Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Grotspots

Edit: I've checked the www.wingedwheels site, and they have that plaque recorded since 1988.

Williamson Square: The 'grotspot' building has been covered in artwork. A large banner of Paul McCartney, covers one side. I only noticed it yesterday. That leaves a few more buildings that have yet to be covered with these artworks (The Futurist, Coopers, Aladdins Palace and Q-park)

I've also seen a few 'eyesore' notices on buildings. This means that the Council consider your building to be an 'eyesore', and will now carry out work to rennovate your building. Then they'll give the bill to the owner.
    I've seen these notices in Duke Street (near York Street), and Camden Street (London Road end).
    Last edited by marky; 03-12-2008 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samanthacheryl View Post
    Also does anybody remember when Phase 2 and Bubbles Pub were open?

I love old nightclubs, cinemas btw....
    I have a pic of Phase 2 open in the mid 1980s on my site below, also known as the John Lennon bar (well before the one in Mathew St). This was situated in the old Burtons building at the bottom of London road on the corner of Commutation Row.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Cost of fighting battle too high?
    Mar 20 2008
    by Toby Chapman, Liverpool Daily Post

EDGE Lane is in the news yet again today. It seems barely a week can go by without this key gateway to Liverpool making headlines in some way.

From campaigning householders battling regeneration proposals to traffic congestion clogging a main city artery, this is one area that cannot stay out of the news.

Now it is at the centre of another battle – between Liverpool council and developer Derwent Holdings – which could end up costing the city dear.

The potential cost of the legal fight to clean up the “grot spots” in this gateway could reach around £1m.

The council’s failed court challenge to force Derwent to clean up the former Traveller’s Rest site resulted in around £100,000 in legal costs.

Now Derwent is readying itself to fight eight notices on other sites – paving the way for yet more bills.

Labour leader Cllr Joe Anderson says the council’s decision to continue the legal wrangle is “absolute madness”.

But on this occasion, fighting on may well be the right thing to do.

For Derwent owns 100 acres of land on Edge Lane and proposes a £200m retail and leisure development –- far larger than the existing shopping park - on a par with Speke Retail Park.

News of this proposal will be of keen interest to Liverpool One developer Grosvenor. There are just months to go before Grosvenor’s £1bn shopping, retail and leisure ‘destination’ opens for business – and tens of thousands of visitors are expected to pour through its entrances.

A key attraction for Speke’s retail park is the free parking – and no doubt Derwent would aim to offer exactly the same incentive should it win the right to develop a rival park at Edge Lane.

Free parking is a huge lure. The Trafford Centre trades off it, Speke Retail Park enjoys boom trade as a result of it- and Liverpool One will not have any.

Edge Lane is a key area of Liverpool and is urgently in need of redevelopment – but should this be at the expense of the city centre renaissance?

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Hmmm!

Could you imagine the traffic situation on Edge Lane if this was to go ahead? Going in to Speke was once an enjoyable experience in the 'old' days when B&Q was tiny and on the same plot as the old Halfords store, now it's just murder to get in to and park.

Edge Lane wouldn't cope with anything bigger than what it's got at the moment - you'd have to fly in and out!

Seen in chinatown this week,
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Coopers

Concourse House/LFC banner

John(Zappa)

Good pics Marky

PhilipG

The pictures are fine, but the effect is awful.
    Coopers looks just like a container, and the ones on Concourse House look tatty, especially when you can still see parts of the older ones underneath.

I find the top part of that Concourse house one particularly tatty if I may say so
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Aladdin’s Palace, Lime Street (next to the Futurist) has been covered in a large 'Culture' banner in the last couple of days. Just in time for the Queens' visit.

Default Surprise surprise!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    Aladdin’s Palace, Lime Street (next to the Futurist) has been covered in a large 'Culture' banner in the last couple of days. Just in time for the Queens' visit.
    I wonder how long it will be for???

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by raymocon View Post
    I wonder how long it will be for???
    Her visit?
    5 hours.

The banner will last about 5 days before it starts coming off.
    My prediction for the day!

2 bacon butties and a cup of tea please. Could do with some posters to hide this
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Concourse House,thy days are numbered...

Our newest grotspot is probably the Baltic Triangle development marring the dock road,left half-built when the developer went bust,with no buyers so far. Just like the rusty scaffolding that sat on Whitechapel for a decade before the Met was built. Woo.

Dave.

Demolishing Lime Street shops.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast