Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 08 terrorist threat?

I have a genuine belief that if the U.S. wasn't involved in this war, then everyone would be in a much better position today. They might have one of the biggest military forces in the world but they are poorly trained compared to other countries and their foreign policy is awful. They will only get involved in a conflict if it directly threatens America or will have some sort of benefit to them, as was the case in WW2.
    I think that Europe and other countries should take control of the situation in the middle east with the U.S. taking a back seat, although I can't see this happening. They make situations worse with their trigger happy nature and fail to realise that shooting at everything doesn't solve problems, it creates them.
    They have a very out dated military in terms of it's size. There is no need for huge military's in todays world as terrorism is the main threat to a country not invasion.They focus too much on quantity and not quality. Small agile forces and technology are the way forward.
    Last edited by AK1; 07-03-2007 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    There is no need for huge military's in todays world as terrorism is the main threat to a country not invasion.They focus too much on quantity and not quality. Small agile forces and technology are the way forward.
    Staying out of other peoples business, not supporting despots and dictators, attending to the interests and needs of ones own average citizen and not just the powerful wealthy few with special interests would, in my opinion, go a long way in combating terrorism. Solve the root cause of terrorism and you won't have terrorism or, you won't have it on the scale we have today. Just look at the Northern Irish situation, who would have thought a decade ago that we would now have a coalition in Stormont and, uneasy though it is, peace in the province? The catholic grievances have been, to a certain extent, answered satisfactory.

It is more complex in the Middle East with the Israeli situation, and the Wests slavish compliance with Israeli and US dictats for the region, at the root problem but, IMHO, it can be done and should be done.
    Help find Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by AK1 View Post
    I have a genuine belief that if the U.S. wasn't involved in this war, then everyone would be in a much better position today. They might have one of the biggest military forces in the world but they are poorly trained compared to other countries and their foreign policy is awful. They will only get involved in a conflict if it directly threatens America or will have some sort of benefit to them, as was the case in WW2.
    I think that Europe and other countries should take control of the situation in the middle east with the U.S. taking a back seat, although I can't see this happening. They make situations worse with their trigger happy nature and fail to realise that shooting at everything doesn't solve problems, it creates them.
    They have a very out dated military in terms of it's size. There is no need for huge military's in todays world as terrorism is the main threat to a country not invasion.They focus too much on quantity and not quality. Small agile forces and technology are the way forward.
    Well yes. What you say is generally true but it doesn't take account of the fact that former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld (not that I am any fan of his) thought he could win the 1993 war against Iraq mainly through an air war: Shock and Awe, etc. He and his team were mostly right about that in that the Iraqis were pummeled and made ready for the invading U.S. troops who took over without much substantial opposition. It is in the mistakes that have been made since -- with the U.S. winning the war but not the peace -- that has put us in the position we are in today.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    Staying out of other peoples business, not supporting despots and dictators, attending to the interests and needs of ones own average citizen and not just the powerful wealthy few with special interests would, in my opinion, go a long way in combating terrorism.
    Yes, but you'd still have terrorism and jihad. Besides, would you trust countries that support suicide bombings to have nuclear weapons? Or are you suggesting that if we (UK and US) weren't so offensive then they wouldn't need them?

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    Don't you see that whoever's doing it is trying to give us a taste of what it must be like to be an Iraqi?

Most of us seem to think we should continue unthinkingly supporting or putting up with have a government that pointlessly messes up other people's lives because we do not like their ruler.

Terrorising us is the only way the only language some of us will ever understand to convey the enormity of the crime that has been perpetrated against the Iraqi people.

It is an attempt to make the unquestioning and the unthinking question and think, in my humble opinion.

Do the means justify the ends? If you are British and previously safe you might not think the same as an Iraqis who were previously relatively safer and who are now daily terrorised, maimed and killed by car bombs. I have no doubt that some of them would like us to see THEIR point of view, for a change.

Look carefully, and you will find "how would you like it if you had a taste of your own medicine?" messages contained in the cars of these terrorists.

I have no doubt one or the other: Labour and Tory - who both supported the war - will be voted in again at the next election. This is after all the glorious system of democracy that we are all so proud of. We would not change it for the world, would we?
    Why can't they put their point of view another way Instead of being retards and driving cars Into Airports or suiciding buildings? Our governments the one sending the army to war not the citizens so why should we have to be attacked? I know your not saying It justifies It though.

We shouldn't have to put up with attacks because of governments they should see that.

Right, say If the Iraq war was only started for liberations purposes would you support It then? Aren't we supposed to care about the rest of the world?

Errmm no theres many who would understand whats happening, we don't need terrorising. Most of these terrorist groups don't come across as very bright. They go off religion most of the time to justify attacks too.

I remember you saying once that why go to another country when you have what you need here, did that apply for holidays too?

At least Labour wouldn't only be Interested In only helping White British citizens and that there not for the death penalty.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Yes, but you'd still have terrorism and jihad. Besides, would you trust countries that support suicide bombings to have nuclear weapons? Or are you suggesting that if we (UK and US) weren't so offensive then they wouldn't need them?
    I am saying if you are a bully and bullying me, then yes, I will take measures to protect myself. And yes, the US want's to be the only nation with nuclear weapons. Israel, Pakistan, India, North Korea, China, Russia, United Kingdom and France have nuclear weapons, they, the US, are the only ones to date who have used these weapons in anger. That is a fact.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 07-03-2007 at 06:02 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

I see that nobody thinks like I, nobody thinks that they also are victims...

military intelligence is a contradiction in terms
    - Groucho Marx

Breaking news

kat2

Dam NHS, I will never trust another doctor again
    that one certainly looks dodgey ** I didnt even know he was dead.
    kat
    springing up all over the place now!
    next it will be the dentists *ewwwwww*
    lookout for the tooth fairy too *eeeeeeww*
    dam paranoia..

with the U.S. winning the war but not the peace -- that has put us in the position we are in today.
    I read an article in the Daily Mail yesterday and the said the U.S were losing the war in Iraq and Bush is too pigheaded to admit it.Everyone is turning against him now and he still wont back down.It said there are American Commanders in Iraq today,tormented by the awareness of failure and of what this will mean to Iraqis who have fought beside them,on the losing side.These people are the first to be butchered when the Americans and British cut and run.

I don't think we face a terrotrist threat in 2008,I think we face one every day now thanks to our country's failed foreign policy.You can't impose your will on other people,it just doesn't work.These people still bury women up to the elbows and throw rocks at their heads for committing adultery,small ones at first to inflict as much pain as possible,they still live in the middle ages,they don't think like we do.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345