Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conyers Street, Everton.

There seemed to be loads of kids in the street each house had three four or more and so each age group had their own mates and younger ones were watched like hawks in case they did anything wrong and it got straight back to your mum. In and out of each other houses and no notice was taken of whether they were well off or not.

Something that has been lost Doris. Some youngsters these days look up only to baddies and see a seemingly easy life - until caught - then they cry like babies in the dock.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged Hi,
    Have been back at those photos of Conyers St a few times and wondered if you could be so kind as to post the others too.Regarding an earlier post there were cellars in all the houses some in better state of repair than others but there was a copper down there which could be lit for boiling up the clothes and a mangle for squeezing the water out. The coal was delivered down the grid ( manhole cover) and the gas and electricity meters were down there so the meter reader had to go into the cellars to count up the shillings in the meter.One of the summer holiday jobs was cleaning out the big grid which used to get full of rubbish and if you were lucky dropped money down there was a bonus, there was a cellar window below the grid which also had to be cleaned.
    My older brother turned our front cellar into a gym. It was whitewashed with lime and he had a punchbag and weights down there. We also had some of my grandmothers old furniture down there too, old rosewood seachests full of all sorts of clothing and stuff my uncle had brought back from sea.Look forward to seeing the other photos . Cheers

I will check out the other photos. In the meantime, my bro-in-law has just moved into a house in Bootle which still has one of these boilers in place in his cellar.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Amazing would be called a "Utility room" with original features on Houses Under the
    Hammer on TV. It was a revelation when twin tub washing machines came in even if they did rattle around the kitchen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12