YO! Liverpool
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Woburn House Old Swan??????

  1. #1
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default Woburn House Old Swan??????

    Does anyone know anything about a WOBURN HOUSE that once stood at the top of Woburn Hill off Green Lane Old Swan?

    The house is there in 1906, opposite is a place called The Grange. both are now gone. i know that the houses that stand there now where built after WW2. I cannot find anything at all about Woburn House? can anyone help?


    ADVERTISING




    Cheers

    Tony

  2. #2
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Hello Tony.

    I'd never heard of it, but here it is on the 1925 OS map.
    It has to be said that it's not much bigger than the terraced houses in Woburn Hill, so I'll be very surprised if it's mentioned anywhere.

    Do you know what number it was in Woburn Hill?
    The 1936 Gore's directory list 40A & 40B as the last houses on that side of Woburn Hill.

    I've just checked the 1968 Kelly's, and the last houses on that side are 40A, 48, 50 & 52, so it looks 3 houses were built on the site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woburn hill.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	3581  
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-23-2007 at 12:49 PM.

  3. #3
    MarkA
    Guest MarkA's Avatar

    Default

    The 1894 map has Claremont where The Grange is.


  4. #4
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
    The 1894 map has Claremont where The Grange is.

    Probably renamed later by a new owner.

  5. #5
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Thanks for the help

    So it was just a normal house. has anyone any idea when the houses in Woburn Hill where built?
    I went up there yesterday and if you know the area then the old Carlton cinema is at the end of Green lane, next to it is the old Venue night club. next to the venue is a very nice white victorian house, set back in grounds. used as a home of some sort.well it used to be, i got a right shock to see boards up around it. i looked through and they have flattened it. took away a cracker house for whatever they are building on the venue ground, flats i think. im really shocked they could just knock the house down, shame on them

  6. #6
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    I'd say the way it's set in its own grounds (like the house opposite) that it's probably older than the terraced property in Woburn Hill.
    I'll check some older maps.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 06-24-2007 at 10:27 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member iain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wavertree
    Age
    37
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    has anyone any idea when the houses in Woburn Hill where built?
    I was looking on Google for it last night, and Woburn House appears in the 1851 Census of Liverpool, so it's at least that old.

  8. #8
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    It was built some time between 1835 and 1847.
    This is part of the 1847 OS map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	woburn_1847.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	3605  

  9. #9
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnomie View Post
    Thanks for the help

    So it was just a normal house. has anyone any idea when the houses in Woburn Hill where built?
    I went up there yesterday and if you know the area then the old Carlton cinema is at the end of Green lane, next to it is the old Venue night club. next to the venue is a very nice white victorian house, set back in grounds. used as a home of some sort.well it used to be, i got a right shock to see boards up around it. i looked through and they have flattened it. took away a cracker house for whatever they are building on the venue ground, flats i think. im really shocked they could just knock the house down, shame on them
    hi gnomie,
    like you, i was shocked to see what was, "Ozanam" house flattened!! (that name was,until quite recently, over the doorway) it was one of a series of georgian houses along that part of Green lane which i thought, would be listed, or have some type of preservation order, but apparently not! Do you know much about the history of that area? it looks like it may have been a quite well to do place, at one time, and ironically, there's recently been a couple of million spent on the church,just opposite!
    steve.
    STEVE.

  10. #10
    Senior Member shytalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Pocahontas.Arkansas. U.S.A.
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    In one of those houses the dreaded Dr. Ford the dentist had his practice.
    He was about the worst dentist in Liverpool.
    You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.
    Winston Churchill

  11. #11
    Newbie tmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Woburn House

    Just in response to comments earlier in year,
    I was told recently (after buying a house where the old one used to be) that it fell into disrepair and collapsed in the 1930s. It was identical to number 12 (i think) on the same road. Also the person that I was talking to says that they have pictures of the house. If still interested let me know

    )

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mark R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shytalk View Post
    In one of those houses the dreaded Dr. Ford the dentist had his practice.
    He was about the worst dentist in Liverpool.
    Yes, I can vouch for that. Several people I know referred to him as "The Butcher." I remember him taking a tooth out of mine once and he was really p***** off that I wouldn't open my mouth (I was reluctant to)... Another time he took a tooth of mine out that had an abscess.
    It is Accomplished

  13. #13
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    The last I heard about this dentist, he was putting a wisdom tooth in for Chippie.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  14. #14
    PhilipG
    Guest PhilipG's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The last I heard about this dentist, he was putting a wisdom tooth in for Chippie.
    A wisdom tooth for Chippie?
    Over to you, Chippie.

  15. #15
    chippie
    Guest chippie's Avatar

    Default wats a wizdom tuth? you takin, the p***

    As a matter of fact lads I,ve got no wisdom teeth at all, and there,s a story about my first extraction that will make you sick, but I,ll put it on my story page for the non sqeamish.

  16. #16
    Gnomie
    Guest Gnomie's Avatar

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tmg View Post
    Just in response to comments earlier in year,
    I was told recently (after buying a house where the old one used to be) that it fell into disrepair and collapsed in the 1930s. It was identical to number 12 (i think) on the same road. Also the person that I was talking to says that they have pictures of the house. If still interested let me know

    )
    Hi tmg

    Im still very interested in the house. you say they have a picture, could you post it here?

    Tony

  17. #17
    Newbie Martin0123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default hello

    Woburn House, Tavistock Square leafy vegetables in the north end is located in the heart of Bloomsbury. This is a small, intimate meeting rooms to a large number of privacy and to break with a large conference room is full of areas you out, you need to Woburn House Conference Center to accommodate you attractive option.

  18. #18
    Martin hmtmaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Stoneycroft / Old Swan
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    about on you are what

  19. #19
    Re-member Ged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Here, there & everywhere.
    Posts
    7,198
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Hwta ?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

    Updated weekly with old and new pics.

  20. #20
    pfft Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Wo Burn it baby
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

  21. #21
    Newbie Shaney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I used to live in Woburn House, Woburn Hill Stoneycroft until we moved to Hoylake in 1955, my father sold it to a developer and it was raised to the ground and they built on the land.
    The house was a big old Georgian house with big pillars at the front and a long winding stairway made from mahogany I remember. if anybody can tell me anything about it and/or has any photographs I would love to hear from them.
    Jennifer nee McShane.

  22. #22
    Senior Member wsteve55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Crosby
    Posts
    2,199
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaney View Post
    I used to live in Woburn House, Woburn Hill Stoneycroft until we moved to Hoylake in 1955, my father sold it to a developer and it was raised to the ground and they built on the land.
    The house was a big old Georgian house with big pillars at the front and a long winding stairway made from mahogany I remember. if anybody can tell me anything about it and/or has any photographs I would love to hear from them.
    Jennifer nee McShane.
    I think there's an old thread on here,about this house,and that area.Try the search box.!

  23. #23
    Newbie Shaney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default WOBURN HOUSE

    Hi Tony,
    My family owned Woburn House up until 1955 when we moved to Hoylake, it was a massive old Georgian mansion, though it was in a bad state of repair. We were a family of 7 children and I have quite a few memories of the house although I was 8 when we left. Opposite were police houses but I don't know when they were built.

    My Father sold the house which was razed to the ground and new houses where built on the land. Did you ever find out any more about the house?



    JENNIFER

  24. #24
    pfft Spike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Hi Jen

    Great info.

    Sorry I have been unable to find anything out or a photo. The Police houses are still there although the Policemen are now gone. They were built not long after WW2. Nothing else?

    Tony
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Similar Threads

  1. Tesco Old Swan
    By Kev in forum Liverpool East
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 01:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

For daily updates, to support us further or to join in the conversation: Follow us on Twitter @YOLiverpool / Like our Facebook Page: @yoliverpoolpics / Join the Facebook Group: YO! Liverpool Pictures

× Thanks for coming to the web site. Support our future by turning off your Ad-Blocker or consider a donation via PayPal or Credit Card!