Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tate & Lyle Sugar Silo

Default Tate & Lyle Sugar Silo

Visited with reefdog. A bit 'spur of the moment' as we had some time to kill and the sun was just setting. Thought we'd go up onto the roof of the old conveyor tower. Inside, the damage situation was about the same - not really anything else for the kids to smash. It's a shame really - their grandfathers probably worked on the docks and lovingly maintained machinery like this. I wonder how they would feel if they knew their grandchildren were doing this? Pretty bloody disappointed I'd say...

Anyway, got some shots from the roof, and then back down. Didn't stop there though as we finally managed to get inside the concrete sugar silo itself. To say it is vast would be an understatement. It's just stupidly big, like a big hangar! I'd been up on the roof before where the conveyor track is, but never inside. Echo's were rather like those in a power station cooling tower...

That is huge inside there snap, top find. Youre gonna have to show me round that one eve and then we could work our way up the dock road towards seaforth. Also not checked out the rest of the ind estate near the titanic shipbuilders wolfe and sowenso building.

Blog Entries

Great pics Snappel
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Great pics Snappel
    What pic,s ?. I see none just the box with the red X in
    Forget that, see them now just takes so long to load

Great pictures Snappel,docked there many times on the
    Crystal,and Booker sugar boats, many old memories came back,cheers,
    Ernie.

You're welcome Ernie!

Quote Originally Posted by steveb View Post
    What pic,s ?. I see none just the box with the red X in
    Forget that, see them now just takes so long to load
    Don't know mate. My hosting provider has been pretty hit and miss to be honest. Half the time I can't even update my site because their databases are so overloaded. Plus my site's getting an unsually high amount of traffic at the moment for some reason.

Superb pics lad. And good website as well. Not sure if i'd fancy some of the views you get mind.

Excellent pics as usual

The more pics I see of those little warehouses down by Mann Island the more I'll miss them when they're cleared away for the museum...

The building closest to The Strand has been knocked down. Only noticed it a few days ago, and i walk past there 5-10 a week.

Yeah, wish I'd got some better pictures now. Left it a bit late as they've all but gone now. Shame that, but I suppose you can't keep everything.

Some more photos from the conveyor tower.

This time some interesting paperwork was found, dating back as far as the 1950s. Most of it detailed shipments of 'raw sugar' from the docks into the silo, recording the volume and weight moved, the berth the ship docked at, etc.

One sad find was a newspaper cutting, probably from the eighties, about the decline in shipping. The caption to the image showed lots of ships in the docks, and the caption read: "Glory days... A view of Canada and Huskisson docks in the days when ships queued for berths". Hardly the case now...

Gerard

Nice piccies snappel..I was in there a few weeks ago,I'll have to get mine on..

Good in there isn't it?

Thanks for the comments.

Gerard

Quote Originally Posted by snappel View Post
    Good in there isn't it?

Thanks for the comments.

Your welcome snappel..twice I went in..I've got to admit though I never went higher than the 1st floor..I'll try and get over me fear of heights and get down there again..Ive got to get up there now I've seen your new piccies..
    Excellent.

Be careful though - a couple of the staircases are missing steps. There are alternative routes, and you can get to the top safely, but especially coming down you wouldn't want to put your foot where there isn't a step!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast