Thread: Ex pat makes good.

Default Ex pat makes good.

A week ago last week the Toronto Star carried the following headline and byline;
    Revue Cinema rescued
    Closed theatre bought by
    working-class hero from
    Liverpool, who lets
    film society take over.
    The story concerns ex-pat Danny Mullin who has been in Canada since 1959 and owns a substantial real estate portfolio in Toronto. His properties include the theatre on Roncesvalles Avenue which opened in 1912 and lays claim to being one of Canada's oldest cinemas.

Mullin, 79, came to Canada from his home town of Liverpool, in 1959 but still has a "Scouse" accent you could cut with a knife. Describing how he met his wife Mullins, who was a bartender at the U of T faculty club says "I gave her the auld Scouse wink and told her I will marry her. She didin't know what hit her."

Mullins, who was a docker in his native Liverpool and worked a 52 hour week has in his years in Canada been a waiter, bartender, garbage collecter and a cleaner.

I have since learned that Danny Mullin was from Hunter Street and lived facing Charlie Evan's stables a few doors down from Rose Place, the street of my birth.
    Help find Madeleine

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by Sloyne View Post
    A week ago last week the Toronto Star carried the following headline and byline;
    Revue Cinema rescued
    Closed theatre bought by
    working-class hero from
    Liverpool, who lets
    film society take over.
    The story concerns ex-pat Danny Mullin who has been in Canada since 1959 and owns a substantial real estate portfolio in Toronto. His properties include the theatre on Roncesvalles Avenue which opened in 1912 and lays claim to being one of Canada's oldest cinemas.

Mullin, 79, came to Canada from his home town of Liverpool, in 1959 but still has a "Scouse" accent you could cut with a knife. Describing how he met his wife Mullins, who was a bartender at the U of T faculty club says "I gave her the auld Scouse wink and told her I will marry her. She didin't know what hit her."

Mullins, who was a docker in his native Liverpool and worked a 52 hour week has in his years in Canada been a waiter, bartender, garbage collecter and a cleaner.

I have since learned that Danny Mullin was from Hunter Street and lived facing Charlie Evan's stables a few doors down from Rose Place, the street of my birth.

Great Story Sloyne,thanks for posting it.From Hunty and still got his accent after all these years,,,Shows yer eh Lad ..Pah to all this lar de da phoney m'larky..Some people eh..make a bit of a name for themselves and it goes to their heads and they start talkin' all strange like..WHY...
    WHY do they want to be something they're not..baffles me that one ??
    Last edited by Gerard; 07-16-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Great Story Sloyne,thanks for posting it.From Hunty and still got his accent after all these years,,,Shows yer eh Lad ..Pah to all this lar de da phoney m'larky..Some people eh..make a bit of a name for themselves and it goes to their heads and they start talkin' all strange like..WHY...
    WHY do they want to be something they're not..baffles me that one ?
    I still have my accent and my wife, a Toxteth girl, still has her's and we are as broad as the day we left Liverpool. Mind you, we haven't been away from Liverpool as long as Danny Mullin. We only left Liverpool in 1966.

I found out, when talking with Danny, that we shared the same air raid shelter. Charlie Evan's (we pronounced it Ivins) stable was are local shelter and was his too. He was probably assigned to keeping us infants amused while our parents did other stuff.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-28-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Gerard

I still have my accent and my wife, a Toxteth girl, still has her's and we are as broad as the day we left Liverpool. Mind you, we haven't been away from Liverpool as long as Danny Mullin. We only left Liverpool in 1966.

Good fer you an yer missus Sloyne..

Gerard

I found out, when talking with Danny, that we shared the same air raid shelter. Charlie Evan's (we pronounced it Ivins) stable was are local shelter and was his too. He was probably assigned to keeping us infants amused while our parents did other stuff.
    I believe the stables were on Comus St or were there many of them.
    I know one used to be right next door to the Pontack on Christian St where Halls builders was..we were never out of there as kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I hope yer see this piccie Danny Mullin and it brings back happy memories for yer Lad..The old courts and slums of Gerard St and Circus St were just to the left and you would propably have known my mams family..The Gaskill's/Gerard's from Gerard St before Gerard Gardens were built..
    My Aunt was the 1st child born in Gerard Gardens..yer dont see that in many books Im afraid.
    I'll see that he gets a copy. George Gaskill is my best mate here in Canada. He, and his wife Betty, live in Guelph, ON., in the summer and Victoria, BC., in the winter. Betty is a Barry from St. Alphonse's parish.

I am related to the Fitzpatrick's (my mother) from Rose Place and Gerard Gdns. One branch of our family was wiped out in the air raid shelter in Gerard Gdns. Also had family in the "Four Squares", Fitz's, Kaerny's, Williams's, Kearns's and Murphy's.
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-28-2007 at 04:35 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Sloyne. I recognise some of those names but not sure they will still be the same ones, i'm talking about the 70s and 80s David and Michael Williams, John Fitz, Alan Kearns etc- Also I didn't know about any fatalities in the Gerard Gardens air raid shelters, only Blackstock Gardens and Myrtle?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Sloyne. I recognise some of those names but not sure they will still be the same ones, i'm talking about the 70s and 80s David and Michael Williams, John Fitz, Alan Kearns etc- Also I didn't know about any fatalities in the Gerard Gardens air raid shelters, only Blackstock Gardens and Myrtle?
    I'll have to ask one of my aunts and get back to you. The names I posted are probably a very different generation to yours. My aunt Rosie Williams (nee Fitzpatrick) lived in the flats on Rose Place, facing Scotland Road. Her husband Joey Williams was a bookie. Sadly, neither are still living, both would have been in their eighties now. My cousin, Eileen Kearns (nee Williams) worked in Tom Peppers as a cleaner.
    Do you remember "Yankee Tom" Murphy who married Nora Fitzpatrick? Maybe you knew my uncle Willy Fitzpatrick who moved from Rose Place and went to live in the Four Squares. He was an usher at the Friary?
    Last edited by Sloyne; 06-28-2007 at 05:11 PM.
    Help find Madeleine

Blog Entries

Was in Canada briefly in 1998, made a short trip while visiting family in New York. Did the Orange Parade in Toronto on the Saturday, and then the Eastern Ontario parade in Stittsville near Ottawa on the Monday. It is amazing how big the Institution was in Canada years ago, have you seen any parades in your local areas?