Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Grotspots

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    I reckon away from the city center they do.
    Money needs to be spent elsewhere other than town (city center).
    You are correct. The people could see what was happening to
    the area, but never did anything to stop the rot. It is not as
    though people have moved away.

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    Shame the way they have let Breck road go.
    Its always been a bit of a scruffy shopping area but at least the shops were open!
    I have a clip of Jukebox Records from when it was on the corner.
    I used to buy some of my records there.
    When going for trainees it was Addidas Kick from champion sports and go and get a pastie and doughnut from sayers while waiting for either the 17,15 and 14 bus.The weather seemed warmer then too.
    Do you mean the record shop that used to be on the corner of Breck & Belmont ?
    It's a pizza place or something now.

John(Zappa)

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Do you mean the record shop that used to be on the corner of Breck & Belmont ?
    It's a pizza place or something now.
    Thats the one.The guy was a little (Jewish) fella.Tight git he was too

http://www.businessliverpool.co.uk/l...detractors.pdf

The above site is to do with the grot spots and the Futurist, ABC, Scandinavian Hotel, Moss Street bombdies and Jamaica House are all on there as well as many others. Some will be refurbished, some demolished. Thanks to Adman (known to me as someone else on SSC
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

PhilipG

Default Is this an improvement?

Why don't they just blow the da** place up?

Blog Entries

How come the boarded up glass windows make a pattern?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Cadfael

What gets me, is that lots of high rise flats in Liverpool have been left deralict for some time, yet along comes a developer, tarts the place up, renames them with 'Penthouse' in the title and they sell for hundreds of thousands.

You can bet your bottom dollar that this will happen to this building and the people that once hated it will start liking it again!

PhilipG

I also posted the above photo on flickr and aj1977 has said:

"It's being prepared to be covered with large banners. Last time the banners came off in the wind so they're using metal poles to secure them this time."

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Why don't they just blow the da** place up?

Took this about 10 days ago of this place from the passenger seat of a car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concoursehouse.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	4653  

Now if you hadn't said that Ste, we'd have thought it was an arty farty, angle of the dangle cracking editorial type shot for some pretentious property magazine. That's a compliment by the way. At the risk of being pilloried though, I wouldn't mind this building at all if it was tarted up like they did with Lawtons of Vauxhall road, since they're only trying to build a replica in its place anyway.
    Last edited by Ged; 12-06-2007 at 10:18 AM.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Default It's A Cover Up!

SEVEN more city centre eyesores are to be hidden by artwork during Capital of Culture year.

They include notorious grotspots Cooper’s Emporium pub in The Strand, and Aladdin’s Palace in Lime Street.

Two of the ECHO’s Stop The Rot campaign targets, the Scandinavia hotel and the White House, will be hidden behind hoardings.

The bland QPark car park, part of the £1bn Liverpool One shopping district, will be draped in a large banner to brighten it up.

The dressing-up work should be done within the next few weeks as part of Look Of The City, a multi-million pound project to brighten up Liverpool before tourists start arriving for 2008.

City officials feared rundown locations still untouched by regeneration efforts would make a bad impression on visitors.

The new list of seven buildings is added to a list containing what is widely regarded as Liverpool’s biggest eyesore Lime Street’s Concourse House, which should be covered up within days.

Other buildings due to be hidden are derelict shops behind Marks and Spencer in Williamson Square, and Kingham House in Berry Street.

Those picked are all at prominent locations likely to be visited by tourists. Cooper’s Emporium, for example, is opposite the Three Graces.

Most of the designs are those revealed by the ECHO in September and are supposed to reflect music, art, maritime heritage, creativity, people and sport.

Aladdin’s Palace will feature lines from the Liverpool Saga, a poem started by Roger McGough and continued by the people of Liverpool.

Kingham House will reflect its Chinatown location with Chinese artwork.

A piece of graffiti drawn by famous artist Banksy on the White House pub will be preserved.

nick.coligan@liverpool.com
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

PhilipG

At least we've got the warning to take photos now.
    Are tourists really going to get a good impression of Liverpool with loads of buildings covered with hoardings or banners?
    Now that the ABC/Forum cinema in Lime Street has been cleaned (with painted boarded-up windows), I do hope they're not going to cover it up with another banner.
    The Scandinavian Hotel (which was never a hotel) only needs the windows to get the same treatment as the cinema to make it look good.
    It's got a new roof and has been painted.
    Kingham Knight building in Berry Street is a rare example of an Arts & Crafts design, and certainly shouldn't be covered up.
    One of the grotspots not mentioned is the former Las Vegas in Skelhorne Street which has already closed down since becoming Liverpool's tattiest pub!
    Last edited by PhilipG; 12-13-2007 at 10:46 PM.

John(Zappa)

When I went to Rome they done that "cover up" and it looked fantastic.They should of done it to most of the city to be honest .

Cadfael

One of the grotspots not mentioned is the former Las Vegas in Skelhorne Street which has already closed down since becoming Liverpool's tattiest pub
    Pah, I shoved enough quid coins in their machines during my youth to have the building paved with gold

The ones that are due to be knocked down, like Concourse Tower - what are they waiting for? Give me a bulldozer and I'll do it for cheap

As for QPark - what's going on there - it's a brand new building yet they already need to brighten it up with a banner. If there's that much of a problem with the design, why did it get built?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast