Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you recognise this church?

Quote Originally Posted by alansimp View Post
    How about All Saints, Bentley Road.

If you check the Alan Godfrey map of Princes Park, you can see that the church is on a bend in the road. There is some text on the bottom of the pic - I can see All and possibly Bentley - what do you think ?

Alan
    I've copied the photo, inverted the colours and zoomed in. I can confirm that it does indeed say ALL SAINTS, BENTLEY ROAD. Well spotted Alan.

I can see `S at the end of the name, the road I can see something like, part of a B or K then an E_ _LEY ROAD,and that`s with one eye.
    So I would agree with alansimp.
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie1 View Post
    Alan and Ged..........you must eat a lot of carrots! Where is the text?!!!
    I can't see that wording either. Amazing.
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Blog Entries

The mystery is solv-ed.
    This IS a good reason why Sherlock Holmes carried a magnifying glass. You live and learn.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    All Saints, Bentley Road was demolished in 1974. There's housing there now.
    LOL I googled exactly the same
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Blog Entries

Is this it, the sixth picture down the page?

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/page/15/

...say no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post
    Not unless they knocked the houses down
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Could it be that the name was removed from the photo because it was the wrong name for the church?

anyway well done Allen.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

In 1902 there where only two "All Saints Churches"at the time.

All Saints Church, Toxteth Park (Prince's park)
    All Saints Church, Great Nelson street, Consecrated 22nd December, 1848

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:13 PM ----------

Sorry make that 5

All Saint's, Oakfield
    All Saint's Parish Church, Childwall.
    All Saint's Church, Stoneycroft, Broad Green road, built 1875.

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...:1&um=1&itbs=1

Blog Entries

The church was in Bentley Road and the vicar in 1950 was a Reverend Longbottom. Tiber Street school used to have some services held there and a scout and cub group was run by one of the churchwardens. If some enterprising Yo'er were to look in the Echo's archives they would come across some scandal that was attached to the prelate and his wardens. Paedophilia. My mother came and dragged me out of the cub meeting because she had just gotten wind of the rumours. I found out what they meant when they spoke of the infamy in whispers.
    One rainy afternoon Stanley G. and I were walking back to Lodge Lane when a Rover saloon drew up beside us,The very reverend wound down his window and asked if we would like a lift. We jumped in,Stanley getting in the front passenger seat, and I in the back. There was no conversation,saving for the occasional "ooh" from Stanley in the front. He let us out at the top of Mozart Street and shot off to Bentley Road. I was just about to say how great the ride was when Stanley said " 'E had 'is 'and stuck down the back of me keks and was feeling me bum"
    We kept well clear of that church from that day onwards!
    BrianD

Was this him, Brian?

Great Homer Street was the dividing line between the 'Catholic' and the 'Protestant' areas of North Liverpool, and walking along it from the Kirkdale road end, the left hand side was known as the Protestant side. The HQ Church of the Orange Lodge run by the Rev. H.D. Longbottom (the Ian Paisley of Liverpool), was up the top end of Conyers St. At the bottom of Conyers Street, opposite Great Mersey Street, was a single hand-operated petrol pump "ROP", the only petrol pump of any sort within 3 or 4 miles. There were no 'Forecourts' of today's universal brand names then, and relatively few motorcars. "ROP" stood for Russian Oil Products! The neighbouring streets running uphill bore Eastern Mediterranean names, Zante, Conyers, Crete, Candia, and Mytelene.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oudeis View Post

http://streetsofliverpool.co.uk/page/15/

...say no more.

Hi Oudeis, The picture you refer to is St Margaret's on Belmont Road. I have had confirmation from Paul Laxton that it is indeed All Saints, Bentley Road - he cleared the church out in 1972. I am amazed that there is text visible on the scan - there is nothing visible on the photograph. It would seem the light spectrum of the scanner has picked out what is invisible to the naked eye (even with a magnifying glass). Thank you all for your valuable help.

Good one,Colin.

Bit like those security pens you could buy and write a name and address on and it wsn't visible to the eye until you shone a handheld infared light upon the item,also what the scientifc police use to detec traces of blood thats been wiped from the scene of crime.

Now about that photie I asked for earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by brian daley View Post
    The church was in Bentley Road and the vicar in 1950 was a Reverend Longbottom. Tiber Street school used to have some services held there and a scout and cub group was run by one of the churchwardens. If some enterprising Yo'er were to look in the Echo's archives they would come across some scandal that was attached to the prelate and his wardens. Paedophilia. My mother came and dragged me out of the cub meeting because she had just gotten wind of the rumours. I found out what they meant when they spoke of the infamy in whispers.
    One rainy afternoon Stanley G. and I were walking back to Lodge Lane when a Rover saloon drew up beside us,The very reverend wound down his window and asked if we would like a lift. We jumped in,Stanley getting in the front passenger seat, and I in the back. There was no conversation,saving for the occasional "ooh" from Stanley in the front. He let us out at the top of Mozart Street and shot off to Bentley Road. I was just about to say how great the ride was when Stanley said " 'E had 'is 'and stuck down the back of me keks and was feeling me bum"
    We kept well clear of that church from that day onwards!
    BrianD

Rev Longbottom ?? are we talking the same person here ?

I have this old photo of my great aunt, taken on a picnic day out with Rev Longbottom !
    I suppose it's the same man ??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24-03-2011 17;54;19.JPG 
Views:	164 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	19178  

Blog Entries

Hi Lindy & Georgie
    The very reverend looked a bit like the man in your picture, I am not sure how old he was,he was a tall well set man who a ruddy complexion and was balding. The time I wrote of was 59 years ago,so it is possible that he was the man in the picture,but the cloche hats of the young ladies would seem to put that pi cture on the twenties or early thirties. Could be that there were more Longbottoms who were vicars,
    BrianD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast