We had better names than that for the Lady. Can not repeat them here, but an open deck in the warm moonlight and hormones running high will get you the picture.
    Oh the 'Lust' of it all
    Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I may be cheaper to build a replica (externally) than renovate the old girl. I like the old light yellow (colour of Wallasey buses) and light green colours. ... .
    The Royal Iris III cost 256,000 when built in 1951/2, buff yellow and emerald green paint and fish and chip shop included.

To build the same thing today (lookalike twin screw diesel electric ferry/cruiseboat 1200 tons) would cost about 14 million pounds. Quite a lot less than one average new jet airliner.

I wonder what became of the Wallasey Corporation crest she wore so proudly?

And btw, does anyone know what became of the annual police river swim from Seacombe/Egremont to New Brighton? The last record I can find is of the 1998 event with no mention of it's being the last. I can recall the policemen diving off the ferry to swim (with the tide of course:-).

Default Mersey Ferries 1980's Catamaran

Does anyone remember the Catamaran that was trialed by Mersey Ferries in the mid 1980's she was red and white in colour and had an aircraft type interior with all the seats facing the same way. Boy was it fast! I think she came from Scotland. I used to go on it all the time when I was a young lad. It didn't last very long before it was withdrawn as apparently it wasn't very good in rough weather and it couldn't handle the Mersey at its worst, so the original Ferries were restored to their tasks!

Unhappy save the royal iris

has a campaign started yet to save the royal iris........ she must be saved ....
    i am so depressed every time i see the latest picture,s of here rusting away on the thames.......

Royal Marines have taken part in a ceremony aboard the Royal Daffodil at Seacombe to commemorate the ferries role in the Zeebrugge landings in 1918.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/7357092.stm

PhilipG

Sad indeed,

I remember the Royal Iris from my childhood.. and seeing the link posted by Liverpolitan makes me so sad \ angry !

I think I found her in google earth...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...02511&t=h&z=19

Feel like stealing her back in the dead of night!

Blog Entries

Default The Royal Iris

In the fabulous summer of '64,when a new club seemed to open every other week , I was in a dalliance with a beautiful young lady who was a singer in a vocal group ,called the Rondels. I was serving on the Saxonia at the time and ,when I was back in the 'Pool we would go clubbing every night I was home. A new one was advertised as opening in the cellars of the Liver Building and young Lulu ,who was enjoying the success of her first hit,with her band ,The Luvvers,was billed to appear.
    A large crowd of people streamed toward the Liver Building on opening night,only to find a notice on the railings stating that the council had refused permission for the club and that the evenings entertainment would take place aboard the Royal Iris. Off we trooped ,along with a few hundred others,to board our ferry down the Mersey. At the age of 25,I was about the oldest man aboard,excepting for the club managers and agents ,hoping to find the next Beatles.I remember that the Blackwells were one of the groups playing that night ,Lulu was very good,her rendition of "Shout" must have been heard in Huyton. I was sitting having a drink with my date and Lulu was at the next table with her Luvvers,kids thronged around her asking for her autograph when she reached across to me and asked if I had a pen."Sorry Lulu" I answered,"I'm not giving any autographs tonight !!" She shrieked with laughter and I gave her my pen. Ahh ,those wonderful days of Rock'n'Roll.......The royal Iris rolled all right when we got beyond New Brighton!!!

Great memories Brian.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

I have many happy memories of the ferries and the Royal Iris, until my final one.

Visiting Liverpool with my wife, about 4 years after we moved away - probably early 80's - we were wandering around the Pier Head. We saw board advertising afternoon river cruises with disco. We paid and went aboard.

We spent our time on deck but it was clear most were there purely as the bar was open, in the days when the pubs shut in the afternoon. Talking to a crew member I discovered that a certain crowd would have a pub session then a boat session, until the pubs opened again.

Didn't cause me any problems until I went to the gents. It was awash, several inches deep, with a mixture of pish and vomit. Clearly, that was a blockage of some sort - but didn't seem to faze some of the punters, who were still going in there.

Not a cruise I ever promoted to anyone else!

Since cruise introduced by Mersey Ferries maybe 10 years ago now,I only been once or twice...Once a time I use go onboard every week..
    But there are many people enjoyining.

remember sailing on the Royal Iris on a Sunday afternoon for a few bevies

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123