Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aigburth Vale and Sefton Park

I still don't get your answer, and the question still stands, did they make divided roads with two-way traffic on either side of the central divider?
    If the road was wide enough at the time,yes.

I give up, the car is going the right way,the traffic direction of driving has not changed in the UK

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    I don't think you were there in 1920....

Mersey Rd is 1500 ft SE of the picture and is the road off Aigburth Rd. going towards the river and Aigburth train station. The other direction goes up the hill to Barkhill Womens Phys Ed college...err JMU... and is called Barkhill Rd. For the drinkers, it's one short block from the Sakara Wine bar...

I was only out a little bit....

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 PM ----------

Az it was still there when I was growing up!!!

The negative may have been reversed. That used to happen a lot when you had copies made of pics in the 60's

Err... no again... the cars are going away from the photographer and if it's dual carriageway then they are on the US side of the road. Check out the tyre on the back of the car.

It almost looks like two parallel roads on either side of the tram tracks, with each one being two-way.

Did they make roads like that in the 20's alongside tram tracks?

When I used that section of road last month I was driving towards the photographer and no-one was honking at me....
    Az it was still there when I was growing up!!!

The negative may have been reversed. That used to happen a lot when you had copies made of pics in the 60's

I went to St Michael in the Hamlet Girl Guides
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Hi AZ et al

I don't know what the answer to the direction of the traffic might be to the way it looks in that old photograph, but it clearly shows that there is two-way traffic on both sides of the dual carriageway. I might suggest though that conceivably the one road nearer the river was for through traffic and the other road where the shops are was for local traffic. Just a theory mind!

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

The negative may have been reversed.
    Lol,I guess they musta moved the shops then,Roni.

Here's the flip side for Roni....

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Lol,I guess they musta moved the shops then,Roni.
    Smart Arse

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    Here's the flip side for Roni....
    See now that looks right to me as well, I should remember better, I had friends in Aigburth and went to Guides. Also in my teens there was a after school teen dance. (Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. we were told not to go as they were Protestants!! I told the teacher most of my cuzzies were Proddies! Not a happy woman!

Smart Arse
    You bet.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi AZ et al

I don't know what the answer to the direction of the traffic might be to the way it looks in that old photograph, but it clearly shows that there is two-way traffic on both sides of the dual carriageway. I might suggest though that conceivably the one road nearer the river was for through traffic and the other road where the shops are was for local traffic. Just a theory mind!

Chris
    We drove through Aigburth all the time, far as I remember it was just dual carriageway, no local traffic specials!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    Hi AZ et al

Chris
    Yes... that's what it looks like to me.... a quite different arrangement from the later dual carriageway...

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    .....I went to St Michael in the Hamlet Girl Guides
    I remember that was one of the first schools my dad taught at after WWII - early 50's....

I'll check the attic again for stuff next time I'm back in Liverpool - it was too cold to go up there this last Feb...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12