Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: War Time Liverpool

chippie

Kev; The Louisa Street photo I hijacked from a cousins website, I think she got it from records office.

Drone; that was great, you,re a scream

George

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    Here you go Kev,

Sorry thought you said "Can you pass the sauce please Chippie?"

PMSL

Blog Entries

Images courtesy: LRO

1) Air Raid Rescue Party School Dove Street 1939

2) Air Raid Rescue Party School Dove Street 1939 Dummy

3) Air Raid Rescue Party Trench Bootle 1938

4) Air Raid Rescue Squad 1939

5) Air Raid Shelter Bunk Beds 1942

6) Air Raid Shelter Liver Buildings Pier Head 1948

7) Air Raid Shelter Lower Lane Fazakerley 1939

8) Air Raid Shelter Removal Bidder Street 1945

9) Air Raid Shelter St Georges Hall 1948

10) Air Raid Shelter William Brown Street 1944

11) India Buildings Entrance Bricked Up 1944

12) Munitions Girl 1918 Artillary Shells Behind

13) Munitions Girls 1918

14) St Clements Anti Gass School 1937

15) St Clements Anti Gass School Lecture Room Men 1937

16) Stent Air Raid Shelter 1939
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Rescue Party School Dove Street 1939.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	146.1 KB 
ID:	8123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Rescue Party School Dove Street 1939 Dummy.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	8124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Rescue Party Trench Bootle 1938.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	8125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Rescue Squad 1939.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	8126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Shelter Bunk Beds 1942.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	8127  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Shelter Liver Buildings Pier Head 1948.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	144.9 KB 
ID:	8128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Shelter Lower Lane Fazakerley 1939.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	8129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Shelter Removal Bidder Street 1945.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	8130   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Shelter St Georges Hall 1948.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	8131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Air Raid Shelter William Brown Street 1944.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	8132  

Name:	India Buildings Entrance Bricked Up 1944.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	149.5 KB 
ID:	8133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Munitions Girl 1918 Artillary Sheels Behind.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	8134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Munitions Girls 1918.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	8135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Clements Anti Gass School 1937.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	8136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Clements Anti Gass School Lecture Room Men 1937.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	8137  

Name:	Stent Air Raid Shelter 1939.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	8138  
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

interesting to see the photos of my old infant school, Dove Street,
    I have seen photos of a gas chamber there which was a bit worrying,its a good job I was good in school
    does anyone know if St Clements School is also Dove St?
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

superb images thanks for sharing, do you have anymore like these that you could put on here

Default Liverpool Wartime.

Hi All,
    So many stories about the War we lived in Hornsey Road,Grandad,Mum,Dad,Me(7ys old),Mum brothers and sisters,Uncle Cyril(4 1/2 years older than me,Aunty Dora,AuntyMarjorie,Uncle Reg(joined the navy)
    Their dad lived in Norris Green.His wife died 1935 and he was an Alcoholic because of the trauma from WW1.He was an Engineer and ship was torpedoed March 3rd 1917.Was one of only 7 survivors,first 5 had their feet amputated as soon as they landed in Capetown.After being rescued by Blue Funnel,S.S.Deucalion 12th March 1917.He was almost sent home right away but Mum remembered he was in terrible pain and they took toes off and bits of flesh,before starting to amputate in 1920-21.He became a bit of a tyrant but they did try to support him.Then when the came to live with us,little boys have big ears.I heard little whisperings about "Lunty" as he was Called.
    I must admit it bothered me a lot but I put it in the back of my mind.Collecting Shrapnel was a great hobby.One morning Finchley Road was a no go area with wooden like trestles and a Soldier and Home Guard keeping
    the people from Hornsey Road,Harrow Road,forgotten the next one and all the back jiggers from going in to Finchley Road. Finchley Road just looked like it had Tulips growing out of it.There were more than a 100 Incediary Bombs sticking out of the tar.And they were waiting to get the bomb squad to defuse them.It was in the afternoon when they arrived and the detonaters still needed to be taken out but they were filled with dirt the soldier told us.Could go on for hours.The best of the lot in a way was us walking up the street were the Sandon Pub was,the Dairy opposite the bowling green of the Sandon had a Beechnut Chewing Gum Machine on the brick wall.There were three of us,Ronnie ,Don I think or Ian and Myself and Ronnie gave it a right bang and the draw flew out and a packet of Chewy was still in there,so we gave it a right going over and we got 7 seven packets of Beechnut out.This was when the bliztes were just about to start so they hadbenn in there for a year or two.We did go to Lunty's once when he got a note to Mum that he was off the bottle and the British Legion had put an Anderson Shelter in the garden and he thought it better for us,Mum ,Me and Cyril to stay there during the raids.There was a raid the 1st night till about 4am Cyril had to tidy the shelter,I did the dishes and Mum went round to the shops.There was all this banging etc going on upstairs then I could hear Lunty coming down the stairs like a ton of bricks.Came in the kitchen and started to beat me up with his walking sticks,I was screaming and yelling and think I must have past out.Cyril had come in with all the noise and the next door neighbour had come over and had Lunty's walking sticks in his hand.Saying something like You B------ you ruined your family and wife etc,Then Mum arrived and has always stuck in my mind,"Dad you killed Mum with a broken heart and now your trying to kill your grandson,thats it Reggie and Gordon( he was working in Manchester) are going to know about this.The only two who saw him again was Reggie and Cyril at his funeral in 1955.I did get to know him a wee bit just before I was 18,but thats another story.I even got a right rollicking off them all but he was my Grandad.I've rambled on a bit Best Regards Ken B

Bloomin Heck Ken, what a story. thank you for sharing it.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Default ews

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    I can just make out:
    EWS 50 Yards -->
    (EWS= Emergency Water Station)
    Edge Lane/ Needham Road
    hi all, there is another i spotted today thanks to you Kev, the corner sheil road and bigham.

Blog Entries

Everyone cheers for another great thread!

I'll be adding more pics soon.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

P51 Mustangs being taken from Liverpool Docks to the Rootes Aircraft factory at Speke airport. They are in partial knock-down form.

The lines of planes are moving up Parliament St and moving into Upper parliament St at the junction of St James Place. To the right is leading to Park Lane and Gt. George St. One building looks like it has temporary roof covering - probably after a fire bomb dropped on it.

St James Church is to the left off picture. The corner of the street to the left is the disused St. James' station. The large warehouse in the misty background is still there, nothing else is - even the planes I'm sure have been melted down.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Good description WW. Saw this on another forum earlier and was wondering what part of Upper Parly it was.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default P-51 Mustangs

Hi All & Waterways,As it says in the description P-51 Mustangs.The last photo if you look closely at the first plane you can see her bulk underneath.That was the Big Air in take.And you can notice it in some of the other photos.The other plane that used to come on the liberty ships were the "Hudsons" twin engined,But the wings were taken off at the outside of the engine,also the tailplane wings so they fitted neatly on the Deck.I went on the Bramley Moore with my Grandad and his tug and another had to get this liberty ship in to dock.The midships accomadation was just a burnt out shell.The Hudsons appeared to be OK just the odd hole here and there.I was on the Moore for two days as they had to get the ships unloaded ASAP.The raids had been going for a while and the blitzes were only a week or to away.Pa and I walked past the Ship with the Accomadation burnt out.There were about 20 Body Bags laying on the dock side.Always remember him stopping and saying remember those men, lad they died trying to help us.Two American MPs came over and talk to my Grandad,can't remember what about.But Pa gave them a big Hug.He just wasn't that kind of guy.He always told me my other Grandad "Lunty" was a WW1 hero.Pa was 76 when he retired off the Bramley Moore Aug !945 and lived till he was 86 in 1955.
    Stirred me up when I went to sea as an Engineer.Best when I was home on leave.3 or 4 am in the morning.He give me a shake and Say"Pair of Kippers or Plate of Salt fish" on the table Lad.We used to have some great laughs.Mum had a cake shop delicatessen in Breckfield Road North.Imagine that marvellous aroma in a cake shop.
    Talking about the Lady pilots I was at Padgate with my Uncle John or the Airfield close by and a delivery of Spitfire were coming in and one was having trouble.I was standing just outside the 2 storey control tower and they were shouting instructions to her, over the radio I presume.She was trying to hold the plane steady as it came in,but it was doing all kinds of little twists and turns but coming in to land.Suddenly the Port wing literally fell off and she went straight in and was killed.War Ugh.Terrorists Nut cases,. Best Rgards Ken

Ken,

You may well be interested in the Pearsons of Liverpool story - my website Pearsons is about the WW2 war time efforts based in and around Edge Hill/Wavertree.

Default Pearsons and an 11-12 year old.

Hi Cadfael (Senior Member)
    My G/G Grandfather had a big Shire or Clydesdale Horse to pull his big Cart.The horse was stabled up passed the Pavillion somewhere.I remember he had these two fairly big boxes on the cart.I had hopped on his cart and was talking to him and he was saying that the horse would sleep well that night as ,it was struggling a bit with the load.He parked the cart with the load on.Think it was at the back of the stables and I helped him take Goliath the horse into its little pen in the stable.He was feeding it and water,and brushing the horse down and I got a bit bored.So I went out and climbed on top of the boxes on the cart.I remember it had stencilling on and a lot of numbers plus I'm sure GM then _____ ______ suspension.I stood up and about 4 streets and a couple of small factories I thought I could see a couple of trucks with like long thin Machine guns on.So I went and told Big Dada as he was called I would go home to his place before I caught the 26 Bus to Oakfield Road on my way home.But first of all I went down the couple of streets and was having a look at these 4 small trucks with these machine guns on, a bit like the Long Range Desert Group Hardware.A man came over and told me I had to go and not to be so nosey.Also not to come back and say anything to my mates.So I took off and went to Big Mama's,my G/G Grand mothers 25,Toft Street.off Holt Road.And had her yummy date scones and Lemonade.I told her what I had seen and she told me that I was not to tell anybody even Mum or Dad what I had seen.
    She said Aunty Ida or Aunty Doddy worked there and it was a secret,that no one should know about.I promised her and never ever said anything about it.In fact as soon as I read you Web Site it all came back.At just on 77 I have always been Blessed with almost a photographic memory,certainly not quite so good as it used to be.So Thank You for answering another of my wartime occurences or maybe adventures.Still have a couple more to find out about.One is were all the Sherman Tanks where Parked off Priory Road???.We used to play on them and One of the American Sergeants asked my mate Ronnie Hogarth and I to count them for him in case some one had stolen one during the night.And if we got the number right he would take us for a drive in one of the Tanks.807 and it was right on the Button.We got our ride in the tank and it wasn't a Sherman it was a General Grant as they had just arrived and he was going to give them all a check and Park them.When you think of it these days someone would probably nick one.Your book must be fascinating but cross my heart I never said another word after Big Mama made me promise not to.Tomorrow I will get onto Wellington Library in case they have your book.Almost an answer to a prayer in finding out about the Pearson's War Effort and my curiousity not being allowed to say any more.Best Regards to You and Yours Ken Berry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Berry View Post
    .Still have a couple more to find out about.One is were all the Sherman Tanks where Parked off Priory Road???.We used to play on them and One of the American Sergeants asked my mate Ronnie Hogarth and I to count them for him in case some one had stolen one during the night.And if we got the number right he would take us for a drive in one of the Tanks.807 and it was right on the Button.We got our ride in the tank and it wasn't a Sherman it was a General Grant as they had just arrived and he was going to give them all a check and Park them.When you think of it these days someone would probably nick one.Your book must be fascinating but cross my heart I never said another word after Big Mama made me promise not to.Tomorrow I will get onto Wellington Library in case they have your book.Almost an answer to a prayer in finding out about the Pearson's War Effort and my curiousity not being allowed to say any more.Best Regards to You and Yours Ken Berry
    There were tanks stored and repaired in Breckside park depot. Breckside park is off Lower Breck rd Anfield. Lower Breck rd is a continuation after Priory rd. I have seen on the internet a photo of the Breckside tanks. I can't find it now though.
    I could only find this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/s...a4044007.shtml

The Breckside depot was demolished in recent years and new houses built on the site.
    Last edited by lindylou; 04-20-2009 at 12:10 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast