Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tate and Lyle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Tate and Lyle

Sugar has been associated with Liverpool for centuries. Henry Tate opened his new refinery in Love Lane in 1872, amalgamating with Lyle’s in l921. The world famous firm finally closed 60 years later – but the name remains, a permanent reminder, above the doors of the art gallery, the Tate Liverpool, on Albert Dock.

The history of Tate’s is not just about dates, however - or philanthropy, or new processes - it’s about the people who worked there, especially the women. They have their own stories to tell about being part of a factory family. The following tales, which span the last 50 years of Tate and Lyle, are recalled by the women who worked in sugar. More...

Image courtesy of L
    iverpool City Library and the Records Office:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2LAW009.jpg 
Views:	1422 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	20290  
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Good thread. The Scottie Press website www.scottiepress.org carries some pics and info on their archives section.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

There are some interesting pictures of the concrete dockside sugar silo being built here.

The pictures below are of the conveyor tower and silo last year. The tower will most likely be demolished in the near future, although the silo is currently used for storing animal feeds.

Blog Entries

Fascinating pics Snappel
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Great link to the English Heritage pics Snappel and great pics of your own.

scouserdave

A few shots from the T&L tower. Taken yesterday.

My father in law was the chief steward at Tates. He lobbied for years to keep the place open.

There is a book and television documentary in the works "Boys From The White Stuff".
    A small belief can mean you'll never walk alone

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    My father in law was the chief steward at Tates. He lobbied for years to keep the place open.
    What was the name of the union? The reason I am asking is that I watched a documentary on CBC TV in which the host, Joe Schlessinger, commented on Redpath Sugar (Tate & Lyle subsidiary) laying off workers in Montreal. His comment was to the effect that the Redpath owners, Tate's, was a very profit oriented company who gave little thought to staff loyalty. He gave the example of the company's head refinery in Liverpool that, although in a highly unionised city, was none union and never sufferd one disruption through workers industrial action and was also profitable. And to be honest, having been born and raised withing shouting distance of the plant and having a number of relatives who worked for them and I even learned to swim in the warm canal water that was exhausted from Tate's at Chisenale Street, I can't ever remember any mention of the union. Thanks in advance.

PS: As the song goes; "I never roamed those fields of sugar cane
    coz I ewzed to pinch me sugar from the wagons
    in Love Lane."
    Help find Madeleine

The book i'm just reading, left by the book club in work features a pic of the water rats (local lads) who used to swim butt naked in the scaldies (as you'll know, the name given to the Tates warmed kinny)

There's also a pic of well known local Liverpool club swimmer James Clarke who has a street named after him off Burlington Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The book i'm just reading, left by the book club in work features a pic of the water rats (local lads) who used to swim butt naked in the scaldies (as you'll know, the name given to the Tates warmed kinny).
    "Oh yes, I remember it well."
    I well remember the first time I was able do a few strokes without sinking. I was with me cousins, who were a few years older than me and their mams, me auntie Maggie Fitz and me auntie Vera Sant who watched over us, like mother hens, from the Chisinale Street bridge by the 'Fly House'. They were all determined to teach me to swim and, were succesful.
    Help find Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    A few shots from the T&L tower. Taken yesterday.
    Nice one Dave, it really is an interesting bit of dockside history. Just a shame about the vandalism in there, but that seems to be inevitable...

Blog Entries

Just seen your pics Dave, many thanks. Do u often take a souvenir away? I don't think I could resist surrounded by all that history.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Although it's technically theft, I've done it on occasion when it's in the best interests of the building/history. I can't speak for Dave though, but it'd be interesting to hear how he feels about it. For example, the third time I went to this place all the porcelain fuse-holders had been smashed by vandals. I found about four or five that were still intact and took them back with me - not much use for them there now. Also I found a couple of milk bottles that must be from the 70s which I rescued - how they escaped being thrown is a mystery.

By the way, here's a photo of the 'Tate Hall' at the University of Liverpool. Situated in their Victoria Building, it was the original library for the university. More recently used for functions and exams, it's currently being cleaned up as part of plans to turn the building into a museum and resource centre. Why the photo? Well, it was funded and named after Henry Tate, of Tate & Lyle fame...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Why the photo? Well, it was funded and named after Henry Tate, of Tate & Lyle fame...

Superb, I spent a day at Risley Remand Centre and took a souvenir off of one of the old cell walls.

There were also trips torn out from a bible hung up around the lamps, weird.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    here's a photo of the 'Tate Hall' at the University of Liverpool.
    My friend owns the home of Henry Tate, or at least the home Henry Tate built and lived in. It's in Woolton and is now called the Redburn Hotel.
    Help find Madeleine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast