Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Carbuncle at Pier Head

Blog Entries

Default A Carbuncle at Pier Head

Pier Head, c1925Pier Head, 1968Pier Head, March 2011I took a stroll down to Pierhead today to reassess the new Ferry terminal. In 2009, the building won the Carbuncle Cup for the worst designed British building of the year. The three judges for the Building Design (BD) magazine said the Merseytravel building was “a shining example [...]

More...

Blog Entries

Thanks Colin, I enjoyed seeing the 3 pics oiver time

Maybe we can begin now with designs for a new one
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

http://www.liverpoolcityportal.co.uk.../pierhead.html

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liver...0252-24548157/

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/

This building has featured on Yo! time and time again. It seems to be a part of town that attracts the casual stroller, nothing wrong with that.
    The building does not appear on many of the sites that come up when I searched for 'Pier Head'. Maybe that has something to do with the award or something to do with the fact that there are many more impressive and more permanent buildings to be seen.
    I take it that the main function of the building is as a ticket office. There is something on one side of the roof, a cafe or something, somewhere to sit and take in the scene. This strikes me as a little odd that this building itself gives people a view of those other more stately buildings round about and not out over the river or both even.
    It looks (if I have this right) a little better in the picture on the last site linked above, viewed from the water.
    All in all the thing either performs it's function or it does not, looks good on approach from the river or not, but it has always looked 'pop' or cookie to me, which is as much Liverpool as maritime history is.
    What should it look like, what part must it play in the look and process of the area?
    Does it work?

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

Awe nits!!!
    I have had another look at the view from the water and the 'double trumpet' is not the ticket office, as you all knew anyway. I see that from the water this building looks like a letter box of glass and concrete. Not as cool as I had hoped/thought.
    Then again it does not get in the way of or detract from the view of the more stately structures. [much]

For some reason 1968 looks part of the waterfront,only needed a revamp and kept to its original design.

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

I remember sitting at the pierhead many a time having a cup o tea and I kid yer not but a tramp I used to always see down there said those infamous words of Yozzers story......

<Scottish accent mode on>

See you jimmy...have yer got ten bob...a need a pair o shoes.

Blog Entries

Was he expecting a Postal Order from Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    I remember sitting at the pierhead many a time having a cup o tea .....
    I had a cup of tea and a quick lunch in that ugly building. I think it's the only tea spot at the Pier Head now.

The food was overpriced, very slow service, microwaved and tasted awful....

I know it's not a place for fine dining, but at least a nice cuppa would be expected.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I had a cup of tea and a quick lunch in that ugly building. I think it's the only tea spot at the Pier Head now.

I know it's not a place for fine dining, but at least a nice cuppa would be expected.
    Maybe you pay for the singular pleasure of NOT being able to see the building you are in whereas it is visible from everywhere else.

The 1968 view suits for me. I remember the yellow mosaic buildings, diagonally parked buses, subways, long walkways you could run through - or ride your bike (probably illegally) oh and the roof viewing area.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post

Bring back Stan Waters, even if they did only have two kinds of soup "tick and "tin" it was always hot.

I like the carbuncle,don't know about the tea,though!

Blog Entries

The carbuncle was obviously designed by a Picasso of architecture. There are the Three Graces, and then there is The Disgrace - in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I like the carbuncle,don't know about the tea,though!
    I don't mind the carbuncle either.

Just noticed in the second of Colin's photos - the statues have been moved ??
    They were on the left towards the Albert Dock - now they are further down to the right by the Liver ? have a look here - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=live...N&hl=en&tab=wl

Yes, the statues had to be relocated to make way for the canal. They were none too careful about it, as various chips and dents testify. Mind you, I think that the canal was a good idea and at least they didn't just demolish the statues, which I'm pretty sure would have happened during the sixties, seventies or eighties.

Just shows how observant I am !! I've been there a number of times and not noticed !

It was only seeing Colin's picture that made me realise they were not in the same place.

Sydney,sunshine capital of the world ex Norris Green-ex Croxteth

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_2 View Post
    Bring back Stan Waters, even if they did only have two kinds of soup "tick and "tin" it was always hot.
    And the meat pies were good too

Pud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast