Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool and Martin Luther King

Default Liverpool and Martin Luther King

Liverpool tourist chiefs stand by Martin Luther King claim, Daily Telegraph, Monday, 4 April 2011.

". . . tourism officials in the city have published the extraordinary claim that Martin Luther King’s 'I have a dream' speech was written at a city centre hotel. The allegation has been made in a guide to a major art event entitled 'Liverpool Discovers', commissioned by amongst others, the city council.

"A map in the guide shows how more than 20 locations where famous people were born along with places associated with celebrities and events in their lives.

"The guide proclaims: 'Martin Luther King visited his supporters in Liverpool three times, and the first draft of his famous "I have a dream" speech is alleged to be written on Adelphi Hotel headed notepaper.'

"The speech, delivered to civil rights campaigners on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington in 1963, is one of the most quoted texts in history and was a defining moment in the American Civil Rights movement and in the fight for racial equality."

The claim seems to be very dubious.

The following article might give the true dope about the first draft of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech:

On Martin Luther King Day, remembering the first draft of 'I Have a Dream' by Clarence B. Jones, Washington Post, Sunday, January 16, 2011.

Mr. Jones was a speechwriter for Dr. King and he says that before arriving in Washington, D.C., before MLK gave the speech, nothing had been done to begin writing the speech:

". . . it wasn't until mid-August that Martin had Stanley [Levison, another adviser and speechwriter] and I work up a draft. And though I had that material with me when I arrived at the Willard Hotel in Washington for a meeting on the evening of Tuesday, Aug. 27, Martin still didn't know what he was going to say. . . . 12 hours before the March on Washington began, Martin gathered with a small group of advisers to hammer out the themes of his speech."

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Interesting story.......would be nice if it were true.
    Didn't know Dr King had visited Liverpool, I'm sure we would have been aware if he had??

Wishful thinking methinks! It is even alleged that Hitler visited his cousin in Liverpool, who worked at the Adelphi. The Adelphi had many illustrious visitors over the years. The tale of Roy Rodgers and Trigger may be true- I've seen the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat scouse View Post
    Wishful thinking methinks! It is even alleged that Hitler visited his cousin in Liverpool, who worked at the Adelphi. The Adelphi had many illustrious visitors over the years. The tale of Roy Rodgers and Trigger may be true- I've seen the pictures!
    As a wee lad, I saw Roy Rogers and Trigger onstage at the Empire so I think you are correct about Roy and the horse. As for Adolf and MLK, it's a bit of colorful legend in both cases, I think.

Roy Rogers, Trigger, and wife Dale Evans
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Ah, those were the days Chris. More on Roy, Trigger and much else...

http://www.spencerleigh.demon.co.uk/Vincent_sample2.htm

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local...y_rogers.shtml

Blog Entries

I must admit I also questioned this when I read it. I don't think it is true.

The Liverpool Discovers project is, in my opinion, appalling. There has clearly been no adequate research or any sort of objective criticism of the subject matter.

It seems rushed and very superficial.

As to the 'local historians' they have consulted; I assume this does not include the proper academic historians (Belchem, Royden etc...). Its probably the the big-mouthed regurgitators of Liverpools past histories with no record of their own research.

I know this may seem a little elitist, but I am unapologetic for that. There is 'folk history' and 'local history' - both tell us a lot about people, places and times but the difference is that proper local history must follow the historical method of having evidence and authority.

By evidence I mean something solid, paperwork, a building, records.

By authority I mean an education or at least training in line with regard to academic rigour.

Accepting submissions from Johnny Public and printing them as fact is a great disservice to Liverpool and its history.

Oh... and they also include the William Mackenzie pyramid story.

Sounds like the same people who advised the "Beatles Story" re' "facts", according to a recent post by Knowhowe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    I must admit I also questioned this when I read it. I don't think it is true.

The Liverpool Discovers project is, in my opinion, appalling. There has clearly been no adequate research or any sort of objective criticism of the subject matter.

It seems rushed and very superficial.

As to the 'local historians' they have consulted; I assume this does not include the proper academic historians (Belchem, Royden etc...). Its probably the the big-mouthed regurgitators of Liverpools past histories with no record of their own research.

I know this may seem a little elitist, but I am unapologetic for that. There is 'folk history' and 'local history' - both tell us a lot about people, places and times but the difference is that proper local history must follow the historical method of having evidence and authority.

By evidence I mean something solid, paperwork, a building, records.

By authority I mean an education or at least training in line with regard to academic rigour.

Accepting submissions from Johnny Public and printing them as fact is a great disservice to Liverpool and its history.

Oh... and they also include the William Mackenzie pyramid story.
    Unfortunately a lot of things get accepted as "the truth" when, as you say, some careful research will show that such stories are tosh.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    Ah, those were the days Chris. More on Roy, Trigger and much else...

http://www.spencerleigh.demon.co.uk/Vincent_sample2.htm

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/local...y_rogers.shtml
    Glad to read that Trigger was actually in the police stables on Smithdown Road, even if his hoofmark is in the Adelphi guest registration book. I do remember that Roy shot some dice out of the air from the stage of the Empire. Of course whether he actually did that or it was just illusion, I am not sure. I doubt if there were any live bullets buzzing round in the Empire!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Blog Entries

Glad to read that Trigger was actually in the police stables on Smithdown Road, even if his hoofmark is in the Adelphi guest registration book.
    I always thought he was kept at the Corportation Central Stables, Smithdown Lane - at least that was what I was told by the Williamson Tunnels people.

Also, Cadfaels website: http://www.smithdownlane.co.uk/ Suggests it was so.

I have no evidence, but it makes more sense to have it near the city centre than on Smithdown Road.

Trigger sold for a lot of money a year ago...

http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...rs-horse_N.htm

I remember the museum in Branson, but I guess it' moving...

Maybe it's a late April Fool!

I've just been listening to local radio and they have been talking about urban myths. They reckon this is one of them.

Blog Entries

I wouldn't even say urabn myth. A myth is something that has been around for a long time and is generally known about in the wider population.

I certainly hadn't heard of the Martin Luther King story until Liverpool Discovered happened.

Is it really an urban myth if it's just a few months old? More like an outright lie to me.

Blog Entries

I have a dream...

That MLK came to Liverpool and penned those words. What a load of ole twaddle.
    It's getting them a lot of publicity though.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    I have a dream...

That MLK came to Liverpool and penned those words. What a load of ole twaddle.
    It's getting them a lot of publicity though.
    One of my history pals joked that it was more likely, being Liverpool, "I Have a Team."
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast