Thread: Amos Street off Georges Hill, Everton

Default Amos Street off Georges Hill, Everton

I understand this photo of Amos Street from 17th May 1965 showing No1 to No25 (from nearest the camera) may make a certain person happy.

To see the full photo, use the scroll bar or click it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And how the backs looked from the entry with Minera Street.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Stan.
    Ged.
    Many thanks, my Grand Farther George Stanley Freeman lived in no. 5, I have been looking for a photo of Amos Street for years, now I can see the actual door that they used.

Stan.

You can gather some information from that last pic,Ged.

The houses on the right were built some 10/15 years earlier due to the fact of the stone walls and yard doors not in place,the brickwork is different on the right and backdoors are in place.

Them bins where very heavy and your binman had built like one o those in the yard showing.

Isn't that great Stan, i'm well made up for you.

Yes George. I thought i'd post that one up even tough it's only an entry as what's just an entry to some will mean something to those who might see it that used it on a regular basis. Great observation by you too.

Ged, I have printed the front view, and now it’s in a frame, so I can look at when I research the Freeman family. Your archive of photos must be extensive.

Stan

Great Stan, well done. Here's the view of the other side of the road that your Grandfather would have seen when leaving the house each day. Do you know Stan, I'm approaching 20,000 photos not included in books but i've only scratched the surface of what's in the records office. I often have 3 hours to kill on a Saturday morning so i'll press on for a bit longer yet.

Ged,
    I don’t want to start a long conversation, but thank you for the extra photo of Amos Street.
    I also use the Records Office in Sandhills at the moment, I have found many photos of the other side of my family the Russell`s living in 25 Back Mason Street, there is a photo of the doorway to 25.

Do you use the “on-line” catalogue or the index in the Records Office? I hope to meet you one Saturday to thank you properly.

Stan.

Hi Stan. The on-line catalogue is very far from complete even though there are hundreds of photos on it They are cherry picked for variety and when right clicked and saved, only appear small on your screen - then pixilate when enlarged. I therefore tend to get out the folders using the index.

I'm so thrilled to come across this thread (I was searching old Everton street maps on Google) my Nan lived in Amos street as a child (b1913) her mother died when she was 17 and she had to look after her six brothers and sisters and her father who was a cruel man. In the end her father moved to London and house was signed over to Nan who lived there with her husband sadly he died when their daughter, my aunt was two years old. Nan remarried and had another baby and her husband again passe away when my aunt was one year old.

I think she left Amos Street in the late 40's and he moved to Edge Hill, she then met my Grandad and had my mum and they were married for 40 for 43 years until Grandad passed away in 1995.

Nan is now 97 and is still going strong, I'm lucky that she can give me all the information on her fantastic if somewhat tragic life.

I'm glad you've found the pics to be of use Lou. When i'm digging out these unseen gems that mean nothing in particular to me, I know they will be like gold dust to other people out there somewhere and more and more are getting the benefits now.

My grandad died in 1926 and my dad's older sister helped their mum look after the 5 younger boys, my nan going out to work with sometimes 3 jobs from day to night to make ends meet.

I shall have to go down and get 3 copies of the rest of Everton ordenance map as the section I have doesn't cover Amos Street.

I can post up the 1908 street map if you want it George?

Gu'ed then mister.

Ok, it's at home so i'll scan it and post it later.