YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Queens Square Bus Stops

  1. #1
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Queens Square Bus Stops

    Does anyone have any old photos of the bus stops at Queens Square before the Rat & Parrot / Yates era.

    What I'd love to see is the old toy shop, Tumbles. All I remember from that place is that they never every seemed to have any decent Star Wars toys. They would never have Darth Vader or Han Solo but they had tons of the gay robots C3P0 & R2D2.

    If you could help it would make my day.


    ADVERTISING



  2. #2
    Cadfael
    Guest Cadfael's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev S View Post
    Does anyone have any old photos of the bus stops at Queens Square before the Rat & Parrot / Yates era.

    What I'd love to see is the old toy shop, Tumbles. All I remember from that place is that they never every seemed to have any decent Star Wars toys. They would never have Darth Vader or Han Solo but they had tons of the gay robots C3P0 & R2D2.

    If you could help it would make my day.
    The last port of call for us kids was the Tumbles shop. Always empty but always seemed to stock a million and one things (bar your star wars toys!).
    Right out of the place so no wonder it packed up, but they were real toy shops!

  3. #3
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    The last port of call for us kids was the Tumbles shop. Always empty but always seemed to stock a million and one things (bar your star wars toys!).
    Right out of the place so no wonder it packed up, but they were real toy shops!
    I remember walking over the car park and if memory serves me right there was a furniture / carpet shop next door to it. It could have been a garage though, it was a long time ago and all I was thinking of was lightsabres when I was going up there!

  4. #4
    Cadfael
    Guest Cadfael's Avatar

    Default

    I do remember going on my arse on many an occasion with those small steps - slippery when wet!

  5. #5
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I do remember going on my arse on many an occasion with those small steps - slippery when wet!
    Ah its all coming back to me now! Remember the bridge that used to go across the bus lanes?

  6. #6
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Hello Kev. Here's a pic of Tumbles and the overhead walkway at the Gyratory - the bubble bus stops and here is the thread on this very site that the pic is taken from - enjoy.

    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...e+stops&page=6

    .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gyratory%20%284%29.jpg 
Views:	602 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	19853  
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  7. #7
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Hello Kev. Here's a pic of Tumbles and the overhead walkway at the Gyratory - the bubble bus stops and here is the thread on this very site that the pic is taken from - enjoy.

    http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...e+stops&page=6

    .
    Cheers Ged. Them photos are brilliant. I know it wasn't so long ago but I can't remember the bus stops looking like that.

  8. #8
    Libertarian
    Guest Libertarian's Avatar

    Default

    I know that a lot of people generally think things always get worse as time passes but what struck me when I looked at them photos is that in my view society is better now than it was then as there has been progress

  9. #9
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    in my view society is better now than it was then
    What have you got against that dude getting on the 79 to Netherley Libertarian?

  10. #10
    Libertarian
    Guest Libertarian's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kev S View Post
    What have you got against that dude getting on the 79 to Netherley Libertarian?
    Hey ! that was me in 1982!! I haven't changed much.

  11. #11
    Libertarian
    Guest Libertarian's Avatar

    Default

    In fact i'm sure its rafa take a look!!!

  12. #12
    Senior Member SteH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Childwall, Liverpool
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Theres a blue/yellow Fareway bus in the left of the picture remember them.

  13. #13
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Theres a blue/yellow Fareway bus in the left of the picture remember them.
    The F1, F2, F3 & F4.

    Happy Days. The F4 was a nasty bus ride especially coming from Kirkby. There was rumours that they were gonna hire stewardesses to serve food and provide blankets as the bus ride was that long.

  14. #14
    A New Dad! Kev S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    West Derby
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
    In fact i'm sure its rafa take a look!!!
    Nah, if it was Rafa he would be getting the 86A to the Airport to go back to Spain..At least that's what it seems like he's trying to do with these team selections recently.

  15. #15
    Senior Member lindylou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,678
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Does anyone remember when they had a temporary market place at the back of where Tumbles was ?

    I can't recall the year, but when ST Johns market had to close because of the fire - they set up stalls on the car park behind the bus stops.

    I would guess it must have been late 1970s

  16. #16
    Senior Member lindac8941's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Brill pic, thats where I get my bus from now, right where that bus is..

  17. #17
    Senior Member squiggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wirral
    Posts
    204
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Does anyone remember when they had a temporary market place at the back of where Tumbles was ?

    I can't recall the year, but when ST Johns market had to close because of the fire - they set up stalls on the car park behind the bus stops.

    I would guess it must have been late 1970s
    I phoned 999 when I was passing St Johns that night of the fire !, I dont know if I was the first but must have been close !!....

  18. #18
    Local Historian Cadfael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    494
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    When you look at that excellent picture, you wonder which clown in the planning department thought that it would be a good idea to merge 3 lanes in to a single lane that we have now. That area is always full of buses either waiting to pull out or wrongly parked so no one else can go past.

Similar Threads

  1. Queens square
    By gregs dad in forum Liverpool City Center - Inner Zones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!