Thread: Help locate wartime photo of Winston Churchill

Default Help locate wartime photo of Winston Churchill

Can anyone help me locate a wartime photo from 1941 of Churchill at Gladstone Dock.

In the photo he is wearing a peaked cap and is talking to a couple of dockers who are eating their sandwiches.

I have seen this photo somewhere - but can't track it down on Google etc.

Blog Entries

I have little doubt that U B 40fied by these, somewhere among them there will be the faces of many a Mersey-sider in wartime...

http://www.britishpathe.com/results....irkenhead&o=40

Thanks for the link - fascinating.

Does anyone remember the photo I mentioned ?

Blog Entries

I did have a fair gander around for any/all pictures of WC on the web. I plumped for that link in the hope that News Reel photographers may have been there at the same time. My only other thought is the Liverpool war room that is open to the public and may have as part of the exhibit photographs of him in Liverpool at various times and this might be a good place to begin looking at any rate.
    I suppose the only people with a real interest are the families of the dockers in the photograph, but no doubt this means you. I will and am sure others will keep our eyes peeled. Good luck.

It's not the photo you mention giropay but this is WC at Gladstone Docks in April 1941 congratulating the men. I presume the one you're after comes from this series but I can't remember where I got it from.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Thanks Ged - yes it must come from that series - I'll keep searching.....

Hi all

I don't know about photographs of Churchill at the docks in Liverpool during the war but I receive a regular heads-up about anything related to Liverpool on ebay. At present there is a photograph of Churchill that is said to have been taken in Liverpool in 1951. A copy of that image is available for $4.99 US. But if you wish to break the bank, the same image signed by photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt is available for $4,700.00 US. Go on.... what's stopping you... put a bid in.

All the best

Chris

---------- Post added at 03:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

A copy of the same image of Churchill in Liverpool 1951 by Eisenstaedt sold for $10,980 inclusive of buyer's premium in Bonham's catalogue this past May in a signed print of the photograph printed in 1994, lot no. 64. If they can print copies of these things whenever they like what makes them valuable???? I guess the key is the photographer lived until 1995, so that's what gives the premium... a collector's item as it were. (What for a signed Joe Neary or a Gerard Fleming???) Got a bit of loose change to spare, mate?

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace