Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: War Time Liverpool

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    I can't imagine how life must have been for the people of Liverpool between 39-45. I can still recall playing in the bombdies in the early 60s.
    Picture scanned from "Bombers over Merseyside - The Authoritative Record of the Blitz 1940-41" Liverpool Daily Post And Echo Ltd. 1943

I was age 13 at the start of the war, and remember the nights of bombing.
    You would just get to sleep, then would be woken by the air raid sirens, and head down into the Anderson shelter built in the garden.
    My older sister Edith, by 10 years, worked in the aircraft factory in Speke, and refused to get out of bed, saying she needed her sleep for work.
    One night a bomb landed a stones throw away from our house, but just around a corner which gave our house protection from blast damage.
    My mother, hearing the explosion, though she had lost Edith.

Being young, I wanted out of the shelter to witness what was going on, and would go to join the air raid wardens. Strangely, the bomb landed about 15 feet from where the wardens waited in a covered entry. They were not there that night.
    Another night I remember watching hundreds of incendiary bombs burning out on the golf course that was behind our house on the other side of Menlove Avenue. It was lucky, as dropped a second or two later or earlier they could have been on our homes.
    My desire was to be a Spitfire pilot, but when time for my medical came, I failed being taken into the armed forces because I was born with a club right foot, almost straightened over the years by Plaster of Paris casts until I was four, and an operation when 10., but my leg and foot are smaller than my left leg as a result..
    Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, as had I been fit to join, I may now be dead, or injured, as many were.

Wooltonian

Last edited by Wooltonian; 04-21-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345