Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conyers Street, Everton.

Default Conyers Street, Everton.

Looking down from Netherfield Road North towards Kirkdale Road. This is showing Nos 4-12 on 15th May 1959.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Nos. 38-74 0n 8th April 1959.

Nos. 1-7

Here's 52 & 54 complete with Persil clean washing on the line. Unfortunately, the city engineers photograph though is not to record the cleaning skills of the householder but the dilapidated walls which is one reason they are about to be demolished.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

And that ain't no sales rep in the 2nd pic.

Probably the rent man or the club man

The houses in pic' 3 look georgian,a remnant of Everton's upper class past!

Probably the rent man or the club man
    I was thinking more along the lines of....DHSS or the local school truant board inspectors.

Blog Entries

Great images Ged, really good work.

Second-to-last image [the Georgian property] - notice the bricked-up cellars. The neighbouring property still has its cellar intact. I expect these would have been jammed with Irish immigrants following the potatoe famine in the pre-Dr. Duncan days?
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."... ... ... Mark Twain.

Yes, great observations.

Blog Entries

great Photos again Ged... Conyers St is now Jason Street
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Yeah, it's strange why they rename them. I'm told that on pic 2, there's a cut through near the bottom and that was the original Jason St, not checked it on my old maps though.

Blog Entries

I think Jason St used to go round by where the Jester Pub /Hardacres funeral parlour is ....thats now been renamed Medea Close.
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Yes it did. On pic 2, you can just see the top of Medea Tower popping up over the rooftops.

We lived in Conyers St, the first pic is the Great Homer St end and shows the garage and the Co Op Dairy. That double fronted doorway ,one of the houses belonged to a seafarer and was full of African carvings and all sorts of interesting stuff including stuffed animals.,house further up was where the Williams family lived the daughter( Doreen) worked in the dentists in Great Mersey St.About four more houses up were the Branigans and Flanigans two related families living next door to each other and then there was a gap between their house and Mrs Bullocks (bomb damage) and that is where they built Jason St, Medea St was off Jason St.The second shot is of the housing man going round making his offer of relocation. The top house was Mrs Clarks, then Anderson , Roberts,Oakleys and Ruddicks,Barclays and Croppers. Third pic shows Dawbers the wholesalers on the corner of Conyers they sold sweets and all sorts of stuff.The house with the steps is Dorans and again multiple branches of the same family lived in the house. The map shows a cross at the top of the street, this was a bombed space right throughto Crete St.When we lived there it seemed to be buzzing and really busy the street was very rarely empty always someone out and about.Nice 'sham blinds " on the windows and the steps all well scrubbed and the brasses polished there was even competion about best plants in the windows the Schafers and Haywoods had ancient aspidestras in big Victorian jardineres. Windows were cleaned fronts once a week and backs one a fortnight ninepence and one and six.Jaxo man, Martindales coal and ULCA laundry plus Echo and Express delivery each night and then the ice cream man the street was always full of people walking home from work either Tate and Lyle or the Docks

Cheers Doris. I've got 8 pics in all of Conyers Street. I got them for a chap on another forum that had been looking for some for years. Great memories from you there.

Thanks Ged those photos are a real gem. It was like walking down the streeet again after 50 years. It was a great street and we had brilliant neighbours.We had a car but parking was never a problem because only us, Mr Poole and Mr Tanner had cars in the whole street.When Jason St and Medea St were being built all the kids played on the building site which went through from Conyers to Thomaston St.Even the half-built 10 storey Medea Towers was an adventure playground
    At the bottom of the street in the middle of the road was the police traffic stand painted black and white the police used to be on signal duty directing the busy traffic as the junction was Scotland Road, Great Homer St, Great Mersey St, Smith St and Kirkdale Rd no traffic lights in those days.Swopping 10cent DC comics was a big thing along with kick the can, flying bulldog and of course footy played where the houses had been bombed out.The garage blew up the caseballs free of charge and loads of Dubbin from Jack Sharpes kept the ball and the tough leather boots waterproof.There was often a knock on our door and a shout for a lend of boots if someone was playing. On match days red or blue everyone walked to the game often straight from work on Saturdays. Kids would stand on Netherfield Rd asking the score as the men streamed back down at 5 o clock and then there was the race for the pink Echo a newsagents on Greaty by Sayers seemed to have the first ones I think they were a drop off point for the paper boys,6.0clock and Sports Report and the pools hoping for 8 draws for 75,000 . A season ticket in the stands in my grandads time was GBP5 then my Dad paid GBP25 This included vouchers for cup games too.I don't know what my nephews and nieces pay but I do know its in the hundreds and their seats are a million miles away from the turmoil that was the boys pen. No expensive strip to buy each season just a big wooden rattle and a scarf your Nin had knitted if you were lucky.

what a wonderful story, keep em coming Doris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast