Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woburn House Old Swan??????

Gnomie

Default Woburn House Old Swan??????

Does anyone know anything about a WOBURN HOUSE that once stood at the top of Woburn Hill off Green Lane Old Swan?

The house is there in 1906, opposite is a place called The Grange. both are now gone. i know that the houses that stand there now where built after WW2. I cannot find anything at all about Woburn House? can anyone help?

Cheers

Tony

PhilipG

Hello Tony.

I'd never heard of it, but here it is on the 1925 OS map.
    It has to be said that it's not much bigger than the terraced houses in Woburn Hill, so I'll be very surprised if it's mentioned anywhere.

Do you know what number it was in Woburn Hill?
    The 1936 Gore's directory list 40A & 40B as the last houses on that side of Woburn Hill.

I've just checked the 1968 Kelly's, and the last houses on that side are 40A, 48, 50 & 52, so it looks 3 houses were built on the site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woburn hill.jpg 
Views:	866 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	3581  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-23-2007 at 01:49 PM.

MarkA

The 1894 map has Claremont where The Grange is.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    The 1894 map has Claremont where The Grange is.

Probably renamed later by a new owner.

Gnomie

Thanks for the help

So it was just a normal house. has anyone any idea when the houses in Woburn Hill where built?
    I went up there yesterday and if you know the area then the old Carlton cinema is at the end of Green lane, next to it is the old Venue night club. next to the venue is a very nice white victorian house, set back in grounds. used as a home of some sort.well it used to be, i got a right shock to see boards up around it. i looked through and they have flattened it. took away a cracker house for whatever they are building on the venue ground, flats i think. im really shocked they could just knock the house down, shame on them

PhilipG

I'd say the way it's set in its own grounds (like the house opposite) that it's probably older than the terraced property in Woburn Hill.
    I'll check some older maps.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-24-2007 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    has anyone any idea when the houses in Woburn Hill where built?
    I was looking on Google for it last night, and Woburn House appears in the 1851 Census of Liverpool, so it's at least that old.

PhilipG

It was built some time between 1835 and 1847.
    This is part of the 1847 OS map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woburn_1847.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	3605  

Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Thanks for the help

So it was just a normal house. has anyone any idea when the houses in Woburn Hill where built?
    I went up there yesterday and if you know the area then the old Carlton cinema is at the end of Green lane, next to it is the old Venue night club. next to the venue is a very nice white victorian house, set back in grounds. used as a home of some sort.well it used to be, i got a right shock to see boards up around it. i looked through and they have flattened it. took away a cracker house for whatever they are building on the venue ground, flats i think. im really shocked they could just knock the house down, shame on them
    hi gnomie,
    like you, i was shocked to see what was, "Ozanam" house flattened!! (that name was,until quite recently, over the doorway) it was one of a series of georgian houses along that part of Green lane which i thought, would be listed, or have some type of preservation order, but apparently not! Do you know much about the history of that area? it looks like it may have been a quite well to do place, at one time, and ironically, there's recently been a couple of million spent on the church,just opposite!
    steve.
    STEVE.

In one of those houses the dreaded Dr. Ford the dentist had his practice.
    He was about the worst dentist in Liverpool.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

Default Woburn House

Just in response to comments earlier in year,
    I was told recently (after buying a house where the old one used to be) that it fell into disrepair and collapsed in the 1930s. It was identical to number 12 (i think) on the same road. Also the person that I was talking to says that they have pictures of the house. If still interested let me know

)

Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    In one of those houses the dreaded Dr. Ford the dentist had his practice.
    He was about the worst dentist in Liverpool.
    Yes, I can vouch for that. Several people I know referred to him as "The Butcher." I remember him taking a tooth out of mine once and he was really p***** off that I wouldn't open my mouth (I was reluctant to)... Another time he took a tooth of mine out that had an abscess.
    It is Accomplished

The last I heard about this dentist, he was putting a wisdom tooth in for Chippie.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The last I heard about this dentist, he was putting a wisdom tooth in for Chippie.
    A wisdom tooth for Chippie?
    Over to you, Chippie.

chippie

Default wats a wizdom tuth? you takin, the p***

As a matter of fact lads I,ve got no wisdom teeth at all, and there,s a story about my first extraction that will make you sick, but I,ll put it on my story page for the non sqeamish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast