Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheadle Avenue and Stanley

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I can see both sides of this :

I am sure the people of Stanley know it's definately there !!

I must admit though that I didn't know there was a district known as Stanley.
    If anyone had asked me directions I would say '' never heard of it, do you mean Stanley Park ? I only know that there is a place called Stanley in or near Wigan.''

Of course I know Old Swan and Kensington running down towards Fairfield.

I have heard of the abattoir being officially known as Stanley Abattoir -- but I didn't give it a second thought. I didn't know that the name refered to the district.

Newsham park should have been called 'Stanley Park' seeing that it is nearer to the actual district. Newsham park must have come into existance after Stanley Park had already been named.

There must be a few little known districts in the Merseyside area. ie; Little Bongs !!

Part of Anfield can be called 'Walton on the Hill -- but no one ever refers to it as being that.

No one I know ever refers to Harrington either.
    Of course "Stanley" is the family name of the Earls of Derby so there are bound to be a number of names of local streets, parks, etc., that are connected to the family, Stanley Park and, I assume, the district of Stanley being two such connections. Actually though I have to admit that I didn't know that Stanley or Little Bongs were local neighbourhoods. Great to see the name Little Bongs on a street sign, so thanks for that, MarkA.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

MarkA

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Stoneycroft is another name around there that seems to have been lost.
    It was for years until recently when the new district signs were put up and now it's back. It starts in Derby Lane at the Queens Drive end but I haven't seen another boundary sign to mark the other end of it.

Default St Paul's Church Derby Lane Stoneycroft

Just to add to the confusion, this church was once regarded as being in Stanley !! See photo of memorial plaque.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Paul's Church Stoneycroft Liverpool March 2006 036.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	3722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Paul's Church Stoneycroft Liverpool March 2006 027.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	3723  

PhilipG

Hello Chris.

I'm assuming you added 'Little Bongs' to the title of this thread.
    It's actually quite a long way from Cheadle Avenue, and was only mentioned when the topic went off on a tangent.

BTW, I tried to email you privately, but you need to enable the facility from your end.

That's fine, Philip. I can remove the Little Bongs reference if it is not appropriate to the overall title reflecting the neighbourhood of Cheadle Avenue and Stanley. I will enable the email function although it appears we have the facility to PM once again as well.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

PhilipG

Default St Paul's, Stoneycroft.

That photo's very interesting, but I think a mistake was made.
    St Paul's was built either on the site of Stoneycroft House, or very close to it.
    The 1905 OS map even shows the 'S' of 'STONEYCROFT' is in Brookland Road, yards away from the tram depot at the corner of Green Lane and Prescot Road.
    'STANLEY' is shown on the same map to the left of Church Road, off Prescot Road (south of the 'Liverpool Cattle Market').
    If the boundaries are shown, I can't see them.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 07-07-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Default St Paul's Church Derby Lane Stoneycroft

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    That photo's very interesting, but I think a mistake was made.
    St Paul's was built either on the site of Stoneycroft House, or very close to it.
    The 1905 OS map even shows the 'S' of 'STONEYCROFT' is in Brookland Road, yards away from the tram depot at the corner of Green Lane and Prescot Road.
    'STANLEY' is shown on the same map to the left of Church Road, off Prescot Road (south of the 'Liverpool Cattle Market').
    If the boundaries are shown, I can't see them.
    I think the probable answer is that St Paul's parish was carved out of the parish of St Anne, Stanley which at one time also included Stoneycroft. It was thus named St Paul's, Stanley. No doubt the locals knew the area was really Stoneycroft !!

St Paul's was the last church built in Liverpool by the Anglo-Catholic Horsfall family. It took its name from St Paul's Church, St Paul's Square off Old Hall St to which the Horsfalls also owned the right of presentation.

Hi Taffy,
    This is the parish boundary of St. Anne, Stanley.

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/90

St. Paul Derby Lane is linked by using the same clergy as St. Anne. They have a good website that is very informative. I know that area quite well but I have learned a lot from reading their site.

http://www.saintannestanley.co.uk/
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default Stoneycroft

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    Hi Taffy,
    This is the parish boundary of St. Anne, Stanley.

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/90

St. Paul Derby Lane is linked by using the same clergy as St. Anne. They have a good website that is very informative. I know that area quite well but I have learned a lot from reading their site.

http://www.saintannestanley.co.uk/
    Thanks Shytalk. My comment about boundaries was that St Paul's was probably carved out of the original St Anne's boundaries. The link shows these new boundaries for St Anne's, Stanley.

Interestingly All Saints Church on Broadgreen Rd also claim to be in Stoneycroft !! Stoneycroft's boundaries seem as flexible as those of Aigburth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All Saints Stoneycroft sign Liverpool March 2006 043.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	3727   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All Saints Stoneycroft Liverpool.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	3728  

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Thanks Shytalk. My comment about boundaries was that St Paul's was probably carved out of the original St Anne's boundaries. The link shows these new boundaries for St Anne's, Stanley.
    You are quite right, it is mentioned on the website that it was carved out of St. Anne's parish. This is a link to the parish boundary map.

http://www.acny.org.uk/parish.php?p=22/91

I haven't found much information on All saints Broadgreen Rd. yet.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default Stoneycroft

When I was little we lied in Crofton Rd, behind what is now Weatherspoons
    ( was called GAS-LEC then), If anyone asked where we were from my mum would allways say STONEYCROFT! Because "it sounded better than,OLD SWAN"

Default Stanley

There was a rumour that the new Liverpool Hospital was going to be built on the area covered by the abbatoir. Yes, the Stanley pub still has the scaffolding on it. As for names, Fairfield starts from around the bridge on Prescot Road (and up towards Kensington) and everything the other side (Stanley area) would, I presume be classed as Old Swan. Mind you, I live in Tuebrook and have had letters sent to me in the past addressed as Old Swan and Stoneycroft.

Last edited by Mark R; 08-13-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    It is Accomplished

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123